Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Coir, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelamik4
journeyman
Critique of the Technique
    #2028155 - 10/21/03 10:47 AM (14 years, 1 hour ago)

I thought I would finally post my friends dogs method since he keeps hounding me day and day out about trying to reach 90% or better efficency.

Here's what he does:
He prepares 18 pints of rye grain. He innoculates them with either Thai Lipi Yai, PES Hawaiian, or South African. Incubates them for about 15 days(his average time for complete colinization). He does one of two things with his precious jars.

1. He cases them directly in tin foil pans that are 9 X 15 X 3 inches.
He then patch cases a little and then fruits into his chamber. The chamber is a rubbermaid container with a plexi glass top in the lid, and the sides are dark so only light from above. The air exchange and humidity is controlled by an aquarium pump and stones. But the humidity should be high because there are two casings in each rubbermaid container and its a snug fit but has plenty of vertical room. The light is a 25 watt florescent bulb. He's been having trouble with this set up, could be cause of lack of fresh oxygen but the pump should be constintly replacing this. He also fans some and hand mist daily. Average yield for each pan is about half an oz dry.

2. He pasturizes straw and spawn it with the rye grain. He makes large rubbermaid casing with the straw, roughly 19 x 26 6 inches. The depth is usually 3-5 inches and colonizes quickly with 5 pints to each straw bed. Once fully colonized he cases with coco coir and incubates for another couple days. After patch casing he births into his larger chamber. This chamber is a PVC structure coverd in 5m tarping(black). The top has clear plastic for light. The rubbermaid beds are set on racks inside the chamber. The RH is controlled by the coolmist humidifier and handmisting daily. He understands the area he lives in is somewhat dry about this time of year but can't understand why his coolmist doesn't feel like moisture is being shot out. But he's going to get a RH guage soon. He has yet to complete this experiment but estimates yields of 90 grams or better dry.

My friends dog is trying to reach a higher efficency without having to goto much more work than he already is. Any help or ideas/pointers would be great to pass along to him! He's always willing to learn!

Thanks,
Lamik

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Appalachia
Re: Critique of the Technique [Re: lamik4]
    #2028172 - 10/21/03 11:05 AM (14 years, 1 hour ago)

I have about the same setup as your rubbermaid w/the air pump and stones. I believe also that the air exchange is bad and have been told the same about the setup. Here is a air exchanger and humidifier that someone told me to check out. I dunno how it works but probably will get one soon.
http://www.permutator-reviews.com/petco/reptile-food-and-supplies/TropicAire-843210.html
I'm also working on another large rubbermaid to spawn straw in. Why don't u drop me a pm

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Coir, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation