Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBamJam
Let it be
Loc: Canada
New to forum, new to cultivation - A few questions
    #899981 - 09/22/02 06:49 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Hey everyone. I look forward to meeting and talking with you all on here soon. I'm new, as you probably have established...to this forum AND cultivation. I have a couple of questions and concerns I just want to get out of the way. Be nice and help me out a bit, will ya? :smile: *smile*

Well, I just started my kit. I decided to start with a kit before I just independently buy all of the required materials and do it 'myself'.

It's 65 degrees in my basement all the time...I need it higher but I don't know how. Should I built some kind of artificial environment for the mushrooms? How do I go about doing this?

I bought a heating pad but, even with considerable insulation, it just ended up overheating my mycelium to *gasp* like 110 degrees for a few hours...could this have killed my spores?

I'm using hay as a substrate. I inoculated it 4 days ago and now there's, like a sort of fuzz growing in it. Is this the mycelium taking over the hay or is that an indication of an excess of humidity (when it overheated, humidity reached 100% inside the kit). I'm really concerned for my kit's well-being. Will I be needing to go out and buy a new one? I'm hoping the fuzz is a good indication of the kit's progress/ability to withstand my dumb mistakes.

It's my first time and your first time is all about learning, right? I know I probably messed up, but it's best not to worry about it, I think. Worst case: I buy another one.

Thanks to anyone kind enough to reply to this thread. I appreciate the time you took to help me out.

So long. 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineignuF
Monster Mycologist

Loc: Wonderland
Re: New to forum, new to cultivation - A few questions [Re: BamJam]
    #900119 - 09/22/02 07:47 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

1st of all don't waste your time with the kits.  Everything will will ever need is cheep and easy to find.  You will spend too much money with kits and most newbies fail with these.  ( I did ) :laugh:  The wite stuff you mentioned,  is it thick and very white or thin and wispy like a cobweb? (kinda grey or offwhite)  If it looks like a cobweb it probably is cobweb mold.  Did you say you were using hay?  Did that come in your kit?  Wheat straw works better.  Hay is too variable you never know exactly what is in it.  It most of the time is easy to contaminate and is often too rich in nutrients.  For beginners I would recomend either rice cakes or grain casing.  For info on cake methods go here>  PF  Check out some of the teks there.  I recomend the Double End Casing Tek for cake methods.  And for your grain casing you can use rye berries or if you can't find that or don't want to order from the internet you can go to wal-mart and get Penningtons finch seed.  This works great.  Go here for instructions Grain Casigs  For any other info on teks and reservoirs and such look  HERE  Hope this helps you get started.  Good luck to you.

Peace :laugh: ignuF

--------------------
All the above information is for microscopic research only! 

Life is short so make a dent in the world so people can tell you were here!

Edited by ignuF (09/22/02 07:48 PM)

OfflineBamJam
Let it be
Loc: Canada
Re: New to forum, new to cultivation - A few questions [Re: ignuF]
    #900152 - 09/22/02 08:04 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

You said it's cobweb mold if it's sort of greyish and misty. Well...it is...
What steps do you suppose I should take to get rid of this? (if it's bad...which I'm guessing is)
Is my kit spent?

OfflineignuF
Monster Mycologist

Loc: Wonderland
Re: New to forum, new to cultivation - A few questions [Re: BamJam]
    #900201 - 09/22/02 08:23 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide)  Put it in a spray bottle and mist all infected areas.  This does not always work but if you catch it early enough it will.  Check back every 6-12hrs and mist agian.  This will not hurt the mycilium but it will slow it down momentaraly. (just don't drown the culture with this, use just enough you should see a bubbling reaction, you might not though)  I hope you use latex gloves anytime you work around your culture.  Cantams live on your skin and even antibactirial soap only kills 99.9% of them which means out of the millions that are on your skin 100's are still left.  Also good practice to wear a dust mask, I even rinse my mouth with mouthwash before puting my mask on.  :laugh:  You can never be too sterile.

--------------------
All the above information is for microscopic research only! 

Life is short so make a dent in the world so people can tell you were here!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags