Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleBecomezen
Fun Guy
critique my setup
    #1045773 - 11/12/02 08:42 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

first time growing .........

ive got 12 cakes going nicely , some should be 100% in 3-4 days . I have a 'mentor' who has much experience , and so far everything is cool . I would like some input regarding my setup , as I cannot decide whether or not to go to casings :

-huge rubbermaid clear container (just like you've seen in everyone else's pics)
-12 pf cakes
-perlite
-aquarium pump ("elite 801")
-big jar of water that bubbles from pump;
-christmas lights on top of rubbermaid container
-really good professional spray bottle.

this setup is somewhat autonomous. if i put a timer on everything , im sure i could leave it alone for a few days . how would i go about changing things so i could use casings instead of cakes ? my main concern is humidity (how could i regulate humidity with said equipment to achieve the humidity needed for casings).......

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebluelou
NUTCASEdrugbucket!
Male User Gallery

Loc: $hroom Central
Re: critique my setup [Re: Becomezen]
    #1045797 - 11/12/02 09:02 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Its cool dude!!

ive done casings in them without giving them much air flow.
i just used a fish pump, not in a bottle bubbling, just blowing air into
the side of tub.The casing alone will give the right mumidity no perrilite.
i allways averaged 85 to 90% without the perrilite,crack the top open sometimes to.

--------------------
Have you tried my(black kow) pile style tek outdoors!!!!!!!!

OfflineTeon
Chemist/Self-AppointedFAQ Facist
Male

Loc: Here
Re: critique my setup [Re: bluelou]
    #1045805 - 11/12/02 09:08 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

When you do make the move to csings I would recommend a different substrate. IMHO pf cakes don't have the reserve of nutes necessary to produce the severwal prolific flushes that the casing is inteded for.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, have ever been, or will at any future time will be participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any legal statue; be it local, state, or federal law. All posts are works of fiction, and are intended for entertainment purposes only.

Don't just assume anything I or anyone else says is true. Test it for yourself. See if it's true.
Generate more useful information. The world is running desperately low on it.

Invisiblerazer
enthusiast
Re: critique my setup [Re: Teon]
    #1047096 - 11/12/02 04:33 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

PF themselves say that after years and years of testing, they have determined that brown rice flour produces the most potent mushrooms.
And who are we to dispute with PF? They know all.

--------------------
All events stated by myself are only fictionous stories, any relations to true events are intirely coincidental.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: critique my setup [Re: razer]
    #1047404 - 11/12/02 06:19 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

In reply to:

PF themselves say that after years and years of testing, they have determined that brown rice flour produces the most potent mushrooms.

Was that before or after people started using Rye grain, birdseed and bulk substrates?
What a joke....BRF does not produce more potent mushrooms.
Prove it!!!

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineTheta
TranscendentalExplorer

Re: critique my setup [Re: razer]
    #1047640 - 11/12/02 08:05 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

In reply to:

Where do they say this? I've never seen it. The big PF claim I'm familiar with is that PF cakes are probably the easiest starter method for any amateur mycologist.

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low
Polyfil-ophile-Say it 3 timesfast.

Re: critique my setup [Re: Theta]
    #1047676 - 11/12/02 08:15 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I remember seeing the PF claim about the BRF producing more potent shrooms.

Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca$hville
Re: critique my setup [Re: On_the_Down-Low]
    #1047792 - 11/12/02 08:48 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Hah what a joke. I would assume (on the little that I know) That the most potent shrooms would be off of buffalo dung Due to the thai strains

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: critique my setup [Re: resin]
    #1049926 - 11/13/02 04:55 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

what do the Thai strains have to do with anything? they are no more potent than any other cubensis.. a cubensis is usually just a cubensis.. they are all usually pretty close to being the same potency.

Offlinecheifdog24
enthusiast

Re: critique my setup [Re: Snobrdr311]
    #1050023 - 11/13/02 05:45 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I don't agree, I've found that cambo's are much more potent than, say gulf coast. But you are right about asking what the hell thai strains have to do with anything. I'm not sure on that one myself.

Offlinemrr0gers
A man with toomany sweaters...

Re: critique my setup [Re: resin]
    #1050210 - 11/13/02 07:00 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
In loving memory of Fred Rogers.

OfflineTheta
TranscendentalExplorer

Re: critique my setup [Re: mrr0gers]
    #1050250 - 11/13/02 07:13 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Interesting...

Offlinemrr0gers
A man with toomany sweaters...

Re: critique my setup [Re: Theta]
    #1050322 - 11/13/02 07:38 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I was looking through the link I gave and noticed he said that his fruitings with BRF were small. I remembered reading that small aborts are more potent than fully matured mushrooms. I found this quote in the PF TeK:

"Some of the first mushrooms to form are "abhorts" (convoluted caps, gnarly stems and stunted growth), and ironically they are primo in magic alkaloids. They are even more powerful in magic than the stately beauties that will soon dominate the cake. The tiny "baby mushroom" abhorts are likewise good. After witnessing the growth of the fungus, recognition of these abhorts is easy. As long as the abhorts are healthy and pure, they are primo."

My guess to this quote is that psilocybin/psilocin are natural defence mechinisms that this particular kind of mushroom produces to ward of critters. Now when the mushrooms are somewhat mature the psilocybin/psilocin reduces because there is no need to protect the mushrooms anymore there is just a little bit of psilocybin/psilocin left in the mushrooms to get them to the veil breaking.

Its just a therory though, and its somewhat based on the ideas of evolution. I think a seperate post should be created for this idea.

--------------------
In loving memory of Fred Rogers.

Edited by mrr0gers (11/13/02 07:48 PM)

Invisiblewalkclothed
Stranger
Re: critique my setup [Re: mrr0gers]
    #4352136 - 06/29/05 07:08 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i think psilocybin/psilocin are more of a gift that the shrooms give critters who help spread their spores by picking up a shroom and carrying it away, like flowers give bees their nectar so they can get knocked up. thats just how ive always imagined it, i like to think that if i was a dingo or an antelope i would like to trip every so often so i would seek out the cubes. i know hallucinogens like dmt in the bufo toad r usually defense mechanisms, but i dont like to think of that as being the case with the mushrooms. does anyone know what the most commonly accepted theory as to why they have the hallucinogens is?

--------------------
no i dont. its all real

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: critique my setup [Re: Becomezen]
    #4352183 - 06/29/05 07:20 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
For the second time, please don't bump old threads unless you intend to stay on topic with the thread! Thanks!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds