Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
What should I do with spent cakes?
    #1031387 - 11/07/02 03:56 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I'll soon have 11 spent cakes, EQ, and I have no idea what should be done.

I know of the outdoortek, buts its winter now, temps outside dropping as low as high 30s.

I dont have a pressure cooker.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
Re: What should I do with spent cakes? [Re: tekramrepus]
    #1031716 - 11/07/02 07:40 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

once you're sure they are spent, throw them away. that's what i would do.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

OfflineInMyVersion
Stranger

Loc: NE USA
Re: What should I do with spent cakes? [Re: Bilge]
    #1031795 - 11/07/02 08:35 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

You have 2 options as I see it:

Throw them outside, winter or not... Try to pick a growable location to toss em. Crumble them up first too.

Crumble the cakes into very fine bits and pieces. Soak them in methanol (yellow heet) for a few days. Strain off the methanol and evaporate completely. The residue left will contain any alkaloids that were left behind in your cake.

Offlineuser_exists
Stranger
    #1031818 - 11/07/02 08:48 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

will the cakes put out next spring if there thrown outside in the winter?

OfflineInMyVersion
Stranger

Loc: NE USA
Re: What should I do with spent cakes? [Re: user_exists]
    #1031876 - 11/07/02 09:10 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Stranger things have happened... But it depends on how your winter goes... If you have a mild winter, it is very possible... If you have an extreme winter with many sub-zero days and serious blizzards, well I wouldn't hold my breath. The idea is to just always toss em in a specific desirable area and check on it every few weeks when the temps are right. That's what I do... Every once in a while I find a surprise, but usually nothing grows. I'm usually dumping casings instead of cakes... Keep in mind though that you might have some spore deposits on your cakes... If you let a few sporulate and drop on the cake you might have a better chance. Also, if you're using a terrarium, and water collects in the bottom, and you have a few drop spores, make sure you toss the water outside too... You could have thousands upon thousands of spores in that water you usually dump down the drain.

Of course, all this should be done carelessly and in free time when you're bored. Don't put too much effort into trying to salvage old junk... Just toss it out there and see what happens.

Offlinerawtoxic
Stranger
Loc: smokey mountains
    #1031885 - 11/07/02 09:15 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

it seems mycelium can 'hibernate' the winter, at least in my climate, try using a compost bed or something that maybe warms it self naturally maybe steaming fresh dung?

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1031890 - 11/07/02 09:18 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Grind 'em up and use to spawn a bulk substrate.  :laugh: 

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #1031980 - 11/07/02 09:50 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

In reply to:

will the cakes put out next spring if there thrown outside in the winter?

in short, no.
cubenss will [may] survive temps in the low thirties for a short time, but not much lower, not for prolonged periods of time and not regularly. if you have a compost pile, temps inside will stay high enough to sustain the mycelium, providid you don't turn it often during cold periods. if you don't have a compost heap and yave a yard in wich toput one, it's a good investment. and it makes you feel a little hippy like.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate