Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Amanita Muscaria var Formosa Identification Request
    #8925192 -

Habitat:
Beneath Pine Trees; Maryland

Gills:
White, Free (not attached), Definite gills.

Stem:
Longest: 7.5 in, Shortest: 3 in; Diameter- Longest: 1 in-1.5 in, Shortest: approx. .5 in; white; sticky, fibrous, cotton-like parts; solid, thick.

Cap:
Diameter- Largest: approx. 9 in, Smallest: approx. 1 in; Darker, vibrant orange in center fading outward; sticky when wet, firm w/ warts; youngest bulbous, with age flatten out (see pictures provided)

Spore print color:
White

Bruising:
No noticeable bruising

Photos:
1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

Edited by Pauvro (09/13/08 08:54 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita Muscaria var Formosa Identification Request [Re: Pauvro]
    #8925447 -

It may be, we need to see detailed photos of the base of the stem. Here is a good article:
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/amanita_muscaria_formosa.html


--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita Muscaria var Formosa Identification Request [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #8925609 -

I just posted some new, more detailed pictures that include the stem as well as the habitat in which they were discovered. Any input is appreciated! Thank you!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita Muscaria var Formosa Identification Request [Re: Pauvro]
    #8925614 -

Yessuh, :thumbup:

Beautiful specimens!
Still, if I were you, I'd read that article :wink:


--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita Muscaria var Formosa Identification Request [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #8925640 -

Thank you very much, Louise! We read the article and believe wholeheartedly that you are correct. :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita Muscaria var Formosa Identification Request [Re: Pauvro]
    #8925673 -

Nice finds. var Formosa is possibly the most beautiful mushroom in premature stages

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita Muscaria var Formosa Identification Request [Re: slipCAST]
    #8925686 -

Any suggestions on how to consume these? They're being dehydrated currently, and I am curious as to whether I should remove the gills, grind them up, heat them, etc. Thanks again, guys!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita Muscaria var Formosa Identification Request [Re: Pauvro]
    #8925709 -

6. Wow that cap is bigger than that guys head!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita Muscaria var Formosa Identification Request [Re: MisterMuscaria]
    #8925810 -

AND HIS HAND IS BIGGER THAN THE GUY!!!

GAHHHH A GIANT ON FLY AGARIC MUSHROOMS! NOOOOOO!!!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita Muscaria var Formosa Identification Request [Re: Beege]
    #8925847 -

Look out for the freaky staring doll behind you. Its after you amanitas

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita Muscaria var Formosa Identification Request [Re: Pauvro]
    #8925973 -

Quote:
Any suggestions on how to consume these? They're being dehydrated currently, and I am curious as to whether I should remove the gills, grind them up, heat them, etc. Thanks again, guys!




Dry them cracker dry and start with a low dose, maybe one mushroom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita Muscaria var Formosa Identification Request [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8925989 -

That I will do. I'm thinking maybe 6 grams to start? Is any nausea curbed by drying them? I'm sorry to ask so many questions; but I understand these mushrooms have a highly respectable potency.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita Muscaria var Formosa Identification Request [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8925991 -

I always heard there should be heat involved with fly agarics.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita Muscaria var Formosa Identification Request [Re: Pauvro]
    #8926010 -

Quote:
That I will do. I'm thinking maybe 6 grams to start? Is any nausea curbed by drying them? I'm sorry to ask so many questions; but I understand these mushrooms have a highly respectable potency.



I would start with half that because its hard to say how strong this variety is.

But I have never eaten them dried so I have no idea, 6 is probably ok.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita Muscaria var Formosa Identification Request [Re: Beege]
    #8926030 -

Beege said:
I always heard there should be heat involved with fly agarics.



I get nauseous when I eat them raw (dried), cooking always helps for me. :thumbup:


--------------------
And a rovin' a rovin' a rovin' I'll go....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita Muscaria var Formosa Identification Request [Re: AbominablGrowman]
    #8926056 -

Do you cook them after they are dried?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita Muscaria var Formosa Identification Request [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8926071 -

Alan Rockefeller said:
Do you cook them after they are dried?



Yea, usually grind them up and boil w/ some ramen noodles.


--------------------
And a rovin' a rovin' a rovin' I'll go....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita Muscaria var Formosa Identification Request [Re: Pauvro]
    #8926106 -

nice clean specimens you got there...
take more field shots next time, we like in field p0rn action :awesome:


--------------------
View My Gallery

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita Muscaria var Formosa Identification Request [Re: Pauvro]
    #8926135 -

Woah!  Gaia would be proud!

Nice haul.  According world renowned Amanita specialist, Rod Tulloss:

Quote:
Amanita muscaria var. guessowii is the common, bright yellow and/or yellow and orange fly agaric of eastern North America. The European name A. muscaria var. formosa Pers. has been mistakenly applied to this taxon. 




--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Amanita Muscaria var Formosa Identification Request [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8926648 -

Thanks for the correction senor, I like to make sure I'm calling things by their proper name.

We've got two different dehydrators setup currently to get these suckers dried. We're going mushroom hunting a whole heck of a lot tomorrow, and with the abundance of mushrooms we found today still fresh in my mind, I'm sure we'll find tons tomorrow.  Will be sure to get a lot of pictures and post all about it!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Amanita Muscaria var. formosa, versus Amanita Frostiana Darcho 8,318 8 07/28/04 11:53 AM
by thearmedforces
* Amanita muscaria var. formosa mr_minds_eye 2,627 8 08/01/03 11:42 AM
by canid
* Ohio Amanita Muscaria var. formosa? ohioscott 5,342 6 09/24/04 01:20 PM
by ohioscott
* Amanita muscaria var. formosa, WOW!
( 1 2 3 all )
EffedS 9,952 46 09/25/17 07:43 AM
by Spivkurl
* Amanita muscaria var. formosa EffedS 3,324 13 06/16/03 10:30 PM
by MagmaManiac
* "Air-dried" Amanita Muscaria var. formosa? BobHumboldt 1,064 1 09/24/05 11:51 AM
by SweetLeaf
* Amanita Muscaria var. Formosa ohioscott 1,338 4 09/28/04 11:35 AM
by ohioscott
* Amanita muscaria var. formosa PlasticFantastic 1,063 2 07/26/05 09:39 AM
by eris

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
5,069 topic views. 2 members, 13 guests and 30 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.