Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
I just put some caulk in a crack
    #9223162 -

No, you perv. Not surprise buttseks.

This 130 year old building I live in is falling apart and there are all kinds of drafts coming through gaps between molding and plaster.

I think I've asked before, but I'll ask again. Anyone have any ideas on how to weather seal a window for winter without permanently ruining its ability to open and close? I have one ginormous window that I covered with a clear plastic sheet and that seems to be working. I really don't want to have to cover my windows in the kitchen with plastic. It looks so god damn tacky.

Also, what's the best method of locating the source of a draft other than by feeling around with the back of your hand? Are there any other methods? I was thinking turn off all air flow and get a stick of incense and see if the smoke is blown away when i put it near a suspected source of a draft.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I just put some caulk in a crack [Re: Gumby]
    #9223175 -

caulk, weather stripping, spray foam. it's not hard, and your smoke idea sounds like it'll work.


--------------------
[quote]skalthren said:
It's nice of you to imply that I've been brainwashed by the government, but the truth is that I'm simply intelligent enough to recognize the subtleties of these issues instead of going "durr hurr, weed should totally be legal!"[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I just put some caulk in a crack [Re: monkeywrench]
    #9223201 -

Wouldn't spray foam ruin the window's functionality?

The windows are old as shit and have these chains attached to the pane that slides. The chains are connected to a counterweight system in the sides of the window. How the hell do I seal up where the chain is? Should I get a pic of it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I just put some caulk in a crack [Re: Gumby]
    #9223214 -

your smoke idea will work.  the pros do the same thing except they got some fancy gun that emits smoke.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I just put some caulk in a crack [Re: Gumby]
    #9223225 -

Gumby said:
Wouldn't spray foam ruin the window's functionality?

The windows are old as shit and have these chains attached to the pane that slides. The chains are connected to a counterweight system in the sides of the window. How the hell do I seal up where the chain is? Should I get a pic of it?


oh I forgot you  said 100 sumthin yrs old. new windows have the counterweights internally.  yeah def put up pics.  in any case you should be able to seal up and open space w/ a combo of weather stripping and caulk.


--------------------
[quote]skalthren said:
It's nice of you to imply that I've been brainwashed by the government, but the truth is that I'm simply intelligent enough to recognize the subtleties of these issues instead of going "durr hurr, weed should totally be legal!"[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I just put some caulk in a crack [Re: monkeywrench]
    #9223255 -





Yeah I know, it's grimy as fuck. Like I said, old ass building that's had it's fair share of water damage and shit like that. Part of the reason for all the grime is all the cracks that need to be sealed, it's all shit that comes in from the city. More motivation to seal this place up.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I just put some caulk in a crack [Re: Gumby]
    #9223305 -

eBay Shop for: Incense, Buttseks

:ilold:


--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, federal, or fashion police laws. All posts are works of fiction.

For well you know that its a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder.

Under closer inspection I realised it was a funky ball of tits from outer space.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I just put some caulk in a crack [Re: circularvortex]
    #9223373 -

circularvortex said:
eBay Shop for: Incense, Buttseks

:ilold:



:lol:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I just put some caulk in a crack [Re: Gumby]
    #9223444 -

they make these foam inserts that go behind outlet/switch plate covers that help cut drafts from those areas, and you can get a pack of like 8 for ~$2.

also if u insulate the first 3' or so of your hot water pipes you can cut heat loss and if it stops enough heat loss you can turn your water down a few degrees.


--------------------


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I just put some caulk in a crack [Re: Gumby]
    #9223488 -

they produce an optically clear plastic film for interior
application, you put it in place with a double sided tape
and use a heat gun or hair drier to shrink it an take out the
ripples in the film, you will lose functionality on the window
but short of replacing it it's the only way to keep out the
weather

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I just put some caulk in a crack [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #9223542 -

Prisoner#1 said:
they produce an optically clear plastic film for interior
application, you put it in place with a double sided tape
and use a heat gun or hair drier to shrink it an take out the
ripples in the film, you will lose functionality on the window
but short of replacing it it's the only way to keep out the
weather



Best advice right there. Had to do it for the basement in the winter before I could have the windows replaced, yes its tacky but would you rather your house look a little tacky or loose an extra 20-30 a month on your heating?.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I just put some caulk in a crack [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #9223604 -

That's what I'm using on the 55"x96" window. It works, kinda.

I'll probably end up just doing the same in the kitchen.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I just put some caulk in a crack [Re: Gumby]
    #9224866 -

it's good on weighted sashes, odds are if the place ever had insulation it was cotton ticking or old news paper and it's settled over the years, most likely it never had any insulation


on that large window, get some heavy drapes, it'll help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: I just put some caulk in a crack [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #9225648 -

drapes are a good idea and you can just stuff those voids temp w/pieces of foam.


--------------------
[quote]skalthren said:
It's nice of you to imply that I've been brainwashed by the government, but the truth is that I'm simply intelligent enough to recognize the subtleties of these issues instead of going "durr hurr, weed should totally be legal!"[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Question for the bold about cracking joints schmektron 983 4 06/04/04 11:32 PM
by Phencyclidine
* I'm thinking about plastic surgery again
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
RandalFlagg 8,177 84 07/19/05 02:32 PM
by Vvellum
* Prank call about caulk. I promise youll laugh Waffles420 1,620 6 02/25/09 12:50 PM
by Gumby
* Drug dealers using subliminal message to advertise Crack Hawkeye3 927 4 04/13/06 10:58 PM
by Habitual_Liar
* *OMG* Nitrous Oxide (N2O) Never Ceases To AMAZE Me! The "Hippie-Crack-Head Thread"...
( 1 2 3 all )
TM 10,759 50 12/25/05 09:54 PM
by notapillow
* I need trip reports for crack
( 1 2 all )
BrAiN 5,210 22 05/06/05 01:35 AM
by Fospher
* Who cracks their knuckles???
( 1 2 all )
mikeyboy 3,352 32 08/18/05 07:01 PM
by nightkrawler
* Squirrels high on crack cocaine
( 1 2 all )
Bi0TeK 2,937 23 10/24/22 07:38 PM
by durian_2008

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
571 topic views. 2 members, 26 guests and 201 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.