Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesutec
addict
Re: Alternatives to Jar lids
    #91620 - 01/11/00 10:36 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

My favorite alternative to jar lids are filter discs. These allow for gas exchange as well as filtering out possible contams. The result is faster colonization and usually more rhizomorphic mycelium growth as the mycelium gets "just the right amount" of CO2/O2 concentrations.

Buying them can be expensive (a buck a piece), but if you buy them 100 at a time, they're about 50 cents a piece. Well worth the 50 cents IMHO.

--------------------
Decriminalize:
NORML
DRCNet
MPP
ACLU Website

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHoly Mushroom
Loc: Sweden
Re: Alternatives to Jar lids [Re: sutec]
    #91621 - 01/12/00 09:38 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Well, kake, you've been playing around with the idea...I HAVE PUT THE IDEA INTO ACTION!! :biggrin:

I used tin foil over a regular glass that you drink out of!!

The glass have colonized MUCH MORE during the last days!

Take care!

[HoLY]

Offlinesutec
addict
    #91624 - 01/12/00 12:18 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Oh BTW, if anyone wants to send me anything (prints, filter discs, supplies), I'm always willing to lighten the clutter in your place :smile:

--------------------
Decriminalize:
NORML
DRCNet
MPP
ACLU Website

Anonymous

#91625 - 01/12/00 06:12 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

have any identifer for your disks? my substrate alaways gets too dry if I colonize at 85+ F. I've never seen it colonize faster than a lid with a hole in the middle plugged with a cotton ball. Maybe because the substrate is getting too dry. That's why I ask, since I don't like to fuck with lids either, rust etc.
thanks,
-Capt'n

InvisibleOdin 13
Excitable Boy

#91626 - 01/13/00 04:41 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Here's what I've come up with, I took some metal lids, and drilled a 1/2" hole in the center(it was much easier with the lid mated to a jar). I took some 13 mm plastic sample tubes(disposable test tubes) and whacked off the bottoms. I then inserted the tubes into the holes and siliconed them on both the tops and undersides of the lids so that the tube was halfway down into the jar. I thought of this after my last batch of jars, so at this point they go unproven, but I theorize that they will serve these functions:
1. Aid in faster permeation of the media due to the fact that the spores will be introduced into the center of the jars.
2. Make inoculation simple as hell.
3. After inoculation, stuff a cotton ball in the test tube to plug it. This will give you a plug that can allow for air exchange.
4. Should cut down on contams introduced during inoculation and subsequent growth phase, the air will be filtered by the cotton.
The primo thing would be to use the plastic lids when these are made, they would then be reuseable. The problem being that the lids are scarce in my area. I saw them at The Cultivation Station prior to posting this tho! Tell him I sent you if you go this route! To make things simpler, I plan to use one of the tubes in the substrate while filling the jar. I'll pull it out when the jar is full and bingo, you have the hole premade to insert the tube into! I also thought of plugging the test tube with those disposable ear plugs that are little foam plugs to close everything off during sterilization(you would remove them after inoculation, I don't think they breathe very well).

InvisibleOdin 13
Excitable Boy

#91627 - 01/13/00 04:45 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I hereby claim credit for this idea, if you use it, just remember, it's Odin's Inside Out jar lid! Gimme credit folks!

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #91628 - 01/13/00 08:20 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Hi Everyone!
I might have read this somewhere but I'm not too sure...

Has anyone ever cut HEPA filers into disks?

If so, I'd assume they'd be cheaper to use. I know that good HEPA filters measures down to .03 microns.

Any ideas?

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Anonymous

#91629 - 01/17/00 01:24 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Greetings & Salutations!
I've used those plastic Ziplock and Glad brand "Tupperware" type bowls! The blue lids stay on air-tight and the part where they imprint their logo can easily be punctured my a spore syringe needle! I feel like writing them about what I use them for! I can see the commercial: "Try Ziplock brand containers! Remember: They'll keep your mycellium motoring!!!"

------------------
"Who is John Galt?"

OfflineMunkyKing
journeyman

Loc: Florida
    #91631 - 01/24/00 11:58 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

i too used regular drinking glasses, with a layer of vermiculite on top and covered with foil. I have since taken off the foil, deciding to put what I've read to the test. No contamination yet, but the jury is still out.

------------------
I always thought that "Stop, Drop, and Roll" was a way to save your life if you caught on fire, but then I realized my grade school teachers were advocating my later drug use.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures