Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetoadfish
Stranger
Big Gym not laughing?
    #1962478 - 09/29/03 12:46 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I recently found two tight clumps of medium to large bulky orange shrooms growing from the ground at the base of an oak tree. They had dry silky caps up to about 5 inches or more wide. The gills were brownish orange, connected but not descending the stalk. The gills could not easily be seperated from the cap.There was persistent rings on all the stalks. The stalks were brownish orange, meaty, thick and solid, not hollow. The spore print was rusty orange.
Everything about them key out to be big gyms except two things which are bothering me. First, most guides say the odor is like anise. Isn't anise a licorice smell? These have a very pleasent fruity smell. In fact, it's such a nice smell, they seem like they would be good to eat [of course I won't].
Second, every source is unanimous in stating that the taste is very bitter, The tiny nibble that I tried of these was only faintly bitter, if at all.
What do you guys think? Should I be concerned with the descrepencies in odor and taste when the more concrete morphological chacters match? Could it be the reported variation in alkoloid content [no goodies, no taste]?
I do have some poor out of focus pics which I haven't figured out how to post [I'm new].
Are there any look alikes besides jackolanterns [desending gills, white print]? The only other one that worries me is deadly gallerina which has a "rusty" print but small caps and hollow stalk, right?

Thanks in advance for the well intentioned warnings about not eating if I'm not sure and the possible liver problems with gyms. I've been lurking here for over a year and studying elsewhere. I am taking it very slow and careful. Thanks to this forum I have already rejected the temtation to try A. muscaria which were my first active finds. If I can get confirmation I would like to try the gyms though. Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Big Gym not laughing? [Re: toadfish]
    #1962825 - 09/29/03 03:26 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

To post photos, click on the link just above where you type your post (the one that says "Put picture(s) in this post". The rest should be self explanatory, but ask questions if you have problems.

Your overall description sounds similar to Gymnopilus spectabilis. The lack of an odor isn't disturbing - Hesler states that the odor is "slight or rarely strong". Try verifying the taste again - take a piece about the size of your little fingernail from the edge of a cap and chew on it for at least 15 seconds (then spit it out). Hesler doesn't state how strong the bitter taste is, so if you can detect bitterness then you're probably OK.

I would be astonished to see a deadly Galerina 3 inches or more across - I rarely find them much more than an inch across (although they do get over 2 inches sometimes). Also, they smell and taste "mealy", according to Moser. The stems of the deadly Galerinas have pale fibers running along their length. The Galerinas should be thin fleshed (the Gymnopilus are pretty fleshy mushrooms).

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
    #1963262 - 09/29/03 05:50 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

-click edit, after editing,
-check box, I want to preview modifications before submitting
-then look for highligted area saying you can attach a file
-Attach your pics.
-delete one of your posts on this subject as double posting is -confusing and not allowed.

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

Offlinetoadfish
Stranger
Re: Big Gym not laughing? [Re: nofind_um]
    #1963411 - 09/29/03 06:41 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry for the double post. I deleted the other one ont the same topic.
Here's a pic of the shrooms I found. I forgot to mention that I'm in New England.

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#1963495 - 09/29/03 07:10 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Big Gym not laughing, huh? Perhaps you could tell some jokes.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
    #1963889 - 09/29/03 09:36 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I found g. spectabilis in New England. I've had multiple finds over the last 3 weeks, "before that I've never found any", so I'm relativly new to this. From what you state they do appear to be G. spectabilis, "I personally won't go so far as to tell you that they are, I don't have enough experience for that". What I will tell you is this. All of the specimens that I've found do not smell,"in my opinion", like anise. They have had a sweeter smell, I've heard other descriptions of a syrupy smell. I enhanced the photo a bit, and the gills, persistent ring, stipe and general appearence would lead me to believe they are a spectabilis. I've also found a few specimens that I thought were g. spectabilis, "they had no bitter taste", so I discarded them. Although in every other aspect they indeed keyed to G. spectabils... to me that bitter taste is the clincher... I bioessayed my finds and had a distinct experience. I can still taste that bitter taste if I think about it... anyway if the taste is not profoundly bitter I would leave them alone.. but who am I,,,, No Find Um.... good luck.. PM me if you have any ????'s....

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #3418525 - 11/28/04 06:07 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

They look like a gymnopilus species - did they stain blue?
Yes, they are all profundly bitter and very low potency.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification