Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

The Land Of The Free (A question for Americans)
    #1791295 - 08/08/03 09:24 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Do you truly believe that you live in the land of free?

I live in the UK and as an outsider looking in; I believe that you are far from free.

Like most countries in Europe, UK law is pretty easy going compared to the US. It appears the the people who run the US are afraid to allow the citizens to think for themselves - they're control freaks.

The current changes to the Ohio law regarding mushroom spores just seems like another case of fear of "freedom of thought."

Why is it that the administration is so keen to proclaim the US as the land of the free, yet they are so keen to prevent you from experimenting with naturally occuring substances? Is it because the enlightened and knowledgable are so much harder to control?

I really don't know, but I'd be interested to hear whether you consider yourselves free, and what your personal definition of freedom is.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecdchriscd
Green Acres

Loc: FL
Re: The Land Of The Free (A question for Americans) [Re: Jackal]
    #1791306 - 08/08/03 09:31 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I don't think I'm living in "the land of the free"; though I consider myself faily free. I can get my hands on most substances, natural or not, and I can do it with out running into the law. You personal freedom is something I think you have to earn for yourself. No country, or anything else will give it to you.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1791315 - 08/08/03 09:39 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Among the freest .

Quote:

It appears the the people who run the US are afraid to allow the citizens to think for themselves - they're control freaks.

There are 280 million people here. Sadly, far too many act like assholes and ruin it for the rest of us.

Quote:

The current changes to the Ohio law regarding mushroom spores just seems like another case of fear of "freedom of thought."

That's an unfortunate development, but as the older generation dies off, the pendulum will nswing the other way.

Quote:

Why is it that the administration is so keen to proclaim the US as the land of the free, yet they are so keen to prevent you from experimenting with naturally occuring substances? Is it because the enlightened and knowledgable are so much harder to control?

Sorry, but I disagree that drugs "enlighten" you. They should all be legal, but to assign magical powers to drugs is unrealistic. They are illegal because many of the politicians we have, and have had, are assholes.

Quote:

I really don't know, but I'd be interested to hear whether you consider yourselves free, and what your personal definition of freedom is.

While not the freest, we can go where we wish, do what we wish (for the most part), say what we wish, hear what we wish, think what we wish, we're free to become what we wish. The opportunities here are only limited by the individual desire. Could things be better? Of course. That will require time and the people and government must grow up a bit first.

Sdaly, when this country put an income tax into effect, the downhill slide began. People have to pay for unconstitutional programs such as welfare and other social programs. We are robbed to give money to those who do nothing to earn it.

This actually sounds more like a PA&L question though.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

Re: The Land Of The Free (A question for Americans) [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1791332 - 08/08/03 09:48 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

OK enlightenment was a bad word. But you know what I mean. :wink:

Mods, If you think this is better suited to PAL then click that button.

Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

Loc: space city
    #1791611 - 08/08/03 11:45 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

That's an unfortunate development, but as the older generation dies off, the pendulum will nswing the other way.

i call BULLSHIT!! i know too many self-righteous bible thumpers my age who won't let this happen.

(this is not a flame against christians just christians who are retarded)

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Loc: Terrapin Station
    #1791884 - 08/08/03 01:17 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Jackal said:

Absolutly not. If I go outside and smoke a joint and someone sees me I can go to jail. This country was founded on the principle of freedom and to be able to practice your religous beliefs without persicution. Yet my religious practice of injesting plants I consider sacred is a felony. I can go to prison for practicing my religous beliefs though they cause no one any harm.

The founding ideals of this nation were great ,but they have long since died. I think the founders of this country would vomit at the current state were in. Sure our country is better than some others, but that does not justify settling for violations like the war on drugs.
As long as this country has a war on drugs, I will consider our freedom under attack from the goverment which is supposed to protect it.

This is my view on life in the US.

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

Invisibleiglou
enthusiast
    #1791946 - 08/08/03 01:36 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hell no.

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #1792050 - 08/08/03 02:17 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

No, we know were just tools

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: The Land Of The Free (A question for Americans) [Re: chinacat72]
    #1792087 - 08/08/03 02:29 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I find it amazing that anyone would use the ability to use drugs as the sole basis of defining freedom.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineCrass
Explorer of theMind

#1792105 - 08/08/03 02:36 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Did you actually think you were going to find many people on this board who would say "yes blah blah blah I live in the land of the free" then get flamed by like 20 people...

InvisibleLazerouth
Drunkard

Loc: England
Re: The Land Of The Free (A question for Americans) [Re: Crass]
    #1792221 - 08/08/03 03:15 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

i lived in america for 12 years and to be honest id say that england is much more laid back. they just like going on about freedom cuz they used to have the man on their back. now the man is gone and its just a faded dream.

here in england i can walk through a busy street, even past police officers with a spliff and no one cares. peyote and shrooms are legal and once when i was 14 they even let me drink tequila in a police station.

i wouldnt call the out lawing of psychedelics a loss of freedom. the majority of society views them as bad. for the most part they are bad. in the sense that you dont actually need them and they have great potential for fucking your mind over. besides isnt it the governments job 5to represent the majority?

yeah anyway england>america

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

#1792286 - 08/08/03 03:42 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
I find it amazing that anyone would use the ability to use drugs as the sole basis of defining freedom.

I didn't say it's my sole basis for defining freedom. Your putting words in my mouth. I said that I am not legaly allowed to practice my religion and "right to pursue happiness". Those are violations of the freedoms that are foundations to this country. Sure i'm free to go out and buy a car or do things people in other countrys can't. That still doesn't change the fact that the war on drugs is a violation of my rights.

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Re: The Land Of The Free (A question for Americans) [Re: Lazerouth]
    #1792312 - 08/08/03 03:49 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

in the sense that you dont actually need them and they have great potential for fucking your mind over. besides isnt it the governments job 5to represent the majority?

yeah anyway england>america

The same can be said of firearms, alcohol and a million other things.

Freedom to me is being able to do whatever I want without infringing on the rights of my fellow man.

Debates over politics is useless. Theres such a wide gap between left wing and right wing that no commen ground will ever be found.
Frankly I could care less. I do whatever I want that doesn't infringe on the rights of other people. I ignore the goverment and try to keep away from it.

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

Re: The Land Of The Free (A question for Americans) [Re: Crass]
    #1792683 - 08/08/03 05:26 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Crass said:
Did you actually think you were going to find many people on this board who would say "yes blah blah blah I live in the land of the free" then get flamed by like 20 people... 

Dunno, thats why I asked.  :confused:

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #1793217 - 08/08/03 07:47 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

please refer to this thread:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...=&fpart=all

this is why we are where we are.

that and reactionary politics.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: The Land Of The Free (A question for Americans) [Re: chinacat72]
    #1793443 - 08/08/03 08:49 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

chinacat72 said:
Freedom to me is being able to do whatever I want without infringing on the rights of my fellow man.

^ exactly :wink:

check out the sig

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: The Land Of The Free (A question for Americans) [Re: Vulture]
    #1793499 - 08/08/03 09:02 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

"freedom is what you make of it" I have that written on my pack, and i believe it. I believe aslong as i dont impose anything on anyone else i am absolutely free to do anything i please, and i do that...i just live my own life completely oblivious of the "social constraints" that are supposedly placed on me, and never get hassled...even though you would think im a deviant on first impression.

Im in Canada though.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: The Land Of The Free (A question for Americans) [Re: PDU]
    #1793613 - 08/08/03 09:30 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

PDU said:
"freedom is what you make of it" I have that written on my pack, and i believe it. I believe aslong as i dont impose anything on anyone else i am absolutely free to do anything i please, and i do that...i just live my own life completely oblivious of the "social constraints" that are supposedly placed on me, and never get hassled...even though you would think im a deviant on first impression.

Im in Canada though.

Everything is what you make of it. Your perception is your reality. These are not new statements by any means but most people dont fully take adtantage of the knowledge within.

as for freedom....freedom is not a thing, its an idea. You cant really make an idea that someone came up with into something different than what it origionally was....then it would be a totally different idea and therefore would need to be called something else.

Agreed i feel free and all. But the fact that someone can legally (or in our case its the legal system itself) punish me for doing something like smoking pot or eating shrooms makes me feel very ashamed at what we have become as a society not to mention the hundreds of other things that make me feel the same way. I mean that like telling me i cant meditate, or jack off, or cut my hair, ect. Its just rediculas.

Now in my point of veiw all psycadelics and there relatives and anything thats naturally occuring should be legal but only available to those aware of the effects and all that kind of stuff.

As for addicting substances and prosessed non-psycadelics such as mere pleasure drugs. I dont think they should be illegal....but there would need to be a way to prevent people from becomming addicted and powerless over the drug. Drugs that create such dispare and psychoticly induced desire for themselves need to be someone regulated in a way in which to prevent them from taking over that persons life. Im just really on the fence when it comes to these kinds of drugs.

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
    #1793682 - 08/08/03 09:52 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

"free to kill, free to pound beers, free to fuck anything in sight, free to kick ass and take names, free to roll over anything dead or alive in my honkin ass t-r-u-c-k, free to smack a child, free to own dog and eat a fucking whopper... yeah, I'm free. free to destroy, any day of the week. as long as I will violence, I'm in the clear. As soon as I want love and kindness, I'm stuck with nowhere to go but the nearest wall."

-from ADBUSTERS

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #1793684 - 08/08/03 09:54 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

duh, we all feel burdened by having that "freedom" legally taken away, but thats here nor there. If your smart, if your not a criminal, if you you mean well you are free. I talk about all sorts of drug's in public and do drug's in public, and act flamboyant or strange as hell in public...and i am free to do so. People do need to be reminded that they are in control of their live's and they need to understand the consequence's of their actions (not taking drug's, but what they do on drug's...be it driving, or turning the music up too loud, or running around the street masturbating..) Yes, our freedom is limited but their is no point in dreaming up an idealisticly "free" society. Unless your a jack ass your free pretty much.

We're all ashamed of this Bullshit world, but its how it is, and it is possible to make the most of it, it's easy to defy the rule's and live the life you want.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: San Pedro

Community >> The Pub