Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: The Doors

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

outfitting guitaR?
    #2679646 - 05/14/04 09:05 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

hey so i basically have two plans that i plan to realize in the next year or so- outfitting my guitar with different pickups, and getting a new amp..

my problem - if i get the amp first, i wont know which one to get because i need to test it out with the pickups, so i need those first

but with those- with my current practice amp, i wont be able to distinguish what i like from what i dont; besides which, i sort of have to choose the pickup before i do anything else, but i dont know how to choose the damn pickups.

Anyone offer any advice on choosing pickups on a i-hope-this-first-choice-is-awesome kind of schedule? Or maybe reccomendations for pickups?

I like playing grungy stuff in the sense of nirvana and alice in chains, but also like metal -- not really interested in thrash, and the metal i go for is usually distorted.
But then, i also like playing classic rock and stuff like Johny B Goode, or led zeppelin sort of stuff- all of this usually uses some sort of sound distortion, but i also like having it clean, usually for eerie sounding stuff, like some of the doors stuff or even like in the AIC song Am I Inside.

I dont know if the above makes much sense to you b/c im working from my knowledge of what music sounds like..

anyway, how much of a difference do pickups make in a guitar besides that? how much is inherently its own sound?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: outfitting guitaR? [Re: vampirism]
    #2681182 - 05/15/04 04:34 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

when it comes to electric guitars, most of the sound is derived from pickups and string gauge. i would go with emg pickups. i think they make the best. do you have humbuckers or single coils?

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
    #2681369 - 05/15/04 06:49 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

im a personal fan of seymour duncan pickups

i built a guitar a while back and threw in the duncans, and it sounds mean

--Krem

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: outfitting guitaR? [Re: automan]
    #2681681 - 05/15/04 11:15 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

humbuckers

originally i had thought duncan 59s might be good as theyre the pickups w/ the most good reviews, what are emgs like?

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
    #2682536 - 05/15/04 03:40 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Aye SD '59s are class. I've got a telecaster and recently put in a SD Hotrails (even posted it here! http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...=#Post2283640). Jesus thats long. The hotrails is hot as shit, but it's single coil.

I'd say Seymore Duncans over EMGs anyday, but that's just me. I work in a guitar store and some people really like EMGs, so I guess it's down to personal preference.

Get down to yo local guitar store and just spend an hour fucking about on equipment. Try out their amps and ask if they've any guitars fitted with SDs or special pickups.

I'm stoned so that was a bit of a gibber.//

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: The Doors

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media