Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflinePinballWizard
Naive and Gullible as usual

Re: Bass Guitar [Re: CaRnAgECaNdY]
    #4013494 - 04/04/05 05:10 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Don't buy anything online. Every individual guitar plays/sounds different.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFliquid
Back from being gone.
Male User Gallery

Loc: omotive
    #4015449 - 04/05/05 12:07 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I know how to play the piano and the violin.

That's bombing girl!  :shocked: :thumbup: Awesome!
What kind of stuff do you play btw? And how long have you been playing?

--------------------
:dancing: My latest music! :yesnod:

Offlinediscoabe
Stranger

Loc: Nevada
Re: Bass Guitar [Re: Fliquid]
    #4019215 - 04/05/05 09:10 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I started off just playing the bass and that's what made me a bassist and not a guitarist that can play the bass. Most guitarist that play the bass play pretty uninspired shit. Ofcourse there are exceptions however

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Bass Guitar [Re: discoabe]
    #4021025 - 04/06/05 09:56 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

true true. I did the same.. started playing bass and learned guitar later. A lot of people say.. just play guitar man, or bass is just guitar with 2 less strings. Not true. Everyone and their dog plays guitar.. there aren't enough good bass players to begin with. Plus, bass rules. That's crap that if you start with bass you'll get crappy results.. it's all about time and practice and learning, just like any instrument.

--------------------

InvisibleThin White Duke
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4021802 - 04/06/05 01:43 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Can't go wrong with a Fender jazz bass

InvisibleThin White Duke
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Bass Guitar [Re: Thin White Duke]
    #4021807 - 04/06/05 01:45 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Or you can get the hofner, made famous by Paul:

OfflineJon
Re: Bass Guitar [Re: Thin White Duke]
    #4023121 - 04/06/05 07:20 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Just get a Fender Squier, their affordable and tolerable. Your gonna start playin bass so u dont really need a nice one yet.

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: Bass Guitar [Re: Shroomism]
    #4023514 - 04/06/05 08:49 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
true true. I did the same.. started playing bass and learned guitar later. A lot of people say.. just play guitar man, or bass is just guitar with 2 less strings. Not true. Everyone and their dog plays guitar.. there aren't enough good bass players to begin with. Plus, bass rules. That's crap that if you start with bass you'll get crappy results.. it's all about time and practice and learning, just like any instrument.

man, a guy i used to tour with put it best... when a guy rips a huge guitart solo on stage, all the guys in the crowd lose their shit, but when a great bassist is laying down the shit, so deep in the pocket he cant even see light, all the women in the audience are dancing and swinging dat ass.... whcih would you rather be the cause of?

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#4030331 - 04/08/05 10:36 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

my last abss was like this but a 6 string. it got stolen and i miss it terribly.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

InvisibleeMotionALLmotion
DivineeMotive....

Loc: The Symphony of Lights......
    #4030709 - 04/08/05 12:12 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I have always been partial to Ibanez guitarz~, but with basses, I have never heard one "sound" better than Yamaha....  The one I have played in the past, as well as past band members, is a Yamaha RBX800A....  Really nice deep punchy solid sound all the way to helecopter blade chopping....    Desiree, if you listen to the song "Freight Train", that song was done with that bass - adjusted the way I like the bass sound....    :shrug:   

I have a John Myung(Dream Theater) Yamaha 6-String bass too that I got for collection purposes....  I tell ya~ what, the neck is pretty wide....!  I look at it and say "Damn, that is a big bass..."  :lol:    Then I think, "Hand cramp"....  :ooo:  :lol:

Nuthin beats playing guitar....  Well, I guess a drum beats....    But....  :grin:

:sun: :heart:

--------------------
Uni-VersALL      MasterPeace
eMotive  :sun: Divinity NowThere Infinity :sun:  eMelody

OfflineCaRnAgECaNdYS
Tool's groupie
Female User Gallery

Loc: Billy Howerdel's closet Flag
Re: Bass Guitar [Re: eMotionALLmotion]
    #4032264 - 04/08/05 07:30 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I would love to learn both. I suppose I'm attracted more to the deep sound of the bass.

--------------------

The secret to being funny is to say smart things stupidly, or is it stupid things smartly? Whatever..it's not rocket surgery...or something like that.

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #4032354 - 04/08/05 08:04 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

i also have a 5 string ibanez. not overly expensive but still a really good instrument. i cherish it ever so much. although i kinda like a 4 string for slapping. im so used to slapping on a 5 with the strings a bit closer together tho it's kinda weird for me to be playing on a 4

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#4032477 - 04/08/05 08:55 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Every beginner needs a Lotus.  :jesus:

Seriously though, a good player can make any instrument sound ok so its best to go to a store and try stuff out with your own style like was said above.

However, since you are beginning, it would be good to get something relatively cheap and then upgrade after a year or so when you can really walk into guitar center and pick up something good by playing it.  Just a suggestion.  I think it will make you happy in the long run if you really want to get into it.

No sense in buying a $1000 bass from suggesstions just to find out you would prefer something else after you develop.

Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
    #4037874 - 04/10/05 04:45 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

firstly, what type of stuff to you like to listen to and what do you think you want to learn to play?
i know my answers to these questions would have been very different before i started to play bass compared with after and even very significant differences as i continued to improve.

i don't know if you have Godin's wherever you are, but they make some nice cheaper ones
i started on an Ibanez GSR200 which was pretty darn cheap ($300 canadian) and it has the most versatility and best sound for the price that i have seen. after i got good i got some nice EMG active pickups and put em in that which made it sound much better than some $1000 yamahas i have heard. IMO yamahas are not too great till you get around the top end basses. also the soundgears are frickin easy to play because the neck

a used bass would probably be your best bet though, it should already be set up nicely assuming the owner was a cool cat and you could find  a sweet deal on something that you will want to play for a long time.

some other important things:
-when you are playing the instruments at a store (the only way to shop) they may not be set up or set up well. this can make a huge difference in the sound and how easy it is to play. so i recomment you go with someone who has some guitar or bass knowledge.
-i would not start with a five or six string. it is harder (sort of) and until you get a good feel for the four strings i wouldnt go for one. i played for 3 years till i got a five string and even then i like a four string (fretless :smile:) more for what i play most often. of course they isn't really anything wrong with a 5 or 6 string and eventually you will grow used to it.
-a decent amp is also important. if you get a complete piece it will make any instrument sound like shit especially at high volume. to start a small 20 watt or 50w should do you alright, but to practice with drums, i would put 50 watts as the minimum.

either way, i hope you can get into it and develop further as a musician. i figure you probably know some theory if you know how to play piano and violin and that should come in handy after you get a general feel for playing.
good luck

Invisibleusefulidiot
It's notfascist, it's...Neoconservative!

Re: Bass Guitar [Re: holio1]
    #4039534 - 04/11/05 12:13 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I agree having an amp would be good, but decent amps can be kind of expencive.. Starting out I think I'd just go with whatever I could get without spending too much money, I played my first bass for almost two years before I finally got an amp..but then again I didn't have any money for one.. if you don't have an amp to begin with you could just try playing in a quiet room.. new/clean strings can help make it a little louder.. playing with a pick will also help.  Besides, with no amp, in the meantime a beginner could probably get a reasonable head start on their overall technique so that when they do get an amp they don't piss off everybody in the house with it  :tongue: :smile:

Bah, do whatever, just don't forget to have fun with it  :heart:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies