Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemycologist
Stranger
Loc: San Francisco area
Heating methods? (was: heating pad while....)
    #388367 - 09/07/01 10:46 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

In the setup I'm putting together, heat is also an issue, not only for spawn runs, but during fruiting as well. I want to grow mushrooms year-round, but I live in a house in the wind-and-fog belt of the San Francisco area and have no central heating. This house can get very cold, with the room temperature often going below 70? F.

So basically, I want to be able to heat my culture box, without heating excessively and without dehumidifying the chamber. So far, I've heard two good recommendations:

1) A terrarium heater (the kind used for reptile vivariums) beneath the chamber and a layer of moistened perlite on the bottom of the chamber. (Will this work with a styrofoam cooler-based chamber?)

2) Put a small aquarium heater and perhaps also a fish tank bubbler in a pyrex container of water inside the chamber. This will add both heat and humidity to the environment.

Anybody here have prior experience growing mushrooms in an often-cold house? What heating solution do you recommend?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineI_AM_THE_WALRUS
addict
Re: Heating methods? (was: heating pad while....) [Re: mycologist]
    #388374 - 09/07/01 10:54 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

i live in utah...and in my house its usually around 65....swanp cooler cools it down in the winter and the heater helps in the winter...i try to keep it stabalized.
what i do is in a wooden shoe box my sister gave me one year with shelves (kinda handy) and i place the jars on the little shelves and below it on the bottom of the box i put a heating pad on high....then next to the jars i keep and temperature thingy...i forgot the name, but the temp is always stabalized around 82-85 degrees

WE CANT STOP HERE!!!!....THIS IS BAT COUNTRY

life.....its sexually transmitted and always fatal.

--------------------
TRIPLE DIPPED!?!?!?!

hey, kid.... you wanna buy some lsd?? -me

OfflineNumba9
Veteran tripper
 User Gallery

Loc: State of "Euphoria"
Re: Heating methods? (was: heating pad while....) [Re: I_AM_THE_WALRUS]
    #388649 - 09/08/01 11:30 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I use this  little baby.....~~~~>http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/propgte5-mats.htm  Scroll down till you get to the seedling Mat thermostat. I`ts a little spendy  but what da hell right?  keeps my jars and cakes at perfect temps  even in a cold bedroom...  shuts your heating pad off and on with a 2 degree variace :smile: Hope this helps you out

?But I don?t want to go among mad people,? Alice remarked.
?Oh, you can?t help that,? said the Cat: I`m mad,Your mad.we`re ALL MAD!!!!  hahahahaha"

--------------------
Remember..what the Door Mouse said..."Feed your Head".......... Jefferson Airplane

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
Re: Heating methods? (was: heating pad while....) [Re: I_AM_THE_WALRUS]
    #388718 - 09/08/01 01:34 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

walrus, man theyre called thermometers i believe. :)

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
Re: Heating methods? (was: heating pad while....) [Re: Numba9]
    #388728 - 09/08/01 01:44 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

actually now that i shot my worthless sense into the thread i might as well explain my heating situation, as it works amazing and its relatively cheap (~$25 if you have a terrarium or aquarium) i can fit 10 colonizing jars in my aquarium, i fil it far as i can with water w/o the jars floating or tipping. then i add about 1 cup hydrogen peroxide to it and i went out and bought a SUBMERSABLE water heater (not teh kind that hang down the side, i lay this one on its side fully in the water bath) you can set the temp right on the heater with a knob (the heater cost me liem $22) and i have a stick-on fish tank thermometer on the side for accurate measuring. set the temp at 85 for my cubies, wrap up the top with saran wrap and viola. needs almost no attention (although i find myself taking them out and examining them quite often). i am a new mycologist and am going to experiment this method with no lids on the jars to help air exchange. probably mest to use micron filters as lids but theyre not coming in till later this week but i wanna see if it will work being sealed with h2o2 in there also. it was working great at first till i realized that w/o the saran wrap top and my poor mixture to begin with, the cakes dried out too much and mycellum dehydrated and died. with enclosed environment and better substrate im sure this would work great and it keep temps very consistant, id say +/- 1 degree.

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

InvisibleBillyblastoff
Psychoactivepredator
 User Gallery

Loc: Down these mean city stre...
    #388745 - 09/08/01 02:29 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I started a new batch last week and came up with the same problem cause things have cooled a bit up here. I first filled a coffee tin with water and dropped a fish tank heater in and put this in one of my empty rubbermaid type chambers. This did provide more heat but produced alot more RH than I wanted for incubating PF tek style pint jars. Plus Id have to watch the level of water also but it was just too much humidity. Looked around the house for an alternate heating device. Guess what I put in the chamber and it keeps the temp. to a constant 86 degrees? My fuckin Lava lamp...lol
At first I was wondering if the red light/glow coming from the lamp would be good/bad for growing mycelium and just decided to cover the lamp with a piece legging from an old pair of jeans. It blocks out all light and the glass does not get hot enough to burn the leggings at all. So far so good its a constant 86 in there like I said.

Tell me something good then I might agree with you..

--------------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."

"There is a wealth of information built into us, tucked away in the genetic material in every one of our cells. The psychedelic drugs allow exploration of this interior world, and insights into its nature."

Tell me something good then I might agree with you....the Smithereens

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #388933 - 09/08/01 08:07 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

one of my friends uses a grow room that gets as cold as 50degrees F at night, and on rainy days may not exceed 70. there is no auxillary heating. none. incubation times are longer. condensate on the terrarium walls can get to be a bit much. pinset is acomplished because on one day or another, the grow room gets upward of 80 F. to my surprise, when you read the PF tek and he says 'room temperature, any room temperature,' it holds true!

InvisibleBillyblastoff
Psychoactivepredator
 User Gallery

Loc: Down these mean city stre...
Re: Heating methods? (was: heating pad while....) [Re: tchyted]
    #389315 - 09/09/01 11:36 AM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Update on Lava Lamp heating method:
Ive had the Lamp on continuously for over 24 hrs and temp holding at 92 degrees.
Mycelium growth has definitely accelerated.

Tell me something good then I might agree with you..

Edited by Billyblastoff on 09/09/01 12:40 PM.

--------------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."

"There is a wealth of information built into us, tucked away in the genetic material in every one of our cells. The psychedelic drugs allow exploration of this interior world, and insights into its nature."

Tell me something good then I might agree with you....the Smithereens

Offlinepatzee
enthusiast

#390205 - 09/10/01 12:27 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

>Will this work with a styrofoam cooler-based chamber?)

The heat mat won't work "underneath" the styrofoam because it's too insulating.
My only experience is during incubation and the heat mat needed to be above the
styrofoam cooler, inside, under the cover. You must have a rheostat to control the temp
or it will become too hot. I would use the smallest mat if it's for a grow chamber with
the thermostat.

OfflineMeanMark
Loc: western oz
Re: Heating methods? (was: heating pad while....) [Re: patzee]
    #390228 - 09/10/01 12:56 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I have to add my two cents here people...styrofoam coolers suck, go with a plastic cooler. Obviously more durable, and if necessary, can easily handle high heater output. Like I said..my two cents
MeanMark

how high can you fly with broken wings......

--------------------
how high can you fly with broken wings......

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract