Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
Need Help with Guitar
    #2401356 - 03/04/04 05:26 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Just bought a PRS, slapped some .010's on it instead of its stock .090's...

Automan or any other luthier/guitar expert -- what are the proper steps i shoudl take to intonate?

I attempted it with a guide from PRS (very brief), but as i kept adjusting the screw the string would just detune and id have to retune, recycle...i never got anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

--Krem

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleidiotek

Re: Need Help with Guitar [Re: Kremlin]
    #2401584 - 03/04/04 08:57 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

.. it should have great intonation already.

Make sure you wound the strings correctly into the pegs, and also you might want to try stretching the strings just a bit by pulling out on them away from the neck as you wind them in.

If you weave a slight "knot" around the peg with the end of the string, you may find it much easier to wind it. They tend to stretch out of tune anyway at first.. that's just the nature of new strings.

good luck, I hope that helps.. btw, what sort of PRS do you have?

I have one, mine's dark cherry red.. McCarty standard solidbody. I adore it.

Edited by idiotek (03/04/04 09:53 AM)

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Re: Need Help with Guitar [Re: idiotek]
    #2402565 - 03/04/04 02:16 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i talked to some people about it and they said definately adjust for switching to .010's. The bridge was not parallel with the body once i put them on, since its more pull. That's why i do have to do this.

Its just a CE22, i'll post a pic when i get home to my camera.

--Krem

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
    #2402706 - 03/04/04 02:56 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

not familiar with bridge level adjustment, but as far as intonating the harmonics----> with a tuner, play the open string, then the 12th fret. if the 12th fret is slightly out of tune, there are tiny screws on the bridge that should be adjusted to fix that--they're microtuners.
It will get out of tune again when you do that, so just retune the open, and do it again.

This makes playing high on the fretboard just as in tune as 1st position.

automan in 3...2...1...

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Re: Need Help with Guitar [Re: Blastrid]
    #2403517 - 03/04/04 06:15 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

thats exactly what i was doing, but i just couldnt make them match, no matter how long i tried it....just seemed like it was going on forever.

i'll give it another shot tho :smile:

--KRem

--------------------

-George Gissing

--Fyodor Dostoevsky

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#2405582 - 03/05/04 03:51 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

there are 3 steps to setting up a guitar:
1)neck bow
2)string height
3)intonation

1) to set neck bow, tune the instrument to how you will usually be tuning it. hold the instrument so that the bottom strap button is on your chin and look past the pickups and down the neck. you should see a very slight bow... and i mean VERY SLIGHT. if it is bowed to far towards the strings, turn the intonation rod bolt counter-clock wise 1/4 turn at a time. then gently push/pull on the neck to help it adjust. repeat this process untill you have an ever so slight bow towards the strings.

2) to set string height, if adjusting the neck didnt set it to where it should be, is to lower the saddles. this is accomplished by the 2 (usually) screws on top of the saddle. i like to take each string down until it buzzes, retune the guitar to bring the neck back to tension, then adjust each string's saddle screws 1/2 turn each until the buzz just stops. even if there is a slight buzz, its ok for now... you'll see why in a second. do this process with each string making sure to keep JUST THAT STRING in tune while adjusting it. the other strings will slowly go out of tune.... thats ok. now, go back and re-tune the instrument. bringing it back up to tune should get rid of the tiny bit of buzz you left in the instrument... and... if you did step one correctly (neck bow) you should have super low action that doesnt buzz and ables you to play much faster. if you still catch a buzz :smirk: just adjust that saddle about an 1/8th of a turn. that should handle it.

3)intonation is achieved by placing the 12th fret harmonics directly over the 12th fret. the way to do this is to tune the instrument perfectly. hit the 12th fret harmonic to tune the instrument. now, as lightly (finger pressure-wise) as you can play that note, play it and see if it's higher or lower in pitch compared to the harmonic. tighening that screw will move the saddle towards the bridge effectively making th string longer. that is what you do when the harmonic is lower than the played note. visa-versa the change the intonation the other direction. the number one mistake people make when setting intonation is pressing the string too hard when playing the 12th fret note which actually bends the note a little higher than it would have been if played lightly.

now, once you've done all of these steps, play the hell out of your guitar for about an hour then put it down for the night. it will keep adjusting a little, especially the neck bow adjustment. the next day, tune it up and see how it feels. if it is still not intonating correctly, my guess is that you are pressing the strings too hard when you play. lighten up your grip a little. touch the guitar how you touch the back of your girlfriends neck. :wink:

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media