Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: South
Ok, one last time, gyms or honeys?
    #1044641 - 11/11/02 08:06 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

The spore print hasnt come out yet, so i was wondering if you guys could help me yet again. I know you'll prolly end up telling me they are honey mushrooms again, but oh well :smile:
OK, I found them growing on a stump near a lake. It was hardwood, so thats a good sign, not sure what kind though. The gills are very crowded and orange-brownish. The veils are very high, near the cap, and the cap was turned almost up towards the sky, showing off them pretty little gills :smile: I thought maybe this was a good sign, since some pics of gyms i Have seen are like this. BUT, they are a little on the brown side, and could be honey mushrooms whose cap hasnt straightened out yet. The cap is darkish brown in the middle, fading to a yellowish light brown. The stalks are thick and solid. um um... like i said no spore print yet, soo... anyway, here are the pics, I hope you guys can give me some better news this time :smile: They did smell sort of aniselike, but didnt taste insanely bitter, but a bit more bitter than other mushrooms i have eaten i suppose.

Also these nest guys were growing right with them. Anyone have any idea what they are? Stalks are greenish at base, and the caps are kinda splittin open and stuff. Heres a pic:

Thanks for all your help guys :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Ok, one last time, gyms or honeys? [Re: RoKiSdEaD]
    #1044722 - 11/11/02 08:42 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

They look like Honey Mushrooms to me. In the 2nd & 4th photos note the tiny dark dots on the caps, which look like the tiny erect hairs on the caps of Honey Mushrooms. Of course, the spore prints will make the whole thing obvious.

The other ones are interesting. Could you give us a bit more description?

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineNiGGy
Stranger
Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
    #1044734 - 11/11/02 08:45 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

How do they smell? Gyms have a very sprucy smell to them.

OfflineNiGGy
Stranger
Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
    #1044735 - 11/11/02 08:45 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

How do they smell? Gyms have a very sprucy smell to them.

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #1046443 - 11/12/02 01:53 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Definately honey mushrooms.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Ok, one last time, gyms or honeys? [Re: Workman]
    #1050593 - 11/13/02 09:08 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah those were definately honey mushrooms, the spore print was white :frown: About the others, hmm, they were growing right beside the honeys, and they were way more darker brown, and the caps were splitting around the edges. The stalk was green at the bottom and brown/maroonish going up. The most notable thing about these mushrooms is they stink to high heaven. I haven't smelt any mushroom that smelled this strong. I also have more pics if you giuys wanna try to identify em, and I also have a question. Are gymnopilus sapineus (sp?) active. I have found some mushrooms outside, I found them a few weeks ag and where very small, and now they have grown and are looking a lot like g. sap. Any help would be appreciated, I'll post pics 2morrow. Here are the pics of the mushrooms I found by those honeys:

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1050861 - 11/13/02 10:15 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Seeing those better photos, I think they're Honey Mushrooms, too (older ones). I suspect that the green on the stems is a mold.

Gymnopilus sapineus is listed on Erowid as a species containing psilocybin. The question is if there's enough to make eating them worthwhile. Anybody ever try them, or know somebody who did?

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Ok, one last time, gyms or honeys? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1051192 - 11/13/02 11:46 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Or penetrans?  these guys could also be penetrans. Once I determine the spore print I will post some pictures :smile: Also, when they were very young (like less than 1/2 inch) these particular mushrooms would spew out this brown juice stuff when you squeezed them. It got all over my face :smile: Now they don't do that, but maybe someone who grew them or seen the real little ones would recognize this?

OfflineRoKiSdEaD
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#1052557 - 11/14/02 01:24 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Nevermind, i dont know what the hell they are :frown: lol. I'll still post some pics up later tonight, just to see what the ID is, but they have a white spore print, so...fuck...heh. They look much more like gyms than my previous gym wannabes tho :smile: Is it too late in the year or something? I mean damn, this is annoying :frown:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom