Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
Guitar Company Preferences
    #2292865 - 02/02/04 01:27 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Im lookin to buy an acoustic-electric this month, and i'm not really sure what to think about the diff companies. The final choice will be based on, of course, how it feels in my hands...but i want to narrow down the selection and browse a few companies.

Any experiences or preferences?

--Kremlin

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: Guitar Company Preferences [Re: Kremlin]
    #2292981 - 02/02/04 02:14 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

well often times there's so much added to the price because it's got a popular name on it... But sometimes that's good--you would want a Fender Telecaster over an Austin copy Telecaster...

with electrics it's easy to upgrade electronics, but you wouldn't want to put 200 bucks worth into a shitty 100 dollar genero guitar.

It's all about what it feels in your hands, and what kind of tone you are looking for (mostly re: electrics)

If you have a large budget, Martin Acoustics are THE acoustic guitar, hands down. But, there's a lot of acoustics that feel wonderful that don't have too well known a brand. Alvarez, Gretch, ESP...

With electrics, Gibsons are great, so are obviously Fender Strats and Tele's, and PRS or Ibanez if you play with distortion. Good genero's are Squier (depending) and Epiphone. Peavey's usually feel real nice.

just check out where the guitar was made (Mexican Tele's aren't as good as American Tele's) and how the neck feels.

Just stay away from Ovations, Johnsons, Austins, and anything that looks like it was glued together with Elmer's.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineKreeprCeepr
Dont mistakelack of talentfor genius!

Loc: Oregon
    #2292996 - 02/02/04 02:23 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Are you brand new to playig musical instruments? if so, i would truly tell you to go and by a cheap guitar that feels good, whichever one is cheaper. Im big into music and playing guitar, i started when i was 13 and bought a Fred Meyer (local store) guitar, it was heavy, sounded like shit, but i loved it cause i payed $99 dollers for it. i practiced constantly and truly fell in love with the guitar, since then i have bought a new one. It is an Ibanez RG-570, eveything you could possibly want on a guitar, i also paid $700 for it. the reaosn im telling you to go and get a cheap on that feels good, is because if you do get it, and decide that the guitar is not for you, then you wont have wasted gobs of money for it. I also would suggest to first get an acoustic, and learn how to play it, very well, and then explore into electric. they are very different, but alot of very good guitar players started on an acousitc (it is alot cheaper in the beggining). The only other advice i can give you is to Practice, Practice, and Practice some more!!!! good luck~

--------------------
"My lands are where my dead lie buried" Crazy Horse R.I.P

Native Pride

Edited by KreeprCeepr (02/02/04 02:26 AM)

Offlinezoso507
Burned Down
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2293054 - 02/02/04 03:02 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

like blastrid said Martin & co is the best, I think its more of a fact than opinion. PRS is best eletric too, at least thats what I think.

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Re: Guitar Company Preferences [Re: zoso507]
    #2293069 - 02/02/04 03:12 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I've been playing guitar for 7 years, im not new to the instrument. i have a gibson les paul and an Ibanez js1000. But i want to grab an acoustic-electric...ive been wanting to for a long time.

Martin, yah i like them, and ive heard they are the best. But im lookin to drop 4 max, about.

--Kremlin

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Re: Guitar Company Preferences [Re: Blastrid]
    #2293253 - 02/02/04 04:50 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Blastrid i see you say stay away from Ovations, ive heard the same over the year...what is your reasoning?

The reasoning ive always heard is the mismatched component types reacting to temperatures and humidities differently...ie wood and fiberglass-type back.

--Kremlin

--------------------

-George Gissing

--Fyodor Dostoevsky

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

#2293719 - 02/02/04 11:18 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

yeah I've heard that as well. They've got something like a 50-60% success rate in manufacturing guitars, and if the back falls off, it's extremely difficult to affix it again (automan, can you verify this?)
Kaki King uses an Ovation, and she sounds bad ass. But the guitar is inherently a bad construction.

Acoustic-electrics.... well just about any acoustic company makes one, Fender, Gretch, Gibson, Alvarez, etc. Do you have an acoustic-electric amp? It won't sound nearly as good thru a normal electric amp--but it will still be obv. amplified which is good.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

#2294196 - 02/02/04 02:43 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

no, i dont have an acoustic-electic amp, but i just want to leave myself the option of plugging in, ya know?

Ive got a Crate half stack and an Audigy on my comp for amplification options.

I'm gonna go look @ Martin's today probably.

--Kremlin

--------------------

-George Gissing

--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #2294836 - 02/02/04 06:55 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

if you are into rork music, I suggest a Jackson guitar  :thumbup: For acoustic guitars you should probably just play as many different types as you can to see what sounds and feels the best, and for electic-acoustic I have no idea on what you should look for :frown: find out what guitars Kurt Cobain used in Nirvana Unplugged and you can't go wrong.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2294917 - 02/02/04 07:33 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Favorite electric guitars: Ibanez, Gibson, PRS, Parker

Favorite acoustics: Takamine, Ovation, Martin & Co.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlineaje
Why not?
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in some small dive
Re: Guitar Company Preferences [Re: silversoul7]
    #2295183 - 02/02/04 09:26 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Martin's are sweet guitars

check out www.guitargeek.com, its a great guitar/bass equipment forum.

--------------------

Edited by Blastrid (02/02/04 09:55 PM)

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Re: Guitar Company Preferences [Re: aje]
    #2295277 - 02/02/04 09:54 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

and www.harmony-central.com

best user reviews...

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    ex.  Blastrid!

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

#2296287 - 02/03/04 04:27 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

preempting an actual test run,

ive decided to go with Seagull...i talked to alot of people and they said all theyve heard of them have been excellent sound, for a very decent price.

--Kremlin

--------------------

-George Gissing

--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media