Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
What should I do with spent cakes?
    #1031387 -

I'll soon have 11 spent cakes, EQ, and I have no idea what should be done.

I know of the outdoortek, buts its winter now, temps outside dropping as low as high 30s.

I dont have a pressure cooker.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What should I do with spent cakes? [Re: tekramrepus]
    #1031716 -

once you're sure they are spent, throw them away. that's what i would do.


--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What should I do with spent cakes? [Re: Bilge]
    #1031795 -

You have 2 options as I see it:

Throw them outside, winter or not... Try to pick a growable location to toss em. Crumble them up first too.

Crumble the cakes into very fine bits and pieces. Soak them in methanol (yellow heet) for a few days. Strain off the methanol and evaporate completely. The residue left will contain any alkaloids that were left behind in your cake.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What should I do with spent cakes? [Re: tekramrepus]
    #1031818 -

will the cakes put out next spring if there thrown outside in the winter?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What should I do with spent cakes? [Re: user_exists]
    #1031876 -

Stranger things have happened... But it depends on how your winter goes... If you have a mild winter, it is very possible... If you have an extreme winter with many sub-zero days and serious blizzards, well I wouldn't hold my breath. The idea is to just always toss em in a specific desirable area and check on it every few weeks when the temps are right. That's what I do... Every once in a while I find a surprise, but usually nothing grows. I'm usually dumping casings instead of cakes... Keep in mind though that you might have some spore deposits on your cakes... If you let a few sporulate and drop on the cake you might have a better chance. Also, if you're using a terrarium, and water collects in the bottom, and you have a few drop spores, make sure you toss the water outside too... You could have thousands upon thousands of spores in that water you usually dump down the drain.

Of course, all this should be done carelessly and in free time when you're bored. Don't put too much effort into trying to salvage old junk... Just toss it out there and see what happens.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What should I do with spent cakes? [Re: user_exists]
    #1031885 -

it seems mycelium can 'hibernate' the winter, at least in my climate, try using a compost bed or something that maybe warms it self naturally maybe steaming fresh dung?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What should I do with spent cakes? [Re: tekramrepus]
    #1031890 -

Grind 'em up and use to spawn a bulk substrate.  :laugh: 


--------------------


Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What should I do with spent cakes? [Re: user_exists]
    #1031980 -

In reply to:

will the cakes put out next spring if there thrown outside in the winter?




in short, no.
cubenss will [may] survive temps in the low thirties for a short time, but not much lower, not for prolonged periods of time and not regularly. if you have a compost pile, temps inside will stay high enough to sustain the mycelium, providid you don't turn it often during cold periods. if you don't have a compost heap and yave a yard in wich toput one, it's a good investment. and it makes you feel a little hippy like.


--------------------



Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Spent cakes question superpimp 3,238 10 07/18/01 12:49 AM
by aluminum_can
* Spent Cakes FRUITING OUTSIDE?? TM 5,831 13 06/22/02 01:41 PM
by TM
* Casing spent cakes? Fd3000 1,757 8 07/01/02 02:15 PM
by GreyMatter
* Casing spent cakes? JuanPacoLopez 1,828 4 11/06/01 09:40 PM
by kslater
* Spent cakes -- what to do?? Left Nut City 2,507 8 08/19/02 10:11 AM
by SoFarNorth
* Life After Death: spent cakes wind_song 2,714 6 08/12/01 12:17 PM
by Kenshin
* using spent cake mycellium as innoculant zandorf 2,062 8 09/01/02 08:15 PM
by iam_craig
* Spent Cakes... Stick a Fork in Them, They're Done? RebelSteve33 2,351 7 08/07/02 11:17 AM
by quietnick

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,338 topic views. 25 members, 432 guests and 265 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 14 queries.