Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejelsert
Jelsert
Air Exchange and Maintaining RH level
    #958513 - 10/14/02 01:07 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

If a terraium has been modifidy from its previous state (a large, clear plastic storage container) with 2, 3inch holes covered with filter discs over them. Having one 3 inch computer cooling fan on the top of the case, with an exhaust one the bottom (also with disc) set to run for 10 min each hour. How would one make sure the humidity was at the proper level (92%)? The casing containers are on top of perlite, and the humidity gauge says 85% (humidity gauge was purchased for $8, and is a small disc w/ plastic cover), could it be the gauge's problem? There is a little bit of condensation on the side of the terraium but none on the top? Are the fans running too often? Whataya think?

Thanks
Dave

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Air Exchange and Maintaining RH level [Re: jelsert]
    #958790 - 10/14/02 02:54 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Its probably the humidity gauge. Unless you got lucky and got a really good one, its probably unnacurate above 90%.

Ive had problems with analog hydrometeres, try getting a digital one for 20-30 bucks.

If the sides are sweating, that means the rH is pretty high. The fan running 10 mins every hour is probably fine as well. It shouldnt really effect the rH due to the fact its not bringing in any fresh air, jjust recirculating the air.

YOu should still fan 1-2 times a day though if you have the time. Even more would be better.

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: Air Exchange and Maintaining RH level [Re: angryshroom]
    #958884 - 10/14/02 03:48 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well TMC says that you should have air exchanges like 4-6 times an hour and actually list how much co2 should be in the chamber which might be 5000ppm. Cant remember the exact number but you could always get that device as well and calibrate your setup to stay at that benchmark. Might be an expensive endeavor though.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Offlinekayaman9
enthusiast
Loc: windy city
Re: Air Exchange and Maintaining RH level [Re: socratesmind]
    #959160 - 10/14/02 07:31 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Told you not to buy thay shitty humidity meter. Usually if there is condensation on the walls of the terrarium the rh is above 90. But you should still fan once a day or so. later

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Air Exchange and Maintaining RH level [Re: kayaman9]
    #959472 - 10/14/02 12:52 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Actually TMC recomends fewer air exchanges than that, I believe 1-3 an hour. In real life you don't need that much. Read the first part of the grow room chapter. Stamets says that with micro culture fewer air exchanges are needed, down to one per day. IME fruits can be had with only 1 air exchange per day, but contamination rates are much higher.

On the other hand, with no more details or accuracy of a gauge to go off of, I'd say that the described situation is perfectly fine. Just remember that you want higher humidity levels for pinning stage.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Air Exchange and Maintaining RH level [Re: mycofile]
    #959840 - 10/14/02 03:41 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, I agree..

Really, you dont need 1-3 per hour... I mean, especially during prepinning or pinning stage, its gotta stay high, and your casing is going to have to be at its optium moisture level.

When the pins are formed, then you can start fanning more. LIke 1 per hour is by far enough !

Lastly you dont even need a friggin hydrometer. :smile:

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
Re: Air Exchange and Maintaining RH level [Re: jelsert]
    #960702 - 10/14/02 08:58 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

The Hydro-Pod seems like it has a good method...
It keeps both a high humidity and enough circulation of air... up untill now I have been warey of the POD, but I think I'll make a freind one... I have just found a place that I can buy the Little Brown Balls to use in a hydro pod... Only I want my freind to try out an automated system that can hold like a dozen cakes...

OfflineHepC
I have HepC

Re: Air Exchange and Maintaining RH level [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #982136 - 10/22/02 08:26 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

what about the heating element? They generaly stay warm?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Paul Stamets, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology