Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineschmektron
Vainglorious

Loc: Wrapped in an imbroglio
Question for the bold about cracking joints
    #2764442 - 06/04/04 10:18 PM (13 years, 24 days ago)

Last night a friend of mine asserted that if one regularly cracks his/her joints then this would be detrimental to the health of the person in question.  Basically, he said that the frequent release of gasses in the joints that can be obtained via popping would surely cause arthritis.  This is the first time I have ever heard this and I was a little shocked (mainly because I was on mescaline).  I got to thinkin' and I concluded that what he said is just an old wive's tale because chiropractors crack people's spine for a living and apparantly that's beneficial.  (Alright get to the fucking point, dude).  I consulted google but found only conflicting reports. Would the frequent poppage of joints be unsavory to a person's health later on in life?  (Oh yeah, I really pop my joints a lot) :stoned:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: Question for the bold about cracking joints [Re: schmektron]
    #2764476 - 06/04/04 10:37 PM (13 years, 24 days ago)

ok, it may just be the context, but when I read "cracking joints" I thought "adding cocaine to joints", which is not that safe.

I don't think cracking your knuckles will give you arthritis, though I don't know for sure.

InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

Re: Question for the bold about cracking joints [Re: schmektron]
    #2764560 - 06/04/04 11:08 PM (13 years, 24 days ago)

The only thing I have read is that cracking knuckles may damage some of the soft tissue in the joints. It has not been conclusively linked to arthritis, AFAIK.

If your friend asserts that this is correct then ask your friend to back this up with data.

BTW - I searched PubMed for "knuckle cracking" and there were only 8 papers that came up. Even the recent ones were still asking whether or not this caused health problems. So, your friend is claiming to know more than health professionals around the world.

Quote:

Ann Rheum Dis. 1990 May;49(5):308-9.
Castellanos J, Axelrod D.

The relation of habitual knuckle cracking to osteoarthrosis with functional impairment of the hand has long been considered an old wives' tale without experimental support. The mechanical sequelae of knuckle cracking have been shown to produce the rapid release of energy in the form of sudden vibratory energy, much like the forces responsible for the destruction of hydraulic blades and ship propellers. To investigate the relation of habitual knuckle cracking to hand function 300 consecutive patients aged 45 years or above and without evidence of neuromuscular, inflammatory, or malignant disease were evaluated for the presence of habitual knuckle cracking and hand arthritis/dysfunction. The age and sex distribution of the patients (74 habitual knuckle crackers, 226 non-knuckle crackers) was similar. There was no increased preponderance of arthritis of the hand in either group; however, habitual knuckle crackers were more likely to have hand swelling and lower grip strength. Habitual knuckle cracking was associated with manual labour, biting of the nails, smoking, and drinking alcohol. It is concluded that habitual knuckle cracking results in functional hand impairment.

OfflinePhychotron
Crazy Mofo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In A Forest Of Colossal F...
Re: Question for the bold about cracking joints [Re: Phencyclidine]
    #2764587 - 06/04/04 11:15 PM (13 years, 24 days ago)

i've heard that, and i think it is an old wives tale... (cracks nuckles right now) i remember when i was a kid, everyone would say it causes authritus, and then one day, i asked my grandma about it, who has really bad arthritus, and she said she had never heard of that before. so with that in mind, i figured, well, she's much older than me, she would probably have heard it before sometime in her life, and since she hadnt heard it, that it was something 'they' were telling to the younger croud, to get them to stop. Belive it or not, thier's a lot of people who think that craking your knuckles is very rude... i dont know how, but it's wierd... same with chewing gum... i dont get it... but thier are people out there. then yea, chiropractors crack stuff all day, and it seems to help. so i dont know, next time i'm at the chiropractors office, i'll ask him.

--------------------
On a mission to prove that the truth gets you no where.
They tried the truth, It didn't work. Then they wrote the bible. 

Only the foolish fear the inevitable.

InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

Re: Question for the bold about cracking joints [Re: Phychotron]
    #2765024 - 06/05/04 01:32 AM (13 years, 24 days ago)

Yeah, I really don't understand the cracking knuckles being rude thing. It's not like I'm farting and making it smell like shit, or burping up the smell of garlic. I'm cracking my fucking knuckles. Don't like the sound? Well I don't like the sound of how you breath. I figure that if it did cause serious damage that people would've figured it out by now. I've read more than one paper about it decreasing grip strength and possibly causing soft tissue damage, but it didn't seem to be damage that was crippling.

HA. I remember people used to tell me that coffee would stunt my growth. Sure, please show me the studies saying that coffee stunts growth. LOL! Those old wives sure do spin some good yarns.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: San Pedro

Community >> The Pub