Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleblahblahblah
Mad Scientist

Loc: South America
Home depo Steer compost
    #990841 - 10/24/02 10:09 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I know this question has been post a thousand+ time cause I have done a search but none of the posts have anwsered my question. I know that there are some composted manures that you can buy at home improvement stores that work, namely Scotts 3in1 and Northwood Orgaic compost. My question is are there any others? None of the places near my house stock these. I need something different. I went today and I saw 1 kind at Lowes and 2 at the Home Depo. I fogot the names  :crazy: but I picked up one bag and it is called ekogrow or something like that. There is another that is made by miracle gro but I cant remember the name of it. And the one that is at Lowes is a comost and steer manure.

Anyway  I think that all of them are composted steer manure and compost. One of them still smells like shit. This is a good sign isnt it, because it means that it hasnt been composted too much?
My main question is does anyone know any good brands that work that you can buy at Lowes or The Home Depo? (other than scotts 3in1 or the northwood organic)
Thanks 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Home depo Steer compost [Re: blahblahblah]
    #991156 - 10/24/02 11:41 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Thatr stuff is not good shitzzzzzzz.

It is about 50% wood byproduct, the dung was not composted properly, it was left to "rot" & never turned.

Moreover, because it is heavy, no 2 areas have the same stuff. Because, it cannot be shipped long distance, without making the freight cost more than the product. Not a commercial deal. duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Get some aged dung from any source you can, rather than $1.98 bagged shit. It is not even worth that.

6T.  :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Anonymous

Re: Home depo Steer compost [Re: SixTango]
    #991170 - 10/24/02 11:44 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I got this stuff at Home Depot called Mushrooms Compost that works great with Roadkill's horsepoo tek. It hasn't been used for mushroom growth, so it still has all the nutrients

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Home depo Steer compost [Re: Anonymous]
    #991242 - 10/25/02 12:06 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

LOL, I don't mean to dispute what you say. BUT, any Home Depot product that is called mushroom compost, has in fact been used to grow mushrooms on & is depleted of many nutes.

Because no Home Depot sells "fresh & unused" mushroom compost. Read the label again. If it is misleading, contact the distributor of it. Their name is on the package.

Fresh - unused  "mushroom compost" is to hot  & nutrient rich  to use as indoor or outdoor potting soil. It would "toast" most seedlings & or vegatable starts.

Used mushroom compost is not to "hot" to use as garden or potting soil because it has been depleted of a large % of many nutes.

6T  :tongue:

6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Anonymous

#991252 - 10/25/02 12:09 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

No, it says quite clearly that nothing has been grown in it. Most chemical fertilizers are also "too hot" to grow anything in, if that is all you use. Mix the compost with plain ol' dirt and you'll be just fine.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Home depo Steer compost [Re: Anonymous]
    #991317 - 10/25/02 12:26 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Commercial mushroom producers make mushroom compost, then sell it (after using it - first) to distributors, who repackage it & sell it to Home Depot.

Common sense mandates the producer would use it for the purpose it was made, then sell it, after they used it, for profit.

Like apple growers would not sell the tree, only the apple. If tyhey sold the tree, they could not sell an apple, as they would have nothing to grow it on.

Who is the distributor & what is the name brand & state where this "unused mushroom compost" is sold? We will see what Home Depot corp head office has to say about it.

6T

--------------------

Invisibleblahblahblah
Mad Scientist

Loc: South America
    #991714 - 10/25/02 02:24 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Six tango you need to take tranquilzer or somthing man. I agree with you about the Mushroom compost though. Most of the stuff sold has already been spent. That is what makes it a good compost for plants. When they say nothing has grown on it I think they mean plant wise.
Thanks for the replies though both of you, it is just as I expected.

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #991766 - 10/25/02 02:49 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, as strange as it may seem....there is unused mushroom compost sold in bags at many hardware and department stores *gasp*

Let me give you a moment to catch your breath and/or stop pounding the moniter in a fury  :blush:

The compost is made in Colorado (maybe other companies else where) and the compost is unused mushroom compost, my guess would be for agaricus sp, but I can't be for certain.  It is distributed by a 'soil/compost' distributer called Perma-Green (I think this is the proper name, but it is late and my brain does not work.  I will check the bag tomorrow) they also distribute straight composted manure and other garden soil products.  It does work well, however it yeilds best results outdoors IMHO.

Oh, and buy the way, I can buy apple trees from apple growers if the urge ever hits me.  When you have an orchard filled with as many apple trees as it can support, there is no point in planting more, but it does make sense to make a profit selling saplings to interested buyers. :grin:

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

OfflineFreezingPenguin

Loc: Karl Densons Tiny Univers...
Re: Home depo Steer compost [Re: blahblahblah]
    #993638 - 10/25/02 10:28 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

i can across this shit at King Soopers called "Blue Ribbon organic compost" upon inspection it looked very rich, much more so than any of the other woody shit they sell. IT still has wood in it, to bulk it up prob, but it still looks good.

The mycelim took to it very nicely, and (the trays that worked) upon caseing was soon to pin

the only problem i had with it was it is sooo heavy, that the myceilm couldn't really move through all the trays quick enough to beat the contaim. Next time i'll make sure to mix in straw 50/50 to lighten up the mix.

so from that it looks like good stuff, however, my first time useing coir, i assumed it has a neutral PH, and didn't leech or buffer it. After the first flush it got hit with the green stuff. SO i'm not sure how good of a producer it is......but judgeing from the myceliums response to it, it and the pinset, its very good stuff

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Re: Home depo Steer compost [Re: jonnyshaggs420]
    #994935 - 10/26/02 05:08 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I agree.

Trouble is a lot of BS sellers use deceptive adverts. Selling "used" mushroom compost ~~ as "unused". The old raccoon was just trying to save some peeps from wasting their time.

If you can get "unused" mushroom compost, in bags @ a good price. More power to you.

But, it will not be available to everyone, nationwide. As the cost of "frieght" would prohibit it being shipped long distances & then sold ~~retail~~ at reasonable prices the average (non/mush/cult) consumer would pay.

6T  :tongue:

--------------------

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #998464 - 10/27/02 11:54 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Aaah.....I got where your coming from now.  :cool:

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
Re: Home depo Steer compost [Re: jonnyshaggs420]
    #999037 - 10/28/02 04:00 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Whats a good tek on making your own unused compost? What are some prime ingredients

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Offlinefungulus

Re: Home depo Steer compost [Re: Cow Shit Collector]
    #1981877 - 10/05/03 07:18 PM (14 years, 17 days ago)

I'm going to use High Mountain Compost for the first time. The jars are almost ready. It looks good and from what I've seen here it grows good! It is expensive, but I live in an apartment and don't want to complicate things and can't very well make a compost pile on my deck (well maybe, but that's another post!). It's worth it to me to pay 3.50 US per pound to know I have quality and to save some work.
I can't wait till I can make me own though.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology