Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineigore
Shroomist
Loc: AZ
-A rather pressing question-
    #1764191 - 07/30/03 09:05 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

My friend proposed this question to me last night and he kept pestering me about it-

So, you're traveling in a plane and you see a fly flying around in the cabin and it lands on your arm. Does the plane weigh more after the fly landed on your arm?

I kept telling him to fuck off because he didn't define the question well enough, but I'd like some insight from the rest of the world. And don't just tell me to fuck off because I didn't do a good job defining the question.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleXibalba
Stranger
Re: -A rather pressing question- [Re: igore]
    #1764214 - 07/30/03 09:10 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Edited by Xibalba (09/30/05 12:28 AM)

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Loc: OR
Re: -A rather pressing question- [Re: Xibalba]
    #1764229 - 07/30/03 09:16 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Good answer! Good answer!

But assuming that the fuel is factored out of the equation, then yes. The plane then weighs more.

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
Re: -A rather pressing question- [Re: GernBlanston]
    #1764746 - 07/31/03 12:36 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

No, the plane weighs the same. The fly is generating down-thrust when it's in the air, and that down-thrust is being exerted against the floor of the plane, pushing it down.

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#1764836 - 07/31/03 01:23 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Sev is right. Fly landing makes no difference.

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Re: -A rather pressing question- [Re: Sev]
    #1765146 - 07/31/03 06:06 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Correct, I believe that the plane weighs the same.

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1765271 - 07/31/03 07:02 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The plane weighs EXACTLY the same whether 1 fly or 10,000 flies land.

The weight of the plane wouldn't change if 10 elephants climbed aboard.

It's the weight of the cargo (flies, elephants, people) that would change.

Quote:

And don't just tell me to fuck off because I didn't do a good job defining the question.

So fuck off because you didn't do a very good job defining the question)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

#1765328 - 07/31/03 07:21 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The plane would weigh the same because it is a closed environment. When the doors were sealed everything inside became part of total mass of the plane.

If you were sat on the deck of a ship and a seagull shit on your head, then the total weight of the ship would increase.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: -A rather pressing question- [Re: Jackal]
    #1765355 - 07/31/03 07:29 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think so.

He asked specifically if the weight of the PLANE would change
Short of bolting or welding on bits and/or pieces, or removing pieces, the weight of the plane would not change.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

Re: -A rather pressing question- [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1765413 - 07/31/03 08:01 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Isn't that what I said. The weight of the plane wouldn't change.

Only by adding external components from outside of the plane could you increase the weight.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1765421 - 07/31/03 08:10 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Jackal said:
Isn't that what I said. The weight of the plane wouldn't change.

Only by adding external components from outside of the plane could you increase the weight.

That's not how I took this....
"The plane would weigh the same because it is a closed environment. When the doors were sealed everything inside became part of total mass of the plane."

I think that "When the doors were sealed everything inside became part of total mass IN the plane.

Not OF the plane.

As the fly is not attached to, or a component of, the plane.... the weight of the plane did not change.

--------------------

OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

#1765485 - 07/31/03 08:41 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Everything within the confines of the closed system contribute to its total weight.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1765487 - 07/31/03 08:44 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I agree.

However, the original question was not whether the total weight would increase but would the PLANE weigh more.

--------------------

OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

#1765495 - 07/31/03 08:50 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

:smile:

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1765500 - 07/31/03 08:54 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

:wink:

--------------------

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

#1766831 - 07/31/03 04:41 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

So the weight of the fly is added to the total weight of the planes even while the fly is in flight. This is because this is a closed system. So if the plane is on the tarmac and the fly comes in through the open dooris that weight added as the fly crosses the threshold of the door?

How about a closed plane in a dive. The passengers are free falling. Is there weight still added to the plane in this closed system?

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: -A rather pressing question- [Re: mntlfngrs]
    #1766861 - 07/31/03 04:50 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Forgetting for a moment that the closed system post was not mine, (I guess you asked me because I said I agree in a previous post)

no and no.

You are correct though that in those two situations there would be no change in the total weight for one and a change for the other. Good call.

However, the weight of their shit as they crap themselves would add no matter which way it fell, or flew.

Assuming of course that it was ejected with enough force to not just float and that all the passengers were naked.

--------------------

OfflineTraveler311
journeyman
Loc: West of the East side.
    #1766900 - 07/31/03 05:01 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I think the plane would weigh more. Even though the plane was sealed with everything inside the fly is in the air and his weight is not a factor until he lands. It would be the same if the fly was flying outside the plane and landed on it. The fly has no contact with the plane directly or indirectly so although he has mass it cannot be transfered to the plane so it does not matter. When the fly lands on your arm it exerts a force on it and because you are in contact with the plane it would add to the weight of the plane.

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

#1766928 - 07/31/03 05:11 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

actually I am going to disagree with no answer. The weight of the passengers in free fall is not added in that closed system, and I postulate that while a fly is flying its weight is not added either. I say this because it is the vacuum above the wings of the fly that provides lift (just like the plane itself). The weight is not translated to the floor via the air. The fly is essentially in free fall but by using its wings to create friction as the air tries to move from the bottom to the top of the wing it is able to remain aloft.

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

Edited by mntlfngrs (07/31/03 05:12 PM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: -A rather pressing question- [Re: mntlfngrs]
    #1766935 - 07/31/03 05:14 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Ummmm, I agreed with you.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]