Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Anyone on a debate team?
    #9365034 -

Thought I'd see if there are any fellow debaters out there. Have any of you done parliamentary/policy/Lincoln Douglas debate in high school or college?

I've been in debate for years, and it's changed my life in so many ways. It's been fun, since a ton of debaters smoke weed and party hard. When I look at some of my stupid stoner friends, I realize debate really saved me, because it got me involved in intelligent discussion and shit, in a way that jives so well with drug culture. Without it I'd be quite the dumbass.

So yea, just wondering.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone on a debate team? [Re: bhamlaxy]
    #9365042 -



--------------------
:musicnote:Music doesn't stop at the ears when it begins at the heart.:musicnote:


:psychsplit:"Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind."
            -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:psychsplit:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone on a debate team? [Re: bhamlaxy]
    #9365044 -

No, but damn I wish I was.
A bunch of my friends here at OSU did it in high school. My understanding is one or two of them were really fucking good too.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone on a debate team? [Re: bhamlaxy]
    #9365063 -

I used to be on my high school forensics team. Competed in Lincoln/Douglas and was the novice champion my junior year.

I also took part in mock congress and was voted speaker of the house twice. I've got the gavels to prove it. Ha!

This all a long time ago though. I miss it sometimes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone on a debate team? [Re: EMunch]
    #9365548 -

I took debate in Highschool and competed a couple of times, honestly, it was a waste of time. Didn't enjoy the topics I had to debate about, and not a great speaker. Intelligent people was a plus side, met two good pals who coincidentally also indulged in drugs like me. Still friends with 'em today!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone on a debate team? [Re: feifen]
    #9365554 -

Yeah I was on the forensics team for a few months in High School and did some Lincoln Douglass debates. Was pretty good at it but had to stop for various reasons before I was involved for very long...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone on a debate team? [Re: EMunch]
    #9365563 -

Nice, ive never watched congress but LD seemed cool. I did policy in high school and now parli in college. I'm definitely gonna miss it

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone on a debate team? [Re: bhamlaxy]
    #9365602 -

My bestfriend was president of NYU's debate team for 2 years. Those guys do like to get down. I used to go hang out with them and we'd get incredibly blazed then they'd start talking/arguing about debate stuff that I knew nothing of, so I just zoned out and watched TV.

Stick with the debate stuff though, could bring good things. My buddy that was NYU's debate team pres. got his degree in finance and international business and is set to make about $100k his first year out of college if he gets the bonus he is expecting.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone on a debate team? [Re: bhamlaxy]
    #9365705 -

I'm not in debate per se, but I'm on my university's mock trial team (which entails lots of debate about legal issues).

I love the competitions. There's nothing like schooling your opposing counsel on an objection or giving a badass closing argument :laugh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Anyone on a debate team? [Re: vigilant_mind]
    #9372335 -

The competition was definatly the best part of it for me. Presenting an arguement that someone hasn't even prepared for in LD is one of the best feelings there is. Sitting there watching the other team dig through their file tub, knowing good and well they have nothing to rebut with. Then they start bickering about who was suppose to research which information. If you get the other team fighting you know its over.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Abraham Lincoln has died
( 1 2 3 all )
Burke Dennings 5,924 45 08/08/05 01:19 AM
by Swampgift
* the only one way to settle the 9/11 Consipiracy debate is to re-build the towers and crash 2 planes
( 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 all )
ZippoZM 16,432 185 04/01/08 01:05 AM
by moosehead
* Seceret congression session anyone420 841 12 09/25/08 05:30 PM
by Cowgold
* Ohio baseball team's bus crashes; 6 dead Dark_Star 1,144 5 03/02/07 04:25 PM
by Dark_Star
* Prohibition and Abraham Lincoln... happyday 590 0 09/16/04 03:22 AM
by happyday
* SWAT Team Honored For Raid On Wrong House
( 1 2 3 4 all )
DesertWolf 5,315 61 08/01/08 02:55 PM
by MarioTrip
* Official Starcraft league topic - PUB team
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 all )
Colonel Kurtz Ph.D 11,955 130 07/06/06 06:01 PM
by License_to_Chill
* Congress caught making false entries in Wikipedia SourceLimit 2,941 19 02/06/06 09:09 PM
by Koala Koolio

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
581 topic views. 10 members, 43 guests and 258 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.