Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenonoman
ambassador
Male User Gallery

Loc: the wood
Basswood guitars - your opinion
    #3813317 - 02/21/05 09:53 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Let 'em fly. Opinions that is, not guitars.

J/K, I've heard pros and cons before, now I wanna hear yours.....

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Basswood guitars - your opinion [Re: nonoman]
    #3813802 - 02/21/05 11:19 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Good topic. The following comments relate to solid body electrical guitars and NOT acoustics.

As any guitar player knows, basswood guitars are usually way cheaper in price than guitars made of mahogany or alder. There are many models of guitar that have a "basswood model" which costs a certain amount and a "mahogany model" which is twice as expensive. Many people are biased against basswood. They consider it a cheap and shitty wood that doesn't sound good.

Many of these anti-basswood opinions are also based upon the fact that many basswood guitars have shitty components on them. They are the "cheaper" guitars that are marketed towards the beginners or the people with little money. As a result, basswood guitars often have shitty pickups, shitty tuners, shitty bridges, shitty necks, and shitty electronics. If you took the most amazing piece of mahogany and you put bad components on it.....it would sound like shit as well. So, basswood guitars get a bad reputation because of the components that are often put on them.

My mom's husband is a very good guitar player who was a professional musician for many years. He has an amazing ear and can often play something immediately after only hearing it once. He knows tone and sound when it comes to guitars. He has two guitars. One is a basswood body with a maple neck. He has good pickups, good electronics, good tuners, and a good neck on it. It sounds good. I think it has a warm tone to it. Your pickups and amp are much more important when it comes to how your guitar sounds than the wood that the body is made out of.

All of the major woods used in guitar making sound good. Some are a little brighter or a little darker. How bright or how dark a guitar is depends greatly not upon the wood that the body is made of, but the mass of the guitar. The more mass a guitar has, the harder it is for the strings to vibrate that large mass. Guitars with a ton of mass tend to be bright. Guitars with not as much mass tend to be darker.

Don't be a wood snob. Plug the guitar in and play it. That is the real test of whether it sounds good. My credo is, "Never order a guitar". Always pick up and play the guitar that you will buy. I have picked up certain models of guitar and then proceeded to pick up the another guitar that was the exact same model and they sounded different.

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Basswood guitars - your opinion [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3814352 - 02/22/05 12:38 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Everything randall flagg said is true.

I played 4 or 5 different copies of my model of guitar before i decided which one I wanted.  In addition to the sound there can be alot of varience from guitar to guitar in finish and wood grain, stain general appearance. 

As randall said most of your sound quality is in the pickups and amp wiht strings coming in third and the wood on a solid body last.  id say less than 10% of hte sound quality comes from the wood. 

now generally speaking the more you spend on a guitar the better it sounds(not allways the case but it is hte majority of the time.)  THis comes form better electronics, and better workmanship.  A guitar priced at around 500 dollars will sound considerably better than one priced at 100.  however the higher the price the LESS improvement in sound can be expected for each dollar.  in other words, a guitar priced at 1000 will not show as much improvement over the 500 dollar guitar, as the 500 dollar guitar showed over the 100 dollar model. 

As far as basswood goes tho i myself have not played one.  This is not because i think it is inferior(tho if you put a basswood gibson les paul up against a mahogany les paul all other things equal I do think the mahogany would sound better).  It is because when i was out buying my last guitar i researched online(harmonycentral.com, got to love that place) and had a short list of guitars I checked out.  I eventually chose an Ibanez sz520 and I am still loving it.  It is a mahogany guitar with a quilted maple top :smile:

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#3814845 - 02/22/05 02:14 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i have worked for many guitar companies in my life, including the gibson custom shop and i have built several guitars on my own. i actually had a repair business for a long time until the economy tanked. i agree with randal that it really doesnt matter when it comes to electrics. it comes down to craftmanship and quality of parts. actually to prove this one, i built a les paul knock off out of 2x4s from home depot. it sounded and played great. just my 2 cents

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Basswood guitars - your opinion [Re: automan]
    #3814931 - 02/22/05 02:34 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

You are a luthier? How do you become one? How long does it take? Is it fun? Does it pay well? Where are the schools for it?

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: Basswood guitars - your opinion [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3815322 - 02/22/05 04:01 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

yes, i am a luthier. i think the best way to become one is through apprenticeship. it takes a lifetime to master but around 2 years to learn to a decent level. it doesnt really pay well. it is a labor of love. there is a good school in the southwest somewhere. i'll try to find it for ya.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Offlinenonoman
ambassador
Male User Gallery

Re: Basswood guitars - your opinion [Re: automan]
    #3815764 - 02/22/05 07:55 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the quality responses, Randall, blaze2 (:heart: harmonycentral!), and automan. This is going better than expected.

Further and more responses welcome...

Offlinediscoabe
Stranger

Loc: Nevada
    #3819748 - 02/23/05 12:01 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I think there is a luthier school in georgia or some shit that's pretty decent and fairly expensive. As far as basswood bodies, I have a japan model bass that has a bassword body. It was plenty of tone and low end, but is light enough that it doesn't break my back. The wood is a bit soft however, even with factory paint it doesn't take much to put a ding in the body.

Offlinenonoman
ambassador
Male User Gallery

Re: Basswood guitars - your opinion [Re: discoabe]
    #3821035 - 02/23/05 07:42 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

This is one of the cons I hear about basswood, that you can ding it with your fingernail.

Other folks say screws strip out of basswood more easily also, but I've never had that problem, having owned a few basswood guitars. That's just hearsay.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media