Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleMazzyStar
C4LC

Re: Few guitar questions [Re: vampirism]
    #2308428 - 02/06/04 11:54 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

" Fingerpicking / pick use:
Is there any serious advantage to either? Fingerpicking seems like it would take alot more work and would be slower than using a pick, but more versatile. I've been using just a pick, but should I have started learning fingerpicking from the beginning? "

I've found that fingerpicking and pick use result in distinctly different sounds, at least to me. Especially playing on an acoustic, which i do lately. So I think it's a good idea to learn both, but as far as when you should use either, i think it really depends on the style of the song and the sound you want...i personally think fingerpicking is way cooler and funner though
:thumbup:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesmoochie
just anotherface in many
Loc: corporate america
Re: Few guitar questions [Re: vampirism]
    #2309064 - 02/06/04 03:04 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

first...FUCK LABELS!  that being said...neck usually is for rythmm, and the bridge for lead, essentially, but it depends on the output of the pickups, and exactly how far from the bridge. neck pickups sound more smooth because the string vibrations are fuller towards the center; bridge pickups sound sharper because the string vibrations are closer together. bridge pickups also usually have more output because the signal from the small vibrations isn't very strong. lower output pickups are usually "muddier" and high output pickups have more chime. it also depends on the magnets: ceramics (most cheap single coils) add alot of output and tend to sound rather harsh with distortion especially when in a humbucker (i know ibanez puts ceramic mags in their cheaper guitars, even humbuckers which sound bad IMHO) Alnico mags sound smoother depending on the grade 2 3 or 5; 2 being the smoothest. most pickups use alnico magnets.  if you want extremely clear notes, go with bridge, if you want smooth tone go neck. i usually play middle with my strat, but never limit myself to one pickup per song, also play around with your tone knobs, they add more versatility to your sound than anything else you can buy.

:grin: disclaimer: When it comes to guitar/ pickups/ music (note: theory) nothing is set in stone and i am not accountable for any wrong information as there are variations in the rules :grin:

by the way, i don't think you'll have to worry about getting your neck re-fretted, i've had my guitar for a few years (it's been through hell) and everything works; the first few are getting a little worn, but nothing to worry about.

Auto, i've been considering getting into lutherie in the near future hook me up with some info, i'm already making single coil pickups and the occasional HB

good luck with the guitar, man. don't give up, it'll all come. also, definetly go with an instructor. a wize jazz musician once told me "Teachers are important because, you don't know what you don't know. they do." also, books are good at the beginning and you'll get good fast if you stick to it. but make sure you try to learn things by ear as well it's hard at first but you'll be glad you did since it will help later.

i'm out

--------------------
Now is only an instant, and as soon as it happens it's gone. yet...it's always now.

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: Few guitar questions [Re: smoochie]
    #2309705 - 02/06/04 06:30 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

smoochie said:
Auto, i've been considering getting into lutherie in the near future hook me up with some info, i'm already making single coil pickups and the occasional HB

honestly, the best way to learn is to go to work for a guitar manufacturing company. that's how i got my start. i started with fine sanding (one of the most overlooked aspects of fine instrument building), then moved on to neck shaping and body building (which includes binding, fret work, neck fitting, etc.), and finally learned finishing and accurate assembly. working for a company, i had the flexability to work on each aspect of building until i mastered it.
i recommend, if you dont live near a guitar company, starting by reading a repair book. this is the best one i have found. once you learn how to repair, building will come more naturally.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale