Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
to all you guitar players
    #8351167 - 05/01/08 07:57 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

this or next week, not so sure really but soon in any case... i plan on picking myself up some cheap used acoustic guitar, and proceed to learn to play said guitar. first off, i am left handed. should i look for a left handed guitar, or should i learn to play it right handed? i have no previous experience with musical instruments of any kind, i just figured its time i learn to play one. also, whats the best way of going about learning to play? is this something that can be self taught, or should i look into lessons of some sort?

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleemeryg89
Are we God yet?
 User Gallery

Loc: la madre Gaia
Re: to all you guitar players [Re: wrestler_az]
    #8351450 - 05/01/08 08:57 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Hey friend.

I recommend finding yourself a left-handed guitar. Learning to play is one thing, but doing it backwards would be very hard - or so I'd imagine. Instead of buying a cheap used one (which it might be hard to find a left handed) I'd suggest buying yourself a relatively cheap new one of half-decent quality. If you actually plan on playing, you'll be very disappointed in the quality of a cheap guitar... Check out musiciansfriend.com. You can find some decent deals there for relatively cheap... most of the cheaper guitars there you'd be paying the same price for at a second-hand shop for something used, off-brand, or otherwise lesser quality. I went with the cheapest Washburn acoustic they have and I was not let down. Beautiful guitar. I can't imagine someone paying for expensive guitars when good quality can be had so cheap. I think I only payed $130 for mine.

As for learning... it can be done in various fashions. You can surely learn to play all by yourself... you don't need lessons. Lessons might help, but if you're independent, go ahead with it yourself. A good way to get started is to find some easy acoustic songs to play... these will help you get down the more basic chords and strum patterns... from there just keep working your way up. An easy song to start with which covers 4 major chords is Knocking on Heavens Door (Dylan's version). I taught myself to play guitar... very casually and without too much diligence. It's not hard, you just have to actually want to play and be willing to practice quite often... it's a little frustrating at first, but the more you play the easier it gets. If you have trouble at first, there are various free lessons, tutorials, and whatnot online that can help you, rather than dishing out money for actual lessons. Also, if you've got some friends who play or something, you could hang out with them and have you show you some things. Good luck!

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #8352374 - 05/02/08 02:00 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

just grab a guitar in a store and hold it in different ways, as if it's a right handed, or a left handed one. soon enough you'll feel what feels most natural for you.

Lesson's aren't nescessary, but I can recommend it though. You could learn wrong basic techniques that will be hard to unlearn if you need to.

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#8352860 - 05/02/08 08:02 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Just practice with a metronome. Music is all about timing.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Invisibleslackophage
Misanthropist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattleish
    #8353346 - 05/02/08 11:25 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

wrestler_az said:
this or next week, not so sure really but soon in any case... i plan on picking myself up some cheap used acoustic guitar, and proceed to learn to play said guitar. first off, i am left handed. should i look for a left handed guitar, or should i learn to play it right handed? i have no previous experience with musical instruments of any kind, i just figured its time i learn to play one. also, whats the best way of going about learning to play? is this something that can be self taught, or should i look into lessons of some sort?

You can be self-taught, start with chords, then scales, but it helps to have a friend show you the finer points.

And for the lefty thing, it depends on how dominant your left side is. I've got a left handed friend who plays right handed, granted he also pitched right handed and his right foot is dominant. Try both, see what's more comfortable for ya. If nothing else, a right handed guitar can always be strung upside down a la Hendrix.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates