Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
cacti from seeds - growth rate of most popular?
    #823530 - 08/17/02 11:48 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

i am going to start growing cacti from seeds and i was wondering if the more experient growers could point us beginners the growth rate of the most popular (entheogenic) cacti around... (trichs, lophos, grafts?) how about a 0-10 grade? or just a ranking? well, any input on the subject is welcome...
btw, i am specially wondering trichocereus spp cristate/monstrose varieties growth rate... thanks already.

Edited by felixhigh (08/17/02 11:49 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Re: cacti from seeds - growth rate of most popular [Re: felixhigh]
    #828815 - 08/19/02 05:36 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

cmon guys where are you pc, lk and everybody else???

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #828827 - 08/19/02 05:40 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I think it was cause your question had very ltitle direction and clear meaning.. i'm going to go take a shit and then i'll be right back and try to throw out an answer.

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Re: cacti from seeds - growth rate of most popular? [Re: felixhigh]
    #828857 - 08/19/02 05:57 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Okay first, chop down that user title a little, it fucks up the way the thread looks.

Peyote is a slow growing cactus, sometimes taking up to five years to grow a button 3/4 of an inch in diameter. Although i've seen it grow somewhat faster than that.

Trichocereus Genus:
T. Pachanoi, grows very quickly under optimal conditions, sometimes upwards to a couple of feet a year.

Most of the species under Trichocereus genus grow fast.
As for monstrose and cistate, i've never seen them growing in person, but i'd imagine they're somewhat fast, atleast fater than peyote.

If you'd like to get peyote to grow faster you can graft it onto a Trichocereus cactus, but if you plan on growing from seed you'll have wait a while so you can get the peyote big enough to graft onto a normal size diameter Trich.

So if you wanna graft you should try to obtain live old specimens of peyote.

So yeah that's it.

Invisiblesuperpimp
The boss of thefamily

Loc: Philadelphia/NYC
Re: cacti from seeds - growth rate of most popular? [Re: neuro]
    #828929 - 08/19/02 06:26 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

It took you 17 minutes to take a shit? Goddamn man, you got problems!

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Re: cacti from seeds - growth rate of most popular? [Re: superpimp]
    #829578 - 08/20/02 05:22 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

It takes time to walk to the shitter.
Shit, read my book a little, finish shitting come back and write my response, so it's not exacly 17 minutes.

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Re: cacti from seeds - growth rate of most popular [Re: neuro]
    #830343 - 08/20/02 11:26 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

thanks neuro! your answer is what i was looking for! sorry for the lack of clarity (must be some kind of shits fault) and for my spaceless title, i just chose to sacrifice the spaces rather than the letters...
does brigesii grow as fast as pachanoi?
does the monstrose varieties come from the same seedpack as the regular cacti?
a last question: can i starve them during winter? (frost free but not hot). thanks everybody and sorry by the poor grammar...

Edited by felixhigh (08/20/02 11:31 AM)

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#830590 - 08/20/02 01:56 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I believe the growth rates of Trichoceri Genera are all pretty even, although i'm positive some grow somewhat faster than others, but for the most part they're all fast and that's that. PC could probably come up with some exact figures from experience.

This monstrose you speak about, I have never heard of, Only thing i can think of that is close to what you speak about would be T. macrogonus otherwise i do not know of a T. Monstrose so i am not capable of answering that question.

As for this monstrose which probably what you mean is Macrogonus would probably not come in a seed pack containing other cactii seeds. Mostly seed packs contain one sepecies of specimen unless you're buying like wildflowers (which obviously aren't cactii). I have yet to see wild cactii seed packs containing all sorts of varieties.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "starving", but i can tell you that normally winter time whether it be warm all year round or not, the cactii will go into some state of dormancy, even if warm and crops are grown year round. I wouldn't suggest starving the cactus during winter, even if it is inside, i'd suggest watering less, that's normally what i do, and i have no problems. It does not need as much water or nutrients since it's not vigorously growing, it's in a dormant state. It does need some water though. So give it water, just not as much as you did before. If you watered monday everyweek, water it like monday every other week and see how it is. and give it nutrients only twice during it's dormancy.

That's my plans. If you ask around or this thread catches the eye of others they can probably tell you what they do, may be the same may be different. None the less what I do, works for me.

Anonymous

#833331 - 08/21/02 12:11 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I have a t. bridgesii var. monstrose.

OfflineT0aD
Stranger

#834441 - 08/21/02 07:27 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

that screen name is cool

--------------------
Cuba Libre

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Re: cacti from seeds - growth rate of most popular [Re: ]
    #835377 - 08/22/02 06:49 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I realized later you probably were trying to say you had T. something var. Monstrose.. It made sense to me later sometime after i posted my last response.

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

#836351 - 08/22/02 02:46 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

neuro: i think it was clear i was talking about the monstrose/cristate varieties of cacti species... but thanks a lot for the input!
PC: i've seen some cristate pachanois for sale but they were way TOO expensive... i asked the guy for cuttings but he (he's supposed to be an experienced cactus cultivator) says it's not possible and that he's tried and they all rot out... what i wonder is where the original plant came from... about my babies, i think most of people here is aware that one whose growing cacti (specially peyote) from seeds is not in a hurry to get high... i treat all plants (and my only pet) with a lot of respect and care, i like to give plants seeds/cuttings to friends in order to ensure they will propagate... i get really pissed off when someone on a post complains why didn't he trip if he has taken two baby pedros or one peyote... lameness extincts. unfortunately not the lamers...

Edited by felixhigh (08/22/02 02:57 PM)

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

#836403 - 08/22/02 03:08 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

neuro: when i talked about starving the cacti i meant to stress it, to give it little or almost no water in order for it to build up the alkaloids. of course they should be inside, protected from rain. i'd like to know (from anyone) if it's effective to starve it on it's dormant state.
i thought that in the tropics where its warm year round cacti wouldn't stop growing (no dormancy)... isn't it right???
oh, i almost forgot: thanks everybody for the input!!!

Edited by felixhigh (08/22/02 03:13 PM)

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#836731 - 08/22/02 05:30 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

all cactii go through a dormant period, whether it is possible for them to grow year round or not.

I've never believed that starving a cactus of water will increase the alkloid content. I, in fact, believe just the opposite. Water is needed for the cactus to produce alkloids, it's necessary for hydrolysis of nutrients for which some of the nitrogens and carbons and hydrogens and oxygens to be broken from their bonds, ionized, and reprocessed to make the alkoids. Don't forget some of that hydrogen that is dangling off the benzene groups and the oxygen not only come from the air it absorbs, but also from the water. So i believe starving the cactus is not a good idea, in theory atleast. I'd be very interested to see if a credited study could show the opposite. But again, while dormant it won't need as much water, so don't water as much, but keep watering though.

----
shit i spelled alkaloid wrong everytime i used it...

Edited by neuro (08/22/02 05:33 PM)

OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Loc: Georgia
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: superpimp]
    #836820 - 08/22/02 06:10 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Re: cacti from seeds - growth rate of most popular? [Re: Macey Howard]
    #836839 - 08/22/02 06:16 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know whether to be offended or honored.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds