Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshogun221
God in the Wired

I need an expert....
    #940339 - 10/07/02 03:00 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I'm relaying this message for my cat, who hasn't tried this type of thing before.

A few weeks ago, he inoculated 3 jars with the EQ strain. Up to this point, colonization had been perfect. All three had excellent growth until they reached at or around the bottom of the jars. Around the same time on all 3 jars, the mycelium stopped advancing. At first, he thought this was a typical case of slowed growth. He flipped them, and put them (covered) in a box with a few incandescent bulbs for heat. Nothing. Then he noticed that mycelium on the top of the jars was growing stronger, sapping the cake, causing it to pull away from the jar on the bottom. THIS has him worried. At the current rate, the cakes will be dry by the time the bottom colonizes. The cakes have wells, so he should be able to re-hydrate them once they are birthed, but he'd rather not take them out of the jars prematurely if he can help it.

Here's a few details on how the jars look (pics may follow):

The cake is pulling away from the jars on the bottom only, there is also a noticeable "crack" between the top verm layer in the jar and the cake itself

There is a fair bit of condensation on the outside of each jar.

On the "frontier", or boundry between the colonized mycelium and uncolonized substrate, the mycelium looks like it is being squased between the jar and substrate. this is most noticeable on the two jars with some growth on the bottom, where the mycelium literally looks like it has been pressed into a solid while sheet.

If anyone can lend me a hand, my cat would greatly appreciate it. (He's been really worried...)

--------------------
"A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward. ~FDR"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Loc: Georgia
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: shogun221]
    #940362 - 10/07/02 03:09 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

Offlineshogun221
God in the Wired

Re: I need an expert....pics [Re: shogun221]
    #940371 - 10/07/02 03:14 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
"A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward. ~FDR"

Offlineshogun221
God in the Wired

crap, crap crap..... [Re: Macey Howard]
    #940400 - 10/07/02 03:29 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

From what I've heard about cutting away substrate, you might as well throw the whole cake away, as it will almost always get infected. I figured that was the answer I was gonna get, but I'm really desparate for alternatives.

I've been toying with an idea I'd like to run by everyone first.

How about temporarily removing the cakes from the jars, rehydrating the well with water, then using a flame-sterliized pin to loosen up the substrate a bit? Could it work?

If the cake does need to be birthed prematurely, are there any steps that can be taken to help keep the the thing from being infected?

"sigh"... and everthing was going so well too...

--------------------

Edited by shogun221 (10/07/02 03:30 PM)

Offlineellisdee625
enthusiast
Re: crap, crap crap..... [Re: shogun221]
    #940437 - 10/07/02 03:43 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

moe told you what to do. he is correct.

--------------------
Have a smurfy day!!!

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
    #940474 - 10/07/02 03:55 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

i know someone who does it all the time because she is impatient. if you scrape off as much substrate as possible you will be ok. just be sterile. definately do not throw them away untill they are contaminated.

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
Re: crap, crap crap..... [Re: 1stimer]
    #940641 - 10/07/02 04:58 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

i've have good results cutting uncolonized parts of cakes off.  Nevr had any contamination doing it.  Now that i think of it, i was never really strile with that part either.  But good thumbnote is to clean the knife off :wink:

Offlineshogun221
God in the Wired

Re: crap, crap crap..... [Re: MsPacMan]
    #940656 - 10/07/02 05:03 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

But aren't the insides of the cake partly uncolonized too? Doesn't cutting away the uncolonized substrate simply open more uncolonized substrate to air? How do I know which parts of the cake are suitable for birthing?

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #940769 - 10/07/02 05:36 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

If its white, its right.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate