Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Dehydrator, HEPA Filter, Parafilm, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
How do YOU make your spore prints?
    #1052272 - 11/14/02 01:29 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Hey! Im not looking for reference to the Shroomery Cultivation FAQ, or to any spore printing teks.

Instead, I want to know which successful tek, or how you make prints yourself, works the best, IN YOUR CASE.

My first flush I didn't take any prints, because for one , the caps were very small, and for two, I just wasnt prepared.

My second flush will be harvested tonight, so I'm curious as to which method you guys use.

Also, how successful were you at first?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: How do YOU make your spore prints? [Re: tekramrepus]
    #1052282 - 11/14/02 01:34 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Scrifice the first , fastest , strongest looking mushie of the crop . Then wait for cap to open up , pick mushie being carefull to not expose gills to air flow , cup stalk as close to base of cap as possible (do not touch gills ) , "IT" , puts his on an unused petri dish , covers with the lid , puts something on top to hold lid down and press mushie to surface , leave for several hours . Lift cap from petri when done , close dish back up and seal with parafilm or medical tape , date , name strain , store in cool dark place .
Good Luck

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: tripndicular]
    #1052295 - 11/14/02 01:40 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
    #1052337 - 11/14/02 01:58 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

or just stamp it onto some foil

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #1052352 - 11/14/02 02:06 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

I just sterilize the foil in the oven, drop the cap onto the foil whilst the ovens still warm but not hot enough to damage the spores and then cover the cap with a sterile glass and leave it for 48 hours for an extra dark print. I've never made a dud spore syringe useing this method.

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1052427 - 11/14/02 02:39 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

In the cleanest enviro you can manage, hepa filtered if possible (but turn it off while making prints}.

Get a big CLEAN tupperware or similar cantainer to make the prints in (to lay them out in).

Get some tin foil or heavy wax paper. Swab it with alcohol. Grasp the top of the cap with alcohol swabbed forceps,  clip the cap off with alcohol swabbed scissors.

Set the cap on the wax paper or tin foil, inside the container. Cover each with a glad type disposible container, with a small hole in it & covered with some filter disk material.

That allows any excess humidity(inside) to escape. So, the cap will not rot.

After 8 (or 12) hours, the cap will have layed down a print.

Remove the cap (with forcep), cover the print with clean tin foil (or wax paper) & seal.

The result is this.  6T  :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisibletripndicular

Re: How do YOU make your spore prints? [Re: SixTango]
    #1052447 - 11/14/02 02:46 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

I like 6T's method , very nice prints indeed , I have one . These puppies look like they would last forever (at least until you open it up ) , they are so nice I almost do not want to open them up . If you are ever privelaged enough to get one from him you will see what I mean ! :cool: :grin: 

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: How do YOU make your spore prints? [Re: tripndicular]
    #1052597 - 11/14/02 03:37 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Thanks!

This is what I did.

I put some gloves on, wiped some scissors with rubbing alcohol (70%), and then cut enough foil for a print. I wiped some tupperware down with rubbing alcohol, then I wiped the foil down.

I pulled the mushroom from the cake, cut as close to the cap as I could, and placed it on the foil. THen I put a lid over the tupperware.

Does this sound okay, or will my print be contaminateD?

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1052618 - 11/14/02 03:42 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

There's only one way to practically know if its contaminated, use it, but it sounds like you'll be ok, just make sure you leave it printing for at least 24, if not 48 hours. And be real clean when you go to put your print in storage, I like to put them in a alcohol swabbed ziplock, then into the closet.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
Re: How do YOU make your spore prints? [Re: Skikid16]
    #1052653 - 11/14/02 03:54 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

cool thanks. I put mine in a tupperware (clean) in baggies in my fridge.

I only have 5 right now though, various from other people

Invisibletripndicular

#1052657 - 11/14/02 03:55 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Sounds okay , but use 90% or higher alcohol , gloves are only trust worthy if they are surgically sterile gloves , wearing a mask helps to . Like skikid said , just be as sterile as you possibly can , and you will not really know until you try to use those spores down the road , but keep doing it , practice makes perfect . Also try using a scalpel or x-acto knife to remove cap , a bit more precise than scissors , you are less likely to touch the gills .

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#1052664 - 11/14/02 03:58 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Damn damn damn, I knew I should've saved that thread, anyways, there was a thread around hear not too long ago that explained why 70% iso is better than 90% iso, don't know why, just know that its so.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1052695 - 11/14/02 04:07 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

The raccoon forgot to mention wearing a mask. That makes a big diff, as far as being sterile goes. Trip, you are right about an exacto knife (if you do not have or use stainless steel thin surgical type medical scissors).

The raccoon also found that if you leave them to print -- to long. The cap will start to shrink & smear the print. As the cap size declines, it will drag spores with it. Over time, a  big cap can shrink to about 1/2 to 1/3rd it's fresh size.  6T  :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisibletripndicular

Re: How do YOU make your spore prints? [Re: SixTango]
    #1052876 - 11/14/02 05:08 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

The shrinking thing , and knowing when print is complete ....
Is why "IT" chose to use petri dishes , you carefully lift them up and take a peek from the gills point of view , " low" contam risk due to petri lid stopping airborn stuff from entering . I say low cause there is always a chance for contams .  When print is evident , pull the cap !  :cool:

ps Racoon .........You have forgotten more than most will learn , we forgive you ! :wink:
I love my docs mask ! :grin: 

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular

Re: How do YOU make your spore prints? [Re: Skikid16]
    #1052895 - 11/14/02 05:11 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

As far as sterility goes there is nothing better than 90%( WHEN TALKING ALCOHOL) . For safety reasons 70 % is better , the slightest spark can cause a flash fire when using 90% and higher . Trust me , this comes from an EMT & VET TECH , who ever told you 70 is better should be killed with their own germs immediately ! :wink: 

--------------------

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: SixTango]
    #1052927 - 11/14/02 05:19 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Edited by matts (11/14/02 05:20 PM)

InvisibleAlkaloids
3,4,5-trimethoxyphenethylamine
Male

Loc: pubis mons
Re: How do YOU make your spore prints? [Re: tripndicular] * 1
    #1052953 - 11/14/02 05:27 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

In most hospitals and labs alcohol solutions that are used tend to be between 70-80%, not 90%. (if memory serves me it is because with a slightly higher water content it allows the alcohol to more effectively penetrate the cell wall of the bacteria) Alcohol is only a mild disinfectant, but a great antiseptic. (probably why it is recommended by your EMT friend). Alcohol is bactericidal and fungicidal, but not sporicidal.
If you want to really get cleaner material for prints (using either foil or wax paper), then dip the print squares in H2O2 and dry thoroughly in your sterile environment. If you can get higher concentrations that is even better. Hydrogen peroxide is sporicidal also, so if you can keep those squares in a clean enviro after dipping, then you won't (in theory) have to worry about bacterial endospores contaminating your spores.
may the spore be with you

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Re: How do YOU make your spore prints? [Re: matts]
    #1052961 - 11/14/02 05:29 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

Thanks matts, thank god you aren't as lazy as me.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinekb73
enthusiast
Loc: Abilene, TX
    #1053019 - 11/14/02 05:44 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

I came up with an idea that works GREAT. I use a 1/2 pint sterilzed jar, then I fit as many caps as I can in the bottom. Then I put a filter disk over the top, and secure it with a band. This lets the moisture escape through the filter disk, and the caps drop spores, shrink and dehydrate. This leaves the spore print on the bottom of the jar. If you leave the caps in there a couple days they'll be really dry. Then, I remove the caps with sterilzed tweezers. Then I put some sterile water in there and replace the filter disk with a sterile jar lid with a hole punched in it. Then I cover the hole with a piece of electrical tape. Shake it all up and there you have it. When you are ready to use it, peel back the tape and suck the solution out into a sterile syringe. I found this to be the best method. When I tried doing it other ways, sometimes it would get too moist and I left the caps in too long and they got gross and mushy. I've used this method for several batches. It works great!

--------------------
WARNING chronicshroom will rip you off! Don't trade with him! I sent him 20 spore syringes and he never sent me anything.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Dehydrator, HEPA Filter, Parafilm, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation