Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Latest Clay Pot Photos
    #91648 - 01/12/00 09:12 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

#91650 - 01/13/00 10:07 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

DANM!! those Equadorians or what?

Anonymous

#91651 - 01/13/00 10:14 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Probably. I started with some EQ's and some South Americans from spore chicks but i've been making my own prints and not keeping track of what was what..

Offlineaims
journeyman
    #91652 - 01/12/00 10:58 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Tell us your Clay Pot tek, please

Anonymous

#91653 - 01/13/00 03:10 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Nice flush

InvisibleRipSnort
addict
Loc: Amsterdam
    #91654 - 01/13/00 06:08 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

That last pic is the most disgusting looking
mushroom Ive ever seen.
The 3rd pic shows the effects of dry air on the caps.(the splitting)

------------------
later

--------------------
later

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #91656 - 01/14/00 01:39 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

I thought Lostpup posted this tek months ago.
Look it up.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Anonymous

#91657 - 01/14/00 07:19 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Here's a recent photo I forgot to post before, of a clay pot that has been virtually 100% colonized.

I posted this tek a while back and have been using it now for several months with good results. The only difference is that I have gotten even lazier and the tek has gotten ridiculously simple.

After my cakes have flushed 3 or 4 times in the terrarium, I transfer them to unglazed clay pots.

I use straight composted manure with no vermiculite or anything else added. I put about 1" of manure on the bottom of the pot, drop the cake in whole, and cover it over with more manure.

I put the pots right next to my terrarium and water them when the pot is dry. At first you can water them like a plant, but when (if) the mycelium over runs the pot you will have to just put water in the saucer under the pot, since the mycellium wont absorb water that you dump directly on it.

I've tried this with fresh cakes with mostly bad results. Im experimenting now with letting the cake start pinning before burying it. We'll see how that goes. With flushed out cakes the results are quite good, usually another 3 flushes or more, and usually bigger fruits than the terrarium grows.

I'd like to hear results of anyone trying this tek so we can compare notes.

Anonymous

#91658 - 01/14/00 07:22 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Oh yeah.

That mutant shroom in the first set of pics was UGLY as hell but also weighed like .9 oz wet. I think it got so weird from me over watering the pot while it was growing. The cap never developed properly and inside it was all mutated also, like it may have been actually 2 or 3 shrooms that fused under the soil level.

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #91659 - 01/14/00 07:23 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

WOW...now that sounds like a useful way to use spent cakes:-) Sounds like a fun tek to play with too!

Great Work!

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

InvisiblePrellgott
addict
    #91660 - 01/15/00 05:35 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

so you don`t have them in a terrarium?
Temperature? air huminity?
does it smell?
manure compost- sterilzed?
what manure? horse? cow?
thanx

--------------------
i'm back

Anonymous

#91661 - 01/15/00 08:01 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

so you don`t have them in a terrarium?

No. I just realized that last photo might be misleading. I leave them in their pots to fruit them. I just tipped that one over to get a picture of the mycellium under the surface.

Temperature? air huminity?

They're inside, so the temperature is around 70F or so and humidity around 60%. I Don't do anything to control the temperature or humidity, except keeping the house comfortable for myself.

does it smell?

Not at all.

manure compost- sterilzed?

Nope, I use it straight from the bag. You shouldnt ever try to sterilize manure anyway, it ruins it.

what manure? horse? cow?

Its composted cow manure, which I bought in the lawn and garden supply at wal-mart. It costs about $1.25 for a 50 pound bag. The only bad part is they dont sell a smaller bag. :smile:

Its not really straight manure - its blended with leaves and other organic material. It looks and smells like dark black potting soil. This is what is meant by "composted cow manure" and anything labeled that way should be more or less the same stuff.

OfflineCode
addict
    #91662 - 01/16/00 06:23 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Using spent cakes, what kind of failure rate do you have with the clay pots?

What is they typical failure mode?

Teks for lazy people rock :smile:

InvisibleCondi1
old hand
    #91663 - 01/16/00 06:36 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for experience.
A novel approach I have not seen posted yet. Though, I have seen others use typical nursery pots to same affect. Still think you would do better in a more humid environment such as terrarium or greenhouse, but do not know what your limitations are. Your final pic specimens looked kind of ragged! :biggrin: Sorry, but major dehydrated! Otherwise, pretty impressed.
It's working so far for you, so I will not knock. Just trying to give an idea or two to help out. Not new tech, though, so don't get overly exited. Thanks for all info, though!
Peace.

[This message has been edited by Condi1 (edited January 16, 2000).]

Anonymous

#91664 - 01/16/00 08:41 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

:smile:

Well, the "failure rate" is 100% over a long enough time. I have never failed to get a single flush out of a buried cake, but eventually the pot will be over-run with mold.

Usually this happens after 3 or 4 flushes. The contamination always starts in the center of the pot, with the actual buried cake. I think that when the cake is totally spent and the mycellium there starts to die, then mold moves in and starts eating the dead mycelium.

Sometimes your only hint is when the pot stops flushing. If it doesnt flush for a week I throw it out. The mold doesnt seem to eat the manure, only the mycellium. If the pot was well colonized, then you'll see mold on the surface, otherwise they go bad from the inside out.

Heres a perfect specimen to counter the "ragged" specimen I posted before. : )

InvisibleCondi1
old hand
    #91665 - 01/16/00 09:11 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

100% failure rate? Don't knock yourself. I think 3-4 flushes is great! Especially if you just have pots out in open without having to hassle with other parameters, besides watering. Still kind of skeptical, but pics sure carry a lot of weight. Even if lower yield, time savings could be significant. Keep us posted as to experience! Ever consider regular plastic pots, maybe covering here and there? Will have less evaporation than clay. Always liked clay for drying abilities for cactus, but think it may be a draw back in this situation.
Peace. :biggrin:

Anonymous

#91666 - 01/16/00 09:43 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Covering the tops of them might be a good idea, actually.

The clay is nice because when you put water in the drip saucer the pot sucks it up like a sponge and makes a nice damp microenvironment around the soil...

I just tipped over a pot and stuck the colonized cake-thing in the terrarium. We'll se what happens. : )

I may look for some kind tops for these too. I've seen some plastic pot toppers for venus fly traps. Maybe could use something similar.

Of course every new ingredient takes away from the basic benefit which is the simplicity. :wink:

OfflineCode
addict
    #91667 - 01/17/00 10:31 AM (24 years, 3 months ago)

I like this tek.

Some more questions:

How wet is the compost when you put it in the pots?

In general, how long does a pot last before its too overrun to use?

Can you estimate your dry yeild from a pot? I know thats difficult if you haven't been measuring it, mostly I'm curious if you are getting yeilds better than from the original cakes.

Have you considered allowing the pot to colonize, then cutting the bottom part containing the old cake off? If your hypothisis about the mold spreading from the old cake is correct, this might allow you to get more flushs from the same cake.

However, given that prior experimentation has show potency to drop off after about the 5th flush, this may not be benificial. On the other hand, I believe that data was based on rice cakes, and may not hold for the presumably richer compost substraight. Anyone have data on long yeilding, compost based substraights?

OfflineBenzl
enthusiast
    #91669 - 01/17/00 07:42 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, the clay pots are kinda pretty but I allways found that they breathed too much water to keep moist enough - the best bet is the washing up bowls you should be able to find at the Kwik-e-mart for about a buck apiece.

Offlineoldmaverick
enthusiast
    #91670 - 01/17/00 09:18 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

Clay Pot Tek !
This is something that I'm gonna try !!
Peace,

------------------
Maverick shroomed@rediffmail.com
=====================
"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us...
very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract