Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblewallace
Male

Loc: Canada
a gym, but what kind?
    #4823944 - 10/19/05 06:39 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I have been watching this mushroom for about 2 weeks (at least). When it appeared, I thought it might be a spectabilis pin, but it turned out to not be that spectabacular. Only about 4 cm tall, 3cm cap. The stem was solid which probably kept it going as long as it did (You can see the insects have gotten at it)
and broadening toward the base. The cap was deformed but smooth when I found it, but it seems to be going kind of scurfy like other gym caps.
And then there is the bruising.
You can see the same kind of purple-bruising that you see in my other bigger specimen which I am pretty sure was aeruginosus.

I should post a drier version of the aeruginosus bruising--it is darker and bluer than what you see here.
In this picture...

You can see the striations in the stalk that for all the world are gym like.
I wonder what this sucker is...it is not liquiritiae nor aeruginosus. The only other possibility is penetrans which only ONE of my guides lists and the guide is at least 20 years old. According to that description penetrans cap should be about the same as the length of the stipe with a cap of about 5 to 8 cm. Decurrent gills. I really don't think we have a hit.
NO sporeprint--specimen seems to have lost all activity but the print is orange/brown judging from a print left on one of the caps.
Any ideas?

--------------------
Wallace

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: a gym, but what kind? [Re: wallace]
    #4824133 - 10/19/05 08:48 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I'm thinking penetrans My book  lists the gills as "sometimes enlarging downward" . In the color plate, the gills are not decurrent, but on one out of three, I can see striations where the gills are beginning to descend the stalk.
What do you know of the edibility of the gyms you found?

Again, nice finds, good documentation. :thumbup:

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder