Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesixpac440
Psycho Dad
Loc: Michigan
Critique my terrarium (Pics)
    #554899 - 02/17/02 11:24 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Well my terrarium is pretty much finished, here are some pics. This ones from the front. Ignore the evaporative humidifier on the left, it isn?t hooked into anything. Also I know the electrical outlets look scary but I talked it over with a electrician at work and he said as long as the Amp/Watt ratings aren?t exceeded it will be fine. The main socket is 15 Amps/1800watts. With everything plugged in and running it uses 296 watts. The Black thing on the wall to the right is an Alife thermostat with a range of 60' F to 105' F, it plugs into the wall. An 8-watt lizard heater is stuck to the outside bottom of the aquarium and plugs into the Alife unit. There is a probe that comes off of the Alife and is stuck to the inside of the terrarium (as seen it the side pic). The hood is 1/2" angle iron, 1"x1/8"bar stock and Plexiglas. The right side of the hood has a triangle filter cut to fit. I used a filter made for a floor vent as the cool mist unit will run 24/7 so there will always be positive pressure in the chamber. I can control the temp and humidity as needed for formation and cropping. The temp and humidity are checked by a Radio Shack remote digital sensor that sends its signal to a main unit outside the terrarium so there?s no need to open the chamber. The bottom has 1/2" mesh wire folded to fit 1" above the bottom.

Here?s a view from the side. On the cool mist you see a hose sticking up with a 90' plastic elbow. The elbow is filled with GOOP so it acts as a plug. This is how I fill the cool mist. I will get into the cool mist part later in this post. You can see how I've routed the hose from the cool mist to the terrarium. The reason for the angles and the elbow is that the humidity coming from the cool mist is very wet. If it went straight through it would put water and mist into the terrarium, I just want the mist. So the water condenses in the tube and runs back into the cool mist, it also keeps it from having to be filled as often. The Tek I used said it would need filling every couple days this way. I will still get some water dripping down the PVC into the terrarium but I have a cup there to catch it. The PVC forces the cool mist flow to the bottom and hopefully will push the Co2 up and out the vented end of the hood.

Cool mist: Here?s a pic of the cool mist from the top down. The dark brown motor housing is supposed to just sit on top and be removable for filling. I sealed it with GOOP because water was getting on it from the pressure inside caused by my restrictions. The 110 cord is right there on top and I didn?t want a fire. You can see a vent filter I cut to fit the housing, the heating pad it sets on and off to the left on the side you will see a balance tube (more on that later). The cool mists original opening for the vapor is covered with duct tape. The tubes are pushed into holes I put there; they are pushed in about 1/4" and GOOPed into place. The cool mist sits on a heating pad with 4 settings.

Here is a pic of the balance tube. The camera was cocked on an angle, the cool mist is setting flat. The reason for the balance tube is to monitor the water level as I cant just pop the top anymore. The 2 black lines indicate high and low. You can see the water level is just below the upper line. I keep a 1gal milk jug filled with 1gal water to 1/2 cup peroxide mixed sitting by it so it will be room temp when I fill the cool mist.

Got the terrarium all set up and running for 24hrs. Here?s a pic of the environment.

Yes it's somewhat complicated but I don?t have time to fan and mist. Also I would like to move to casings and the experience will be good. Most of the parts will transfer to that later.

Just looking for approval or constructive criticism on ways to improve it.

Thanks
Six

--------------------
Peace
Six

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
Loc: oklahoma
Re: Critique my terrarium (Pics) [Re: sixpac440]
    #555210 - 02/18/02 09:17 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

excuse me for asking but what is that triangle thingie on the top of the terranium?

--------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Bob Marley

Remember, EGOISM is the beginning, the source, and the root of EVIL!

http://www.fanaticus.com/pf-tek.htm
http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/hongus.html

Offlinesixpac440
Psycho Dad
Re: Critique my terrarium (Pics) [Re: XAZIA]
    #555228 - 02/18/02 09:44 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

It's the hood. If I were to do it over I would make it tall on one side and short on the other, like Gumby's head. But testing shows that condensation isnt forming in the peak and dripping down, so it should be OK.

Six

--------------------
Peace
Six

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #555255 - 02/18/02 10:29 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Isn't building fun!? Looks like a lot of work went into it... how hard is it to take apart for cleaning?

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinesixpac440
Psycho Dad
Re: Critique my terrarium (Pics) [Re: Seuss]
    #555295 - 02/18/02 11:19 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Yes building it was fun, I like a challenge. It comes apart easily for cleaning. I did take that into consideration during the planning stages. The hood just sets on the terrarium inside the plastic lip. The tubing connections are all press fit. The only exception to that is the cool mist, it will take a little more effort as the top is sealed to the body, but it's do-able. Any easy suggestions for cleaning that?

Six

--------------------
Peace
Six

OfflineMeneerCactus
Ex Operator FSRE
 User Gallery
Loc: The Low Lands
    #555315 - 02/18/02 11:40 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

High,

That looks great, but is it not overdone? I asume that shrooms will also do there growing job in much more simple conditions.

I am experiencing my first shroomey ever and it works okee.

What is so much better on this system than on a simple system?

MeneerCactus

--------------------
"Millions of years of evolution just to .... light up a joint"

Offlinesixpac440
Psycho Dad
Re: Critique my terrarium (Pics) [Re: MeneerCactus]
    #555328 - 02/18/02 11:52 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Hi MeneerCactus
Yes it is more complicated than it has to be. The 2 reasons for that are that I work 12hrs a day so the fanning and misting schedule as called out in the Tek are impossible for me to keep up with. The other reason is I will be moving to casings and the important stuff I bought will move to that. Also I wanted some experience before I do a casing setup. So far so good. It's real controllable.

Six

--------------------
Peace
Six

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #555587 - 02/18/02 05:48 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Looking good bro !!!

Can't wait to see you get some shrooms.

:smile: 

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineHashBoat
Stranger
Re: Critique my terrarium (Pics) [Re: Roadkill]
    #555641 - 02/18/02 07:00 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Now you have to post some pics of the shrooms that come out of that. Dont just forget like most people end up doing.

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
    #555900 - 02/19/02 12:41 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

What name brand model hydromerter/temp guage is that? Looks sweet. Does it work in high humidity? I have an awsome bionare digital hydr/dtemp guage, but it shuts down at high humidity. I also have Another Honeywell digital hydo/temp guage, but it stops at 86% humidity.

To others viewing this: I know about that Radioshack one but cant get it here. Know any sites that sell that stuff?

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

Offlinesixpac440
Psycho Dad
Re: Critique my terrarium (Pics) [Re: Northernsoul]
    #555917 - 02/19/02 01:13 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

A special thanks to Roadkill .... I bow down in complete humbleness to your patients and all empowering wisdom! You Da Man!  :wink:  I will try to model myself after you and share my meager knowledge with those who ask, without looking down on them for asking the simplest of questions as I have done. Seriously, Thank You Road.

Northernsoul:
I am unaware of any web sites that sell the Temp/humidity gage. I live in the good old US of A and had to go into a brick and mortar store and have them order it from another store about a million miles away. Here's the URL for the Radio Shack site showing the temp/humidity gage.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=&product%5Fid=63%2D1031
So far this one has registered 98% humidity.
Hope that helps.

Peace
Six

--------------------
Peace
Six

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #555919 - 02/19/02 01:17 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

awwwwww

Your welcome bro!!!

That is what this place should be about......helping others.

It's been a pleasure getting to know you....and helping you.

It's always nice to make more friends.

:smile: 

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates