Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Loc: you'll shoot yer eye out ...
Re: Newbie grower. Help needed [Re: Snobrdr311]
    #863925 - 09/04/02 03:50 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

well I ground up about five cups of white rice.. looks good. I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow that I didn't check. I have 25lbs of Riceland extra long grain rice from Costco. Lots of good rice!

I was also wondering how many mushrooms usually grow on a PF cake through all the flushings minus the tiny aborts??

Sammy

--------------------

I believe in the Golden Rule ? The Man with the Gold . . . Rules.
- Mr. T

Edited by Sammy (09/04/02 04:21 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMechanicalMan
Stranger

Re: Newbie grower. Help needed [Re: Sammy]
    #864041 - 09/04/02 04:42 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

BTW, the Bob's Red Mill website has a store finder. I think only a very small percentage of retailers are actually listed in it (the store I buy mine at isn't listed), but it still might help you. Some health food stores are pretty lame, so you should look in your yellow pages and try to find stores with potential. You could also call some of them and ask if they carry Bob's Red Mill flours.

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Re: Newbie grower. Help needed [Re: MechanicalMan]
    #864063 - 09/04/02 04:55 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I was on Cannabis Culture and asked a question in the forum that deals w/ other drugs about flours, and got this response:

================================================================
As for flour- if you cannot find the Brown Rice flour, you just aswell can buy whole Brown Rice and grind it in a coffee grinder or the likes. There is no stigma that states you have to have 'absolutely' organic- non organic is just as fine! Brown Rice is supposed to be more nutritious than White- I never have actually heard of White being used in mushroom cultivation, so I can't really comment on that. Brown Rice flour should be available widely at grocery stores (sometimes gormet section) and health food stores.

You actually can substitute other flours- Rye Grain flour being another good one. Brown Rice is supposedly the best, as far as nutritious content which aids in overall vigor to the mycelium growth, more so than others- or so I have read. Many switch and vary the flours used, not just Borwn Rice is used. So you have several options to go with actually.
=================================================================

Can I use Rye Grain?? I know I can get that from the local brewery for about 1.60$ a pound. Do you sugguest this?

I am so sorry for all these dumbass questions, my spores come in a few days, I have to cancel the internet soon and need to get all the info I can before I have to walk my ass all the way to the library a mile away to get any info.

Sammy

--------------------

- Mr. T

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
    #864119 - 09/04/02 05:25 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Try the whole grains section of the FAQ.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Re: Newbie grower. Help needed [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #864144 - 09/04/02 05:40 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks a lot for the help. I read this in that section:

Recipe #1 Whole white rice recipe

QUART jar:
300 ml whole white rice
400 ml water
PINT jar:
150 ml whole white rice
200 ml water

Where does the vermiculite come in the equation??

Sammy

--------------------

- Mr. T

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
    #864150 - 09/04/02 05:45 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

In reply to:

Where does the vermiculite come in the equation??

Obviously there is no need to use vermiculite when using whole grains. If you want to use whole grains in the PF Tek, try grinding it up into a powder and using it as you would rice flour.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Re: Newbie grower. Help needed [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #864165 - 09/04/02 05:55 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

What the hell?? So I just use straight grain and water.. those are the only two ingredients?? I have no idea where to get gypsum but that seems to be an option. What is an exact PF recipe that I should use?? Give me that and I promise to stop asking questions in the thread. Also please indicate if I should powder the grain or rice or not. This is pretty confusing for my pea sized brain. Thanks for any explanation.

Sammy

--------------------

- Mr. T

Edited by Sammy (09/04/02 06:03 PM)

OfflineMechanicalMan
Stranger

#864183 - 09/04/02 06:06 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I recommend the amounts used in PF for Simple Minds.

*edit* Use flour...just follow one of the PF teks. You should be able to find flour where you live if you look hard enough. I found it at the first store I tried. You probably have a decent health food store around that will carry it. If not, it wouldn't be terribly expensive to order.

Edited by MechanicalMan (09/04/02 06:09 PM)

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

#864187 - 09/04/02 06:07 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks, I was just wondering if I could use the grain to subsitute the vermiculite and then use the BRF or White Rice Flour also. I cannot find vermiculite yet.

Sammy

--------------------

- Mr. T

InvisibleShaw

#864196 - 09/04/02 06:12 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

yes, you can just leave the grains whole. I recomend quart jars with myco-supply/FP filter disks. Try this after you get the pf tek done once. And definatly don't use the white rice.

--------------------

OfflineMechanicalMan
Stranger

#864200 - 09/04/02 06:15 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

They will have verm at Lowe's if you have one in your area. I actually don't really know where else to buy it, but I would think possibly stores like Ace and True Value. It can also be ordered, but I would think you should be able to find it somewhere locally.

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

#864211 - 09/04/02 06:19 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

fuck it. I'm all confused .. the whole purpose in using these grains for me would be avoiding the use of vermiculite... .and make it easy to get all the proper things to get the grow going. Can I just use the normal aluminum foil instead of these discs?? I'm just going to go ahead and use white rice and vermiculite. Will this be OKAY?? I give up.. I'm going to research the forum a lot more before I ask these dumb questions and confuse myself further.

Sammy

--------------------

- Mr. T

OfflineMechanicalMan
Stranger

#864223 - 09/04/02 06:27 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Foil is fine. I Iike to put some underneath the outer lid piece (the rim), but do it however you want. I've never tried white rice, but I wouldn't recommend that. If it worked well, people would be using it. Maybe you should go to Advanced Cultivation and search for a thread that tested a bunch of random substrates in the PF tek. That dude said some kind of dog food he tried was working well before he had to scrap the experiment. But the wisest thing to do would be to get some BRF or DRF. Just order it. What is the big deal about ordering flour?

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

#864230 - 09/04/02 06:32 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

where would I order such a product from?? I'm going on a little road trip w/ my sidecar bubbler tomorrow and an 1/8 of MJ looking for some stores that stock that stuff.. mostly in health sections etc. I know I can get all that grain and rye from a brewery a block away but it seems like from what I read BRF and DRF are the best for growing.

Thanks for your help guys,

Sammy

--------------------

- Mr. T

OfflineMechanicalMan
Stranger

#864243 - 09/04/02 06:39 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

You can order everything Bob's Red Mill makes directly from the website, and there are also other sites that sell it. Just do a search, or order it from Bob's. I use Bob's Red Mill DRF for PF.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #864397 - 09/04/02 08:05 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Please go and read the FAQ.
Als read the PF-tek and the PF tek for Simple Minds.

PF-tek and alike utilize 3 ingredients: vermiculite, flour of some kind(preferably BRF) and water.

Whole grains are a different thing ->faq...

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale