Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineledfethered
Student ofShroomery
Loc: Mid Atlantic, U.S.
Re-post "maybe these pics can be useful"
    #893259 - 09/19/02 12:03 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

This is a re-post so people don?t have to read along while I learned how to post pictures on my original post.

Sorry about the confusion. Any feedback is much appreciated.

>>>>>>>Hey all, I?m brand new in here and I realize I?ll be years before I have a grip on identifying Mushrooms but it?s an intriguing thing to me. I have read a lot of stuff here and have much more to read. As we know, time if of the essence with picking mushrooms and I got excited a few days ago when I found these things growing in my backyard. I think they are possibly poisonous or at least one of those "look alikes" to some more "special" mushrooms.

These pictures are taken in Virginia. We have fertile ground for mushrooms I guess because we get tons of them. My goal is to learn and understand what we have come up from the ground here, I would love to harvest and eat some of the huge white ones we get here (when I can identify them) (More pics of these to come) or any other good ones for food, I would be very happy to find some with hallucinogenic value, and I would also like to identify any harmful ones and learn about any history (such as American Indian) that goes along with them. Also, if they are harmful to lawns, I may want to eliminate any unwanted varieties.

I plan to buy some books etc as well.

The pictures attached are mostly of the look alike ones that look similar to ones I?ve seen on here that are good. They were found growing in mulch under trees and one (obviously bigger) was in mulch not under any trees. The spore prints are a little different but they look like a similar strain.

Also attached are a couple shots of a beautiful bright reddish variety that we get here every year. Looks dangerous! Also one pic of some of the white ones we get here. I?ll get some better shots of the white ones when they come back. We get some white ones here up to a foot in diameter. These ones in this picture are not really representative of the big ones that look so tasty.

I found no coherent group of pics that show all angles of different varieties and spore prints, nor a good side-by-side comparison of good Mushrooms and their look-alikes. Is there an organized group of pics here or online otherwise that groups varieties and all of the stuff we are asked to provide when posting here like; multiple angle shots, gills, veil, gill and margin specifics as well as stem characteristics and spore prints?

Maybe these pics will prove helpful to someone.

Peace,

Led

--------------------
Only man's arrogance could deem a mushroom illegal.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK
Re: Re-post "maybe these pics can be useful" [Re: ledfethered]
    #893272 - 09/19/02 12:07 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

first ones look very psilcybeish

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

Offlineledfethered
Student ofShroomery
Re: Re-post "maybe these pics can be useful" [Re: Dobie]
    #893289 - 09/19/02 12:12 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

That's what I was thinking but the white gills and white/light colored spore print doesn?t jive with what I've read. I thought whit gills were a warning sign and typically white gills mean poisonous. I've only been looking into this for a little bit so I'm surely no expert. I sure wasn?t going to eat them!

By the way, thanks for your help getting my head straight on the picture posting dealio.

Peace

--------------------

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK
    #893298 - 09/19/02 12:17 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yea im no expert either but if they had a white spore print and lite print then definalty not a psilocybe

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

OfflineErbaliza
Believer
Loc: UK...London(ish)
Re: Re-post "maybe these pics can be useful" [Re: Dobie]
    #893511 - 09/19/02 02:01 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Nice pictures...Cant help with the id though :crazy:  Peace 

OfflineKoOs
BlingBling!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Glendive MT
    #893540 - 09/19/02 02:21 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

pics 5 and 6 look really cool!

--------------------

Offlineledfethered
Student ofShroomery
Re: Re-post "maybe these pics can be useful" [Re: KoOs]
    #893851 - 09/19/02 04:55 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Interesting note: The smaller ones dried to an oddly shaped nugget on the cap and the stems dried in a tight spiral. They had been separated for the spore print.

Wish I could get some love on what mushrooms I've pictured here. The red ones are really cool looking.

I'll post pics of the dried specimens. Don?t worry; I have no intention of eating any of it!

Peace

--------------------

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
    #894008 - 09/19/02 06:16 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Roughly how many species do you think you have in these pictures? Is #2 the same species as #1, but a little be more mature and dried out?

My guess for the brown ones with white gills is Collybia or maybe Conocybe.
No clue on the orange.
The last ones... hrm.. The scaly cap makes me think Lepoita, but its hard to tell. They could also be Agaricus or Amanita.

None of them are worth the risk of eating without a 100% positive ID on all of them. The only ones I see with edible(not active) potential are the last ones.

I'm 99.5% sure that none of them are active =\... Keep on huntin, dude.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #894188 - 09/19/02 07:32 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Nice photos, but you shoudl group them with the same mushroms together so it's more clear which is which.

First, photos 1, 3, 5, and 6, and the spore print on the lower right all appear to be the same mushrooms (if not, let me know). They look similar to Xerula furfuracea. I note that in photos 3 and 5 the bases of the stems were cut off. For many mushrooms (including these) the bases of the stems are very important and a positive ID cannot be made without them. X. furfuracea has a long stem which extends into the ground a couple inches like a taproot. Note also that there are Amanitas which somewhat resemble these, and by cutting off the stem we don't know if there was a volva there or not to be sure.

Second, photos 2, 4, and the spore print on the left all appear to be the same mushroom. And I'm finding it difficult to ID. I'm going to guess Melanoleuca cognata, but that's very much a guess.

The third mushroom, in photos 8 and 9 is interesting. Photo 8 appears to show some white warts, remains of universal veil on the cap. Overall that mushroom strongly suggests Amanita to me, and I will guess Amanita caesarea. In order to get an accurate ID on an Amanita we need to see the enitre base of the mushroom, including the volva. I will note that A. caesarea normally has a ring on the stem and this specimen appears not to.

The group of whitish mushrooms in the last photo look like Lepiotas to me. To verify you will need to get a spore print. I can't tell how large they are, but they don't look large. Some of the small species of Lepiota are deadly poisonous.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

#894397 - 09/19/02 09:13 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Offlineledfethered
Student ofShroomery
Re: Re-post "maybe these pics can be useful" [Re: ]
    #894918 - 09/20/02 05:24 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the feedback everybody,

I initially thought the specimens in the first batch of pictures (the tan or brownish looking ones) were perhaps the same species, but the spore prints are noticeably different. As a novice I have no idea if the same species can provide varying shades of spores dependant on size and perhaps location it was found.

Thanks for instructing me on things I need to know. I did mistakenly mis-group the first of the pictures. The picture posting deal seemed archaic at first to me so I was a little shaky at first. I meant to group them better but dealing with the text descriptions and the copy and paste thing I got a few mixed up there, I?ll do better next time :smile: . Also, where can I find pictures nice and grouped together by species showing all the angles of specimens and a spore print. We are asked to provide this organized and complete form of submission, so it would stand to reason that there is a collection somewhere for reference.

The white specimens shown are actually quite large. Those bulb shapes are probably 6 to 8? tall and the bulbs are an inch or 2 in diameter. They open up to a fairly large cap ranging from 3? diameter to 6 and 8? diameter.

I?ll be sure to take the specimens with root and all next time also, thanks for the info there, makes sense! Also I?ll start using some sort of reference in the pictures for size, perhaps a small scale or other object. I see how size reference can be hard, especially outside. On the 8 1/2x 11 bright white paper you can get some reference though. Should I be using black and white paper or aluminum foil for spore prints? I?ve read; white, white/black and foil. Any consensus on this?

Now that I have some names (Greek to me at this point) that may potentially identify these fruits I?ll have to start the educational research. I have no idea yet what any of those names mean such as if they are; poisonous, semi poisonous, edible (except for the one comment I got on the white ones)? I?ll look into it!

I have a veritable fungi habitat here so I?ll be back with more to ponder!

Also, what are the best books for me? I?m in Virginia so I don?t think I need to have a great deal of reference on the northwest. Are there any concise publications you are aware of that focus on a region like say; the Mid Atlantic? Or can this info even be narrowed down like that?

Thanks again!

Peace

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #894993 - 09/20/02 06:20 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Mr_Mushrooms - I assume you mean how did I know about Melanoleuca? Linnea Gillman was specializing in them when she got her masters degree in mycology (You probably remember her, a really nice lady). She gave me some tips on recognizing Melanoleucas (big first one - look for extremely crowded gills).

ledfethered - to see if a mushroom can have a range of spore print colors, check the book. If it says the spore print is white, then it better be white, but if it says white to pale tan then you can expect a range of colors. The spore prints from one collection are usually pretty similar, but different collections are usually where you see the variation.

There isn't anything remotely official about the way a post should be organized. I made the suggestion because I was having to guess that these photos were this and those photos were that. I guess the best advice I would give is to make heavy use of the preview functionality - then you know exactly what your post will look like. As far as the comment about what views should be uploaded, that is a good idea, and I'll try to pass word on so that ends up in the next version of what to tell/show us.

For showing scale there are lots of ways, and you need to find one you like. Some people put common objects (coins, rulers) into their photos. Personally, I dislike that in my photos so I add a comment that the caps are such-and-such big.

Many of the large Lepiotas are excellent edibles. To identify we need to know about bruising reactions in the cap and inside the stem.

When collecting, it is important to collect the entire specimen. Avoid destroying the habitat to do it, but dig a little if you need to to get it all. With some mushrooms (especially the clustered ones on wood) the entire specimen can be very large. I have seen specimens of Pleurotus pulmonarius (Oyster mushrooms) which wouldn't fit in many cars.

According to Alexander H. Smith (possibly the greatest mycologist of this hemisphere), only white paper should be used for judging the color of a spore print. He also says that it is OK to use colored/black paper to be sure that spores have fallen.

There are 3 books that I would recommend right away:

Mushrooms Demystified by David Arora does tend to have a west coast slant, but it is such a good book that almost every professional mycologist I know uses it a lot.

Mushrooms of Northeastern North America by Alan E Bessette, Arleen R Bessette, and David W Fischer is a more recent book and would be a valuable addition to your library. It is written for the area from North Carolina and Tennessee northward to Hudson's Bay and will probably cover your area nicely.

Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America by David W Fischer and Alan E Bessette is probably the best book a beginner could get who wants to learn to hunt for edibles. It's not terribly useful as a general identification guide, but its focus is on edibles and it has some good recipes in the back for wild mushrooms.

I will look forward to your next post. Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

Re: Re-post "maybe these pics can be useful" [Re: ToxicMan]
    #895378 - 09/20/02 09:58 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Offlineledfethered
Student ofShroomery
Re: Re-post "maybe these pics can be useful" [Re: ]
    #897642 - 09/21/02 04:39 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Toxicman,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply and your patience with a newbie. I fully intend to purchase some books and read more on this site as well as others. I find this very fascinating. Although I know there are a lot of things I need to learn and present better for help, it?s fun to post photos and get feedback. Folks like you who enjoy this field so much and don?t mind what may seem redundant chat, are what keeps people like me interested. The more the merrier I?m sure.

Props to you! I need to learn how to give some sticky or something to kind people like you on this site!

Your feedback on scale is great. A foreign object in the picture ruins the natural surroundings in the picture. Perhaps I?ll only employ an object for scale once a mushroom has been picked and I?m manipulating it for photographs.

Regarding the large Lepiotas, should I cut down the center of one to see the bruising reaction? What?s the best method for this? Once I have identified a ?good? mushroom, is it safe to assume (bad word) any others growing in the same area (i.e.: an area of my property) that look the same to the eye are safe as well?

I?m running out of season here, so I?m asking a lot because I wont have the ability to learn all of this by reading before the season?s gone.

Some new notes: The tops of the ones that you think could be Xerula furfuracea, appear to be being eaten off at the top of the stem by something. The stems still stand, kinda frayed and chewed on looking; and some caps are gone, some are partially eaten (I think) and others are just lying around starting to grow mycelium already. I?ll get some pics of this, as well as the dried product and a freshly pulled one with root and all.

Also, attached are some pics I didn?t get on last time. These are just for interest and any rough idea of species you may have just from seeing them in their habitat. Since learning about some of this stuff, I now see mycelium growing all over my property. I always wondered what that stuff was. We suspected fungus but I had very little knowledge of how mushrooms were formed. I think I?m being invaded now!

These look really cool to me. These are about 4-6" high and 1-1/2" -2-1/2" around.

These are also all over the place. They range from 2" to 8" caps and 4 to 8" high.

Apparently something is eating on these ones too

These were actually photgraphed last year. They were growing on our forest hiking trail. The look freaky, huh? I?d say they were 1/2 to 1" dia caps.

I?ll be back with more detail on specimens of interest.

Thanks and,

Peace

--------------------

Offlineledfethered
Student ofShroomery
Heres the wrap up on the first ones [Re: ledfethered]
    #898039 - 09/21/02 08:06 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Here is a pic of the fully dug-up specimen.

Got more showing the damage and possible animal eating but too late to re-size them. Dinner time! Wish i had some fresh mushrooms!

Peace

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #898075 - 09/21/02 08:20 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you.

When checking any mushroom for bruising it is good to cut the entire mushroom in half vertically, unless it is too small and fragile to do that. Then use the knife edge to scrape some of the tissue to bruise it. Some mushrooms have bruising reactions that can take an hour or more, so watch right away, in a few minutes, and then check once in awhile - some mushrooms will change through multiple color changes (read about the Leccinums).

You should not assume that similar mushrooms in the same area are the same species. There are several combinations of species which occur occasionally which have resulted in poisonings. Two which come to mind immediately are Marasmius oreades/Clitocybe dealbata and Psilocybe cyanescens/Galerina marginata. If you are intending to eat the mushrooms you should evaluate each one individually - that doesn't take as long as it sounds.

Deer and squirrels (among others) eat a lot of mushrooms, so you will often find stems without caps and similar things. Incidentally, don't assume that because an animal has eaten some of a mushroom that it will be edible for you, too. Dr. States told me that they would evaluate the toxicity of unknown Amanitas sometimes by finding stoned squirrels in the forest then identifying the nearby partially eaten Amanitas.

The mushroom in the first two photos could be an Amanita or a Lepiota. You need to verify the existence (or lack) of a volva or universal veil. The easiest way would be to find several specimens of different ages. You can also cut the mushroom in half vertically to check for these structures.

The mushrooms in the next three photos could be a lot of things. We need to see the underside of the cap (to see the gills and ring, if any), and we need to see the base of the stem. Make sure you dig up the base, if necessary, to get the entire thing. There is something about these that suggests Amanita to me, and the all-white Amanitas are deadly, so don't even think about eating these. We're talking about liver damage and all that sort of thing here.

The last mushrooms resemble Hygrophorus cantharellus or Hygrophorus coccineus from the overhead angle, but we need to see the underside to ID them accurately. There are a lot of species of bright, red Hygrophorus.

Nice photos again.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification