Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Toxic Shroom Id List for Shroom Dummies(Info)
    #833739 - 08/21/02 02:54 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Well with the season soon upon us and many onnocent shroom investigators out and about I thought that I had posted this a few days ago and it seems to have disappeared. So I am reposting it again here now.

In five parts in one post. Why they came out in different sizes is beyond my comprehension. Read and learn. Sorry about the odd sizes of the five sections needed to post this.

Mj

And remember not to eat any mushroom you find without having a trained mycologist identify it for you. And please be careful.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedownt1me
Stranger
Re: Toxic Shroom Id List for Shroom Dummies(Info) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #833807 - 08/21/02 03:23 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Nice information.. I'll definately think twice before attempting to eat anything that I may find.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #834189 - 08/21/02 05:53 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

You just hadda know I'd want to chime in on this thread.

Overall, good article and excellent post. It lists the important poisonous mushrooms, and separates the potentially deadly from those which "merely" sicken (if you've spoken with poisoning victims then you know why I put merely in quotes). I do think it somewhat minimizes the risks for a few species, so I will mention them.

Contrary to the article, there was a fatal poisoning due to Lepiota josserandi in 1986 in the US (J.H.Haines, E.Lichstein, and DGlickerman, "A Fatal Poisoning from an Amatoxin-containing Lepiota", Mycopatholologia (1986) 93(1):15-17). Admittedly, this is the only fatality I am aware of in the US, but we have the same deadly species here as over in Turkey (14 fatalities in 1988 due to Lepiotas), so people should remember that small Lepiotas are very dangerous and should never be eaten. (None of them are active anyway).

Poisoning due to Gyromita esculenta seems to be almost dismissed as being due to individual sensitivity. This is definitely untrue. The difficulty with methylhydrazine (the main poison in false morels) poisoning is that there is a small difference in the dosage that causes symtpoms and the dosage that kills. In monkeys, 5mg of methylhydrazine only causes vomiting, 7mg is lethal. This is why a group of people who eat the same batch of mushrooms at the same meal can see one die, one sick, and others with no symptoms at all. When you throw in the fact that crops of mushrooms can vary considerably in the levels of toxin (more than a ratio of 6:1), we get a situation where someone can pick and eat them for years without harm then suddenly be fatally poisoned by them. There are treatments (drying, parboiling) which can be done to false morels to remove almost all the methylhydrazine, but they don't affect the carcinogens. How bad the carcinogens are has not yet been studied.

Dismissing the toxicity of Paxillus involutus at the end of the article seems bad, considering that it has caused several fatalities. Admittedly, the acute autolytic anemia it causes is rare, but nobody knows what sets it off yet.

The main message I would send to those hunting psilocybin containing mushrooms is that they should get to know and be able to identify Galerina marginata, G. autumnalis, and the similar Galerina species which are the ones most commonly confused with Psilocybes (that's ID to genus, not to species).

Again, good article. Just the sort of thing to help reduce the number of people who might end up in an emergency room because they ate the wrong thing.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #834317 - 08/21/02 06:44 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Good post, and very informative as usual. I am glad you included the part about the honey mushrooms. A lot of guides seem to mysify them, and the Armillariella genus at large, to the point that many people won't risk eating them and others give no mention at all of any ill effects associated with them, or at least make no efforts to clarify the reasons behind the poisonings.
Also, i liked the bit about life being a gradualy aquired hypersensitivity.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Toxic Shroom Id List for Shroom Dummies(Info) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #834783 - 08/21/02 11:27 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Below on the top half of the image we have here the deady species Galerina autumnalis and on the bootom half of the image a small colony of Psilocybe cyanescens. See how the tops of the caps can resemble each other macroscopically bu their color and sometimes even the Galerina caps will turn upward and curl like the P. cyanescens.

Minor diferences are that the stems on the Galerinas are orange-cinnamon colored and they have an orange ring on the stems and orange-cinnamon colored gills while the P. cyanescens has a pure white stem which stains extremely blue when handled with chocolate to purple-brown spore deposit and gills.

The 2nd imaged shows Galerina venenata in a lawn at Southcenter in Tukwilla, Washington and a several feet away on the same lawn in the bottom half of that image is a small colony of Psilocybe stuntzii. Differences are again Galerinas have orange-cinnamon colored gills and stem and an orange colored ring and no bluing while the Psilocybe stuntzii has a white to straw colored stem with a blue ring around the top portion of the stem and some bluing on the stem or blue-green along the edges of the caps.

The third image posted directly below is the deadly species Conocybe filaris

I would also like to point out that Some lepiotas picked jin and around Gainesville, Florida are the number one toxic mushroom collected accidently by young adult shroomers while looking for Psilocybe cubensis. It is the number mushroom in Florida to be accidently consume resulting in emergency room treatments. This was verified years ago by the Atlanta Poison Control Center and by Steven Peele of the FMRC.

mj

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #835670 - 08/22/02 09:50 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

- Couple years ago i was Shroom picking with the infamous Shroom_Wizard himself,
AAnd i began finding lots and lots of Shrooms that of which were in very close resemblance to Psilocybe Cubensis.
--TThey were in fact not Psilocybe Cubensis due to the fact that they did not stain blue and the veils were not quite as delicate. The veils did seem to be speckled with large spore mass chunks, and they did look to be purple.

Never found them anywhere else but up in Gainesvill.e.

Thanks again mj mushroomer.

GG

OfflineKingBolete
enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast
    #837117 - 08/22/02 09:37 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Hey there,

Nice looking "Blue Legs". After a rain this summer many of the yards in this area sprouted Green-Spored Lepiota....they were just everywhere and were thankfully ignored by the general population. It would have surely been a barf fest for all who might have eaten those items.

Juan/Javier got his first "active" Ps Cube shroom the other day...it was a small specimen that came up unexpectely from a small piece of cake Juan/Javier placed outside. Quite potent for a single small shroom...he was surprised. He couldn't image what a handful might be like in that regards.

Best regards,

King Bolete

Invisiblewallace
Male

Loc: Canada
    #3035220 - 08/22/04 02:08 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

MJ, I am looking at a photo of p. argentipes and g. marginata. The cap, the stock, the umbo, everything is superficially identical. The argentipes shows signs of bluing. Does the bluing AT LEAST mean you are not getting one of those bastard galerinas? The galerinas are also bluish near the base, right? Ultimately you need a spore print, I think everyone is going to tell me. The p. mushrooms should be purple-brown, and the g. mushrooms orange-brown right? But apart from that (the experienced hunter doesn't need spore prints I'll bet)what does a hunter look for in the field? (By the way, your photos with p. mushrooms and the galerina in it have just confused me more.)Thanks.
Wallace

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Toxic Shroom Id List for Shroom Dummies(Info) [Re: wallace]
    #3035592 - 08/22/04 07:03 AM (19 years, 7 months ago)

There are no blluing in any of the Galerina';s except galerina steglechii which is a psilocybian mushroom found in Germany.

And Galerina mushrooms are more like P. stuntzii and p.cyanecens than P. argentipes.

Galerina caps are rddish brown and have a ring on the stem and do not turn blue at all. And are usually broad to broadly convexed.\ To befcoming flat with age. Both are hygrophanous, meaning they change color in drying.

While P. argentipes caps are similar, they are nore cone shaped and conical, sometimes the stems are also putre white with good bluing but may also be scabulous and fibrilous with white scabs over the orangebrownish tone of the stem color.
The argentipes have no rings and blue while

Here are three images form others who gave me permission to use the photos

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #3036340 - 08/22/04 01:19 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

:thumbup: Good post mj...

Invisiblewallace
Male

Loc: Canada
    #3036844 - 08/22/04 04:53 PM (19 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the info.
Wallace

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies