Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetrancefishy
ambiguity

Loc: under the stars
no room left for colonization, help....
    #976973 - 10/20/02 02:22 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

day #16 on my BRF B+ jars.... here is my situation, 2 of my 4 jars are almost 100%, save for about 2 square centimeteres on the very bottom. the temps are really good, going between 84 and 89. the bottoms are kinda gooey though, which i think is from using a little bit coarser vermiculite than pf reccomends. well, they are upside down and the mycelium on the sides of the jars are pulled away from the glass and very very fluffy, and the bottoms won't seem to colonize because the goo is stuck to the glass in spots. will hte mycelium overcome it? i loosened the lid on one and tamped it down on a book hoping to jar it (no pun intended) just enough to give airspace on the bottom. i'm wondering if i should A) wait it out or B) possibly take a little vermiculite off the top of the jar, say, 1/2 centimeter, put the cap back on and gently tamp it down to drop the cake down enough to let the rest colonize quickly. sort of a pre-birthing birth. i would assume (my first growing time) that it is colonized enough on the part near the vermiculite to ward off any contams. it's just that the vaccuum on the bottom would suck up contaminated air. i would be betting on the mycelium colonizing in a day or two and birthing shortly thereafter. or C) something i have yet to think of. any ideas would be helpful

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: no room left for colonization, help.... [Re: trancefishy]
    #977067 - 10/20/02 03:08 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Let them colonize.

If you are going to case it, you can just take the cakes out and cut off the uncolonized sector of the cake and then crumble into the casing.

For a cake, you should let it colonize completely, and do not take out of the jar.

Dont take i tout of the jar at all...until its either completely colonized to birth, or if you want t ocut it off for casing.

Offlinetrancefishy
ambiguity

Re: no room left for colonization, help.... [Re: angryshroom]
    #977072 - 10/20/02 03:09 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i didin't want to take it out of ht ejar, just dislodge it enough to get air and de-goo the bottom so it has the chance to grow.

OfflineBitchCakes
The captain ofouter space

Loc: Sea Attole
    #977335 - 10/20/02 05:21 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The "goo" will colonize eventually. Sometimes I get a big clump of brown rice flour in one place on the cake, it takes an extra week just to get that one little spot to colonize, but it does happen. Your idea of taking off some of the vermiculite so it will have more room on the bottom sounds practical, but Ive never tried it so I couldnt say if it will work or not. You could try it as an expiriment.

--------------------
-I'm a dork-

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low
Polyfil-ophile-Say it 3 timesfast.

#977641 - 10/20/02 07:56 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I had the same question :cool:
I think i will just be patient and wait it out. At least that method avoids any extra contams (IMO). 

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #977660 - 10/20/02 08:04 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

^^^^^^ is right, don't take it out unless it is completely colonized or if you have hepa flowhood. Just wait it out and see what happens.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinetrancefishy
ambiguity

Re: no room left for colonization, help.... [Re: Skikid16]
    #977687 - 10/20/02 08:18 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

well, i took one as an experiment, and loosened the lid so it was almost all the way off, and tamped it down, it made the cake fall from the "bottom", then i screwed it back on and it has a mm or 2 to breathe. i am going to see what happens with that. hopefully i don't lose it to contam, but that is why it's an experiment. i have patience, but it's my frist grow and i haven't tasted mushrooms in over 2 years, i am so so so excited

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #977705 - 10/20/02 08:26 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Its so funny, cause whenever its someone's first grow, they are so damn impatient. I was the same damn way, in fact, I lost my first batch because I couldn't wait to see the mycelium growing down the sides, so I took the lids off to see what was going on, needless to say, I grew green. But hey, hopefully it will turn out for you. I understand why you are excited, but just be a little more patient with your next batch.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation