Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Sleep Deprivation; DMT release? * 1
    #2347520 - 02/17/04 08:25 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

"Since these same Psychoactive tryptamines occur in humans, it is possible that their activity may be promoted by the actions of endogenous beta-carbolines for normal psychological processes; e.g. the production of visual / emotive imagery in sleep. The periodic altering of consciousness in sleep may even be necessary for the maintenance of normal mental health, since only a few days of sleep deprivation will result in a seepage of hallucinatory phenomena into the waking state."

--Tryptamines, Beta-carbolines and You. Dr J.C. Callaway, Dept. of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Kuopio, Finland

Read this and was wondering if this is true? Maybe not enough to "trip", but to have a "wierder" reality? I've never really stayed up for much longer than 24 hours. Could anyone give me more info on this?

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Sleep Deprivation; DMT release? [Re: barfightlard] * 1
    #2347766 - 02/17/04 09:50 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I've stayed up for 80 hours with just a few cups of coffee, and things do seem to start feeling off. This was at a LAN party so I had a lot of things distracting me from the sleep deprivation, but when I would walk past another room I'd think I saw a person in there out of the corner of my eye, then look and they wouldn't be there. You do feel shitty though, it's not really anything worthwhile, maybe for longer than 80 hours it becomes better but I never ventured that far.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #2358284 - 02/20/04 06:54 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Its a simplistic viewpoint that is ultimately trying to connect trytamines to normal human anatomic functions to justify the author's use of DMT etc.
The purpose of the minute amounts of DMT found naturally in our bodies have never been factually explained - and the ludicrious suggestion that it is somehow connected with life, death and dreams flies in the face of most evidence.
The dream state is nothing like trytamine intoxication.

As for the study of sleep being imparitive to mental wellbeing and cognitive function - this has been demonstrated many times in many studies.
Interestingly there are about 35 documented cases of people who have suffered head trauma and lost the ability to sleep. These people seemed to suffer no ill affects from being biochemically unable to fall asleep - one did not sleep for an apparent 61 years.

--------------------

InvisibleKid_Orgo
 User Gallery

Loc: Hale-Bopp
Re: Sleep Deprivation; DMT release? [Re: Zen Peddler] * 1
    #2358583 - 02/20/04 08:52 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The purpose of the minute amounts of DMT found naturally in our bodies have never been factually explained - and the ludicrious suggestion that it is somehow connected with life, death and dreams flies in the face of most evidence.

Seems like a self-contradictory statement, but I get what you're saying. We don't know exactly what they do in the body, but we're pretty sure they aren't connected to dreams or what.

I know the level of DMT metabolites in the blood are not statistically different in schizophrenics than the rest of us, but I haven't seen any studies refuting connection to dreams. Any sources?

As for the actual topic, sleep deprivation hallucinations are a mixed bag. I've been up for long stretches of time on caffeine, amphetamines, and methylphenidate, and i've definitely seen some shit. I was up for 36 hours working intensely on a research paper, and I remember being able to see empty Mt Dew cans on my desk moving if I looked at them right. It's definitely an altered state.

--------------------
He was a cowboy in one of the seven days a week fights. No business, no hangout; no friends, nothing; just what you pick up and what you need.

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
    #2394598 - 03/02/04 10:30 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

I know I stayed up for 3 days and was extreamely fucked up...functioning like a normal human wasn't really happening. To others I probably looked extreamely intoxicated on some crazy hard drug.

Simple things didn't really make sense like how to turn on a TV etc. Kept saying and thinking things that didnt really make sense, you sometimes hear/see things for just abit and anytime I wasn't constantly active moving/thinking I would fall asleep even if I was standing and then suddenly wake up all confused standing there not remebering what happened seconds before...

I think you're too tired to really have fun..also until you hit the tripping point you're constantly dead tired. Also you fall asleep for over a minute you're chance of tripping is over, it will become so hard to wake back up, you'll just really really wanna sleep... The only way to lose the tiredness is to take uppers, and if you do that you'll probably have to stay up even longer to trip and when you do it'll be more of a crazy paranoid insane thing rather than any form of fun :frown:

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Loc: Another World
Re: Sleep Deprivation; DMT release? [Re: Zen Peddler] * 1
    #2394683 - 03/02/04 10:54 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

bluemeanie said:
Interestingly there are about 35 documented cases of people who have suffered head trauma and lost the ability to sleep. These people seemed to suffer no ill affects from being biochemically unable to fall asleep - one did not sleep for an apparent 61 years.

where did you get this information?

--------------------
:shocked: *Divine Moments of Truth* :shocked:

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #2395450 - 03/02/04 02:10 PM (20 years, 30 days ago)

Thanks for the replys.  I tried it one time, but i realized how insansely bored and tired i was around 24 hours.  So, I bitched out and had a nice sleep :smile:  I plan on trying it agian soon, and I will actually really try to stay awake.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #2395931 - 03/02/04 04:03 PM (20 years, 30 days ago)

Ive been up for 80 or so hours unaided by stimulants, and it was uncomfortable and definately trippy. I would get into laughing fits, fall asleep for a few seconds sitting or standing and then wake disassociated and off balance .. blah blah, everyones said it, its not a cool state to be in. If you do it, definately have people to do it with.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Sleep Deprivation; DMT release? [Re: PDU] * 1
    #2396120 - 03/02/04 04:59 PM (20 years, 30 days ago)

I'm a pussy.. saturday night I stayed up until 4am with my gf, woke up the next morning at 10am sick as hell. I'm not going to push it anymore.

The most I ever stayed up was about 48 hours, give or take a few. I must have been in grade 7. No sodas or drugs, just super nintendo. :crazy2:

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

OfflineKroumM

Re: Sleep Deprivation; DMT release? [Re: browndustin] * 1
    #2397196 - 03/03/04 03:08 AM (20 years, 30 days ago)

the longest I've gone w/o any sleep is 48 hours, and that was realy weird... but I noramlly sleep only around 4-4.5 hours a night, so by the end of a week like that, I get about the same effect. When it's late (like now 2:05AM, I can usually hear auditory hallucinations...for me, those are usually someone laughing really loud RIGHT next to my ear, and the moment I turn my attention to the sound, it ceases. sometimes there is like the murmuring of a group of people next to me. On the very tired nights, there are constant auditory hallucinations which are quite distracting, I've even had music playing, not like the music you run through your head... This was last thursday night, I go to bed at around 3, and I'm not asleep or anything evne close, but I keep having autidotyr hallucinations, like I had one every 4 seconds or so, and then I could hear this faint music in the background, all of a sudden a violin, and it was nothing I've heard before, so I start wondering... are the neighbors playing something... but the closest neighbor to my side of the house is across the street, so then I concentrate on teh cound, and then all of a sudden it stops. I wouldn't stay up more than 48 hours by will, but I end up sleepnng very little.... stupid highschool

Offlinecleaner
Stranger

#2974927 - 08/07/04 08:34 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Sleep Deprivation is cool. The best time is the day after you miss a night of sleep. Energy is flowing.

It doesnt matter what chemical sleep deprivation release, the important ting is it makes me feel good. The hardest part is to find something interesting to do while the night lasts, many times ive given up coz i had not to do. Its good when your with friends, computer/interent at hand, comfortable place to sit...

Its another thing when your locked in shower room all night or when you sit on a bench waiting for your morning flight, then, every hour is like eternity, i ve beenthere done that, bummed for month at time. Its good to have freely disposable savings, and a lot of them, when you travel, i can tell you that...

Anyways, sleep deprivation, will be doing that for my next Ayahuasca trip.

OfflineWhiteRabbitt
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2975140 - 08/07/04 11:23 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

My friends and I tried a sleep deprivation experiment one time. We stayed up for along time (don't remember how many days) and filmed it. Didn't hallucinate, but acted pretty fucked up.

--------------------
You gotta jump and swing up to hit me in the knees.

Offlinebillclinton
Creedence in my word
Male

Loc: usa
    #8899627 - 09/08/08 11:51 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

barfightlard said:
"Since these same Psychoactive tryptamines occur in humans, it is possible that their activity may be promoted by the actions of endogenous beta-carbolines for normal psychological processes; e.g. the production of visual / emotive imagery in sleep. The periodic altering of consciousness in sleep may even be necessary for the maintenance of normal mental health, since only a few days of sleep deprivation will result in a seepage of hallucinatory phenomena into the waking state."

--Tryptamines, Beta-carbolines and You. Dr J.C. Callaway, Dept. of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Kuopio, Finland

Read this and was wondering if this is true?  Maybe not enough to "trip", but to have a "wierder" reality?  I've never really stayed up for much longer than 24 hours.  Could anyone give me more info on this?

thats how i found out i am a prophet and did have an experience quite similar to dmt only it lasted 3 days 72 hours exactly.

--------------------
Love is all, Love is you

OfflineMushr00m_Man
ganja lover!!

Loc: The end of the road
Re: Sleep Deprivation; DMT release? [Re: billclinton] * 1
    #8899662 - 09/09/08 12:00 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

ok i am goin on my day 4 of now sleep the speakers are all crazy i kind feel like im trippin but it isnt funand wen the lights go off i see al kinds of stuff

--------------------
SMOKE MARIJUANA

OfflineMushr00m_Man
ganja lover!!

Re: Sleep Deprivation; DMT release? [Re: Mushr00m_Man] * 1
    #8899674 - 09/09/08 12:02 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

and i am hearing voices in the wind and stuff i hate this i want to sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

--------------------
SMOKE MARIJUANA

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#8899689 - 09/09/08 12:05 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Tripping on sleep deprivation is far more similar to the deliriant experience than to any psychedelic such as DMT.  Black bugs start flying in the corner of your eyes, objects start vibrating, and then comes the shadow people.  An altogether typically unpleasant experience, and sleep deprivation is incredibly bad for you (although paradoxically enough it seems to give an antidepressant effect in the shortterm.)

If you want to experience the same and much more powerful hallucinations that you'd get through sleep deprivation, look up Datura or Diphenhydramine.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

OfflineFrost
Inside a locked room
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida Flag
    #8899719 - 09/09/08 12:10 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Mushr00m_Man said:
and i am hearing voices in the wind and stuff i hate this i want to sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

take a nap, man.

--------------------
“I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens.
I've been knocking from the inside.” - Rumi

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” - Carl Sagan

OfflineMushr00m_Man
ganja lover!!

Re: Sleep Deprivation; DMT release? [Re: Frost] * 1
    #8899757 - 09/09/08 12:17 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

i cant man i cant i have fukin insomnia and the fukin pills the jerkoff doc gave me dont do shit im feel like cryin but i dont know why i would cry it just feels like i should cry ahhhhhhhh im so desperate for sleep but i have to go to work in like a few hours hello day 5 fuck i wish there was a special hot line that you could dial and they would come to your door and give you some ganja kinda like in how high and i see crazy shit and people in the corners of my eyes

--------------------
SMOKE MARIJUANA

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#8899769 - 09/09/08 12:19 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Also, I would strongly suggest NOT smoking marijuana if you're experiencing sleep deprivation hallucinations.  This is a sure-fire ticket to some form of psychotic break.  Either give it time with no drugs and let your body's natural desire for sleep catch up to you, or try the natural remedy.  You'll thank yourself later.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

OfflineMushr00m_Man
ganja lover!!

Re: Sleep Deprivation; DMT release? [Re: deCypher] * 1
    #8899813 - 09/09/08 12:24 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

thats the thing with me i dont every feel sleepy thats what sucks i have gon over 15 days befor talk about hell and the hallucination arn't that gnarly. never feel tired i just feel shittier and shittier after each day

--------------------
SMOKE MARIJUANA

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom