Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDelusion
Stranger
Heating pad to speed up colonization?
    #543068 - 02/06/02 10:23 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Is it possible to use a heating pad to speed up colonization? It might be too hot for the jars to just sit on it. Would it work better if they were sitting just above the heating pad on somthing? Let me know what you think.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSurf Bum
Re: Heating pad to speed up colonization? [Re: Delusion]
    #543072 - 02/06/02 10:29 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

yeah set it on the lowest temp and put a towel and a piece of cardboard inbetween the jars and the bottom of your container, then after like 3 hours put them to your face to feel if they are hot, i fried a few of mine for like 3 days, some recovered some didn't still waiting on them

--------------------

OfflineVisigoth
enthusiast

#543079 - 02/06/02 10:32 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Whattup Delusion!?! Yeah man it works great. right now my friend has a big 36 gallon sterlite container w. fold down lid as an incubator, in the bottom 2 18 x 6 inch boards sit suspended off the bottom by some 1/2 pint jars, underneath the boards, is where the heating pad sits. It stays about 83 degrees in there, it's perfect, and he can also leave a small crack between the 2 boards so the heat comes up thru the middle as well as the sides. Works well!!! Good luck!!!

Vis

--------------------
"15 minutes in freezing conditions?!?! You'd become a popsicle before you made that!!!"

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Heating pad to speed up colonization? [Re: Visigoth]
    #543086 - 02/06/02 10:37 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Yep you can use that or get a gallon jug and stick an aquarium heater in there. Heating pads were a lot more expensive than the aquarium heaters around here...Just get a heater for like 12 bucks, and then a container is easy to find :smile:

You wont risk frying them with the heating pad, however if you set up the pad like they said above, you'll be fine.

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #543090 - 02/06/02 10:40 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I have two small 12qt sterilites for my incubator.....I have them sitting one inside the other....The bottom one is filled about 1/4 full with water....Then the top one sits partially submerged in the water.....A heating pad with a max temp of 83F sits under the bottom container.....

This provides for even radiant heat without the problems of hot spots and drying out of substrate often associated with heating pads. This could be modified to fit larger containers, but I just don't need a bigger one.

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

OfflineDelusion
Stranger
Re: Heating pad to speed up colonization? [Re: jonnyshaggs420]
    #543106 - 02/06/02 10:48 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks!
How much will the incubator speed up colonization?

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #543131 - 02/06/02 11:16 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

"How much will the incubator speed up colonization? "

A hell of alot faster.

I have 3 incubators......made with Large Rubbermaids....i stick a smaller Rubbermaid container inside the large one.....then stick a 50 watt submersible aquarium heater inside the large one....then stick 4" to 5" of water into the large container.....you can dial the heater into the right temp.....easy.

After you get the right temp.....84 degrees.....you can stick the jars into the smaller Rubbermaid.....so they aren't sitting in the water.

I wouldn't use a heating pad unless i lived in Alaska or parts of Canada.
Heating pads use up alot more electricity....and are a fire hazard.
Just my 2 cents worth.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom