Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
pressure cooker
    #959577 - 10/14/02 11:45 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I recently got my hands on an old pressure cooker, it's a "Maid of Honor" model that was manufactured by Sears. This thing has no weights and no guage, just a little vent spout/hole and a little pop-up pressure indicator.

Does it sound as though there are some parts missing? Is there anyway to tell how much pressure this thing builds?

The old lady I got it from claims that this is all there is but she got it from someone else and just used it to boil noodles.  :grin: I don't know a thing about pressure cookers and do not want to blow my head off finding out.  :shocked:

Do any of you know about this model? 

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGreen_Velvet
Super Human HipHop Head
Loc: La La Land
Re: pressure cooker [Re: dog]
    #959590 - 10/14/02 11:52 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Not familiar with it but heres a link to get you started
google search results

OfflineBruiser
Fuel Injected Suicide Machine

Loc: Hell
    #959594 - 10/14/02 11:54 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

It does sound like something may be missing. Like you said, the weight or guage. You'll know if something's missing if you go to use it and steam starts escaping from the vent in the top.
-Bruiser

--------------------
-I put the chrome to your dome

OfflineLoop_Theorist
addict
    #959597 - 10/14/02 11:55 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I would like to preface this by sateting that I am NOT an expert on Pressure cookers, so use at your OWN risk.

With that out of the way, I recall when I was very young on the farm, we had several PC's that didn't have any gauges or adjustments. I belive these had a set pressure (thus the little pop-up thing), Now when we started selling our canned goods, we couldn't use these because all of our pressure cookers had to be state certified and calibrated to meet a certin PSI.

I'd hazzard a guess and say that this older modle is prolly set for a default 10 PSI, but dont quote me on it.

-Loop

--------------------
Pack-tight, midnight, ship it to tha coast.
Some take tha plane, you, you on tha boat,
right beside tha money which right beside tha coke
Passin by tha coastgaurd, right under their nose.

To the US-HEY where anyone can getny, MIA all the way to New Your city, you a twenty now....

Invisibledog
straw dog

Re: pressure cooker [Re: Green_Velvet]
    #959598 - 10/14/02 11:55 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks Green_Velvet but I have already tried Google, HotBot and WebCrawler.  :tongue: 

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Re: pressure cooker [Re: Loop_Theorist]
    #959609 - 10/14/02 12:02 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Loop_Theorist, I believe you are correct. In the course of my search I discovered that this relic was manufactured in 1947. I do not think that 10 PSI is going to work for sterilizing  :frown: Too bad.

Thanks for the info. 

--------------------

OfflineLoop_Theorist
addict
    #959613 - 10/14/02 12:04 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Well, mine runs at 12 PSI (cuz I'm a broke ass farmer) and everything seems to be ok... I'm not sure how big a deal that 2 PSI will be though, like I said, I'm no expert.

-Loop

--------------------

To the US-HEY where anyone can getny, MIA all the way to New Your city, you a twenty now....

Invisibledog
straw dog

#959697 - 10/14/02 12:42 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Well, that's encouraging.

Do you work with grains? Do you extend the PC time beyond the usual 20 minutes?

--------------------

InvisibleShaw

#959729 - 10/14/02 12:57 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

it works. stammets has some formula for how long to sterilize cirtain sized jars at different psi.

--------------------

OfflineLoop_Theorist
addict
    #959742 - 10/14/02 01:01 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I'm just starting working with bird seed. I PC for 40mins to 1hr. My first batch of jars fell to contams, but I dont think I have my water content right, they looked kinda gooey, I also got a bit slopy during innoculation. I'll be starting a new batch this very evening (in about 4 hrs actually) I'll bust out the digi-cam. Some where there is a post where I asked about 12psi vs 15 psi... ahh here it is.

I'll let you know how everything works out for me.

-Loop

--------------------

Invisibledog
straw dog

#959753 - 10/14/02 01:07 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Very cool. Thanks guys.

--------------------

Edited by dog (10/14/02 01:09 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds