Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblehevvy_psi
groover

Low Budget, Low Material Availability
    #3886584 - 03/08/05 09:36 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

no mason jars. no PC. i can get spores. can you think of substitutes for almost anything one might need in a simple grow.

--------------------
egocentrism is bangin on the door
self-destructive selflessness
seeps out from the core
alone - eyes closed - an empty room
i'm curled on the floor
choose nothing, thus deciding
all the nothing i've in store.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMages
Spaz
 User Gallery
Re: Low Budget, Low Material Availability [Re: hevvy_psi]
    #3886759 - 03/08/05 10:14 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

My first grow I did on an EXTREMELY tight budget. I found some Christmas drinking glasses on sale after the holiday season at Wal-Mart (tapered, with wider mouths than bases), and used aluminum foil for lids. You might also check Goodwill or the Salvation Army stores. I couldn't afford a pressure cooker so I boiled the jars for an hour. See step 8 here: http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/3372/pag/3 After sterilizing, I ran a ring of Scotch tape around the outside near the mouths of the glasses to hold the foil in place. My most expensive investment was the coffee grinder, which was about 20 bucks. All this is from memory, and since it was about 15 years ago, forgive me if I missed something.

--------------------
- Mages

Ignorance killed the cat; curiosity was framed.
- C.J. Cherryh

Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Loc: the Moment
Re: Low Budget, Low Material Availability [Re: hevvy_psi]
    #3886792 - 03/08/05 10:25 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

you don't have to use mason jars. you can use the jars from food products found in your fridge, such as pickle jars, jelly jars, etc. the problem with those is that they can only be pressure cooked or boiled a few times before they weaken and will crack (i've only read this, it's not from direct experience). but since you don't have a pressure cooker you'll be restricted to the pftek and cakes. you can boil the jars for an hour or so--look around at the various pfteks out there for the exact time and methodology, do a search for "boil jars" or something to that effect. i've read of people using plastic containers, such as the gladware or ziplock tupperware vessels, but i'm not sure if those can really be boiled, and the microwave seems very iffy. boiling whatever jars you can scrounge up in your fridge (you may have to go on a pickle & jelly eating binge) is probably the best bet. do you have any brown rice available? any vermiculite? you'll need to post a bit more of what you DO have so we can help determine what your best options are. what about equipment for the incubation and fruiting chambers? do you have an unused aquarium and aquarium parts lying around? (preferably unused! we don't want you to sacrifice your fishies!) you'll need some method of humidification--do you have a humidifier? there are different types of humidifiers and from what i understand, only the ultrasonic and cool mist designs are preferable. you're gonna need to do some serious research and tek reading to find out what has been done in the past and worked--you might pm magash and ask him about his wife's single cake, 2-liter coke bottle fruiting chamber. i'm sure he won't mind. good luck to you brah.

--------------------
"The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I meditate, the more certain I am that I know nothing." -Voltaire

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags