Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: difficulty of cultivation? [Re: Blutjager]
    #9671695 - 01/24/09 03:41 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

The most important aspect of this hobby is reading. Read, read, read.

I started cultivating because mushrooms go for $40 an 1/8th in my area. I ate shrooms for the first time and basically said "This is awesome, but fuck paying $40 for it."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleseven
Male

Loc: north carolina
    #9671818 - 01/24/09 04:09 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Blutjager said:
Quote:

Nunbuh_Chrubble said:
Cultivation is very easy. Your yields and your chances of success all depend on you and whatever method you choose to use.

I'll give you the following advice and I hope you listen to it:

*Don't waste your time learning the PF tek - PF is complicated, has a high rate of failure, and gives shitty yields. Learning to use liquid cultures on bird seed, and then casing the birdseed is just one step away from doing bulk tubs. It's so easy you'll wonder why you ever wasted your time doing pf jars. Plus you can grow effectively unlimited amounts of shrooms.

*Buy "The Mushroom Cultivator" by Paul Staments- This book will tell you everything you need to know about shrooms and growing them. It will be an invaluable resource in addition to the shroomery.org

Instant 5 rating from me to you....DAMN good advice,I cant explain to you how glad it makes me to see someone else here say it aside from me

I skiped the pftek in this hobby and took on wbs. Once i learned to get my bird seed dry enough it was easy. My first batch was a little too wet but it colonized. I spawned to two nine by thirteen inch trays of straight coir. got two good flushes. Nice yeild for my first attempt. My second try i got three trays of green trich mold :shrug: but life is about perserverance. You just clean up and try again if you fail. Try to learn where things when wrong. :thumbup: unsucessfull.

--------------------
grind

Offlinetoxic_advocate
Dedicated Student
Male

Re: difficulty of cultivation? [Re: seven]
    #9671931 - 01/24/09 04:31 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Right now I'm doing mycobags they are fairly simple but I think there is also a different method thats better for me. what is wbs? what does it mean. As for liquid cultures do I need any special equipment. What are the risk of liquid cultures? Contam prone? Ah I suppose I will just search it up.

Invisibleseven
Male

Loc: north carolina
Re: difficulty of cultivation? [Re: toxic_advocate]
    #9671943 - 01/24/09 04:33 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

wbs= wild bird seed

--------------------
grind

OfflineNunbuh_Chrubble
I'm just a kittycat
Male User Gallery

Re: difficulty of cultivation? [Re: Spongiform]
    #9675014 - 01/25/09 08:58 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Spongiform said:

I'm gonna disagree with you here nunbuh, pf tek /w plastics is easy and fast.  I just dislike the big complicated high maintenance fruiting chambers that only hold a couple little cakes.

Take those same cakes, and spawn to bulk and then you're talkin!  Good yields, cheap, easy, low maintenance.

The fact that PF cakes can be used as spawn is the only thing that redeems them. But by no means should they be preferred for that.

Plus with WBS there is only 1 ingredient which can be bought while your shopping for your own food. The PF cakes have two ingredients which have to mixed together correctly (i know it's really simple, but people still fuck it up), and which are sometimes quite a pain in the ass to find. Not all grocery stores carry organic brown rice flower, and some stores only sell vermiculite in giant 30 gallon bags!

Not to mention that PF jars take at least 4-6 weeks to colonize (if they colonize at all). A quart of WBS innoc'd with 5cc of LC can be done in 10 days.

check out Doc's Wild Bird Seed Tek. It is awesome!

--------------------

"This day is a lover..."

~Rumi

Edited by Nunbuh_Chrubble (01/25/09 09:00 AM)

Offlinemudkip
I heard U Like Me!
Male

Re: difficulty of cultivation? [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble]
    #9675071 - 01/25/09 09:21 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Nunbuh_Chrubble said:
Quote:

Spongiform said:

I'm gonna disagree with you here nunbuh, pf tek /w plastics is easy and fast.  I just dislike the big complicated high maintenance fruiting chambers that only hold a couple little cakes.

Take those same cakes, and spawn to bulk and then you're talkin!  Good yields, cheap, easy, low maintenance.

The fact that PF cakes can be used as spawn is the only thing that redeems them. But by no means should they be preferred for that.

Plus with WBS there is only 1 ingredient which can be bought while your shopping for your own food. The PF cakes have two ingredients which have to mixed together correctly (i know it's really simple, but people still fuck it up), and which are sometimes quite a pain in the ass to find. Not all grocery stores carry organic brown rice flower, and some stores only sell vermiculite in giant 30 gallon bags!

Not to mention that PF jars take at least 4-6 weeks to colonize (if they colonize at all). A quart of WBS innoc'd with 5cc of LC can be done in 10 days.

I love the WBS because its so damn easy, but I like making cakes too, but in my area i found both ingredients easy.  My little cake FC is full automated, and it just sits on a shelf.  When its flushing it makes a really nice display.  But as far as somebody new starting on grains, the only problem is going out and investing in a PC before you can even do anything, not many people will want to do that.  I prepare my wbs by simmering it for 30-45 mins, draining it for 20-30 mins, then i load it into jars and PC, no 24 hour soak for me and mine colonize in 2 weeks or less.

We can go on all day tellin them how easy the WBS is, but the majority of people starting this hobby will still probably go with the PF tek.  No worries though, it puts hair on your chest.

--------------------

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: difficulty of cultivation? [Re: mudkip]
    #9675680 - 01/25/09 11:19 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

The moisture problem people encounter with WBS that makes them think its harder than making cakes can be easily avoided by using rye,its because of all the different kinds of seed in WBS that causes this problem.With rye everything is uniform and in my opinion(That only about 10% of this place agrees with :banghead:) is about 100x EASIER than cakes,not to mention that even though rye is a bit of a pain in the ass to get compared to WBS either one of them sure the hell is easier to find than verm and I for one like my thumbs better than sitting there all damn day with a coffee grinder making BRF as well :yesnod:

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: difficulty of cultivation? [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble]
    #9676298 - 01/25/09 01:01 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Nunbuh_Chrubble said:
Quote:

Spongiform said:

4-6 weeks?!

These took about 10 days to be fully colonized and this strain/clone is a slow colonizer.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Camp Crystal Lake
    #9676659 - 01/25/09 01:55 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

4-6 weeks?!

These took about 10 days to be fully colonized and this strain/clone is a slow colonizer.

You made that castle all perty just for us didn't ya? :wink:

--------------------
Master Slants Made Simple

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: difficulty of cultivation? [Re: Mephistophelian]
    #9676797 - 01/25/09 02:19 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Why yes, yes I did :-D

--------------------

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9676807 - 01/25/09 02:22 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I've actually been pondering making some cakes...just for the shit of it. I don't know why...just to say I did it maybe? Not for any other use really. I've got the pint jars for it...

$20 tub doused in perlite, why not eh? Plus, I can build me a castle like yours! Now there's an idea...creativity with cakes.

--------------------

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #9676826 - 01/25/09 02:26 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Nunbuh_Chrubble said:
Cultivation is very easy. Your yields and your chances of success all depend on you and whatever method you choose to use.

I'll give you the following advice and I hope you listen to it:

*Don't waste your time learning the PF tek - PF is complicated, has a high rate of failure, and gives shitty yields. Learning to use liquid cultures on bird seed, and then casing the birdseed is just one step away from doing bulk tubs. It's so easy you'll wonder why you ever wasted your time doing pf jars. Plus you can grow effectively unlimited amounts of shrooms.

*Buy "The Mushroom Cultivator" by Paul Staments- This book will tell you everything you need to know about shrooms and growing them. It will be an invaluable resource in addition to the shroomery.org

What a load of rubbish.
What is so complicated about the pf tek? mix some verm with water and BRF, sterilise and inoculate. fully colinised in a week, dunked at week 3 and fruiting by week 4.

High failure rate??? The pf tek success rate is no different to any other method. If you got high failure rate, your doing something wrong. I have had 100% success providing that my sterilie procedures were good, which is no different to using grains.

Grains are actually just a little bit more complicated, since it means you have to prep the grains. Rinsing, soaking, boiling. Getting the moisture content right. Theres more steps in grain.

Also, crap yeilds is a rubbish statement also. You seem to forget that ginetics have the over all say in your grows performance (providing your fruiting conditions are finely tuned). Grow from an isolated strain that performs well and you will get great results everytime from pf tek. Grow from MS and you will even get shitty results from bulk. If you believe that the pf tek gives crappy yeilds , you should check out all the 1/2 and 1/4 pint grows out there that have given 80 grams fresh per flush.

I wouldnt suggest liquid cultures. Its really a horrible way of growing inoculant. Moulds wont sporolate in a liquid, so what you think is healthy mycelium could well be mould. If your growing from grains, you would be much faster inoculating 1 grain jar then doing g2g transfers to expand your cultures. Take it a step further and isolate on agar and start your grains from agar.

You can easily take 10 grain jars, and expand it to 100.

The pf tek is meant as an easy, and cheap method of starting out. Its also a great introduction to the hobby.

You can also spawn cakes to bulk sub and increase your yeild drastically while still using cakes.

I agree that once you get the technik down, grains in the long run are easier since you can prepare a much larger volume of spawn quicker. But that involves getting a big pressure cooker.

And not everyone wants to grow trays and trays of shrooms.

a good place to start is the stickied threads, particulary nibins newcomers guide which is also a sticky.

www.mushroomvideos.com is a good place to go. Details the pf tek in 4 videos. Theres also samples from the dvd aswell that gives you insite into other cultivation techniquies (including rye grain. cloning, isolating, etc) buy the DVD its worth it.

Also as earlier stated, paul stamets - the mushroom cultivator is a great book. Just remember that in that book there is some outdated info so dont rely on it completly.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Edited by veda_sticks (01/25/09 02:29 PM)

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#9677264 - 01/25/09 03:49 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Mephistophelian said:
I've actually been pondering making some cakes...just for the shit of it. I don't know why..

Blasphemy :lol:

OfflineMephistophelian
Quasi Hob-Nobbery
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9678497 - 01/25/09 06:44 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Blutjager said:
Quote:

Mephistophelian said:
I've actually been pondering making some cakes...just for the shit of it. I don't know why..

Blasphemy :lol:

:rofl2:

--------------------

Offlinegaladar

Loc: in a monotub!
    #9678544 - 01/25/09 06:52 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

buy prints. not syringes.

you could make an easy 10 syringes from a print.
making one should teach you sterile procedure.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: difficulty of cultivation? [Re: galadar]
    #9678587 - 01/25/09 06:57 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

galadar said:
buy prints. not syringes.

you could make an easy 10 syringes from a print.
making one should teach you sterile procedure.

It could also result in many contaminated susbtrates.

Keep it simple until you get an understanding on how things work.

If you feel confident and fully understood the techniques, then feel free to delve deeper in. Many people have been successfull. Many have failed. Many have even failed at the pf tek.

Pick your teks and follow them to the T, and dont improvise.

A glovebox will make all the difference.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlineneopet nub
Stranger

#9678609 - 01/25/09 06:59 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

@Veda

The PF tek is NOT easier than WBS or RYE.  WBS is the logical step towards advanced mushroom cultivation since it is great for G2G and is very cheap and is only one ingredient compared to the vast amount of additives you need for BRF which is not as good for expanding the amount of mycelium you have IMO.

--------------------
Ego death from weed!

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
Re: difficulty of cultivation? [Re: neopet nub]
    #9678643 - 01/25/09 07:02 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

The PF tek is NOT easier than WBS or RYE.

Yes it is.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

InvisibleWeed_Indicated
Hemp will Savethe Planet
Male User Gallery

Loc: FEMA Camp #420
Re: difficulty of cultivation? [Re: neopet nub]
    #9678739 - 01/25/09 07:15 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

neopet nub said:
@Veda

The PF tek is NOT easier than WBS or RYE.  WBS is the logical step towards advanced mushroom cultivation since it is great for G2G and is very cheap and is only one ingredient compared to the vast amount of additives you need for BRF which is not as good for expanding the amount of mycelium you have IMO.

Everything you said is wrong.

--------------------
FrankHorrigan WBS Prep
Magesh's Rye Tek
SixTango's G2G Tek
Liquid Culture Basics
MonsterMitch's Monotub Tek

----
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be understood to mean that I choose to participate in activities which break federal, state, or local laws. All posts are strictly fictional.

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: difficulty of cultivation? [Re: Weed_Indicated]
    #9678819 - 01/25/09 07:25 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Having done both several times now, pf tek (in plastic) is easier and faster.

That being said, 1/4 pint wbs containers colonize pretty fast too.  Would be perfect for doing small scale grows/tubs/trays/playing with clones/isolates.

Takes me about 30 minutes to mix up a big batch of pf mix.  Takes me about an hour to do a batch of WBS and then there's the overnight soak wait period.

Both have their ups and downs, pros and cons.

If I only had glass jars, I wouldn't bother with the pf tek, as it's a big pain in the ass and takes a long time to colonize and you're limited to small size cakes.

However in plastic, you can do quart cakes in about a week and that's nothing to look down on.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures