Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
a newbie's setup - progress
    #833760 - 08/21/02 05:00 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Well, I'll give you my story. I didn't do the most careful job preparing my jars, in fact, I took off while there were two pots of jars being sterilized on the stovetop. When I got back, the water had evaporated in one of the pots and burned the jars. I figured that probably ruined five of my jars, so I opened one up to see if the substrate had dried out and it hadn't. I didn't want to risk loosing spores to a bunch of fucked up jars, so I threw them out.. except one... just to see if it would work still. One jar from the other pot seemed to have a lot of moisture in it, and was heavier than the others, but I said fuck it and innoculated it anyway. So I have five jars total.

I think its been about two weeks now and they seem to be doing just dandy, with the exception of the heavy wet jar, which has shown very little mycelium growth.

So here's the scoop on the terrarium: I was going to use perlite as the casing layer to dodge any humidity problems. This seems the best way to go with my situation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you get greater yeilds if you spread the cakes out instead of leaving them in tact? I wouldn't be able to spread them out right over the perlite. So my idea was to buy a peice of screen and glue it to the sides of the terrarium, about and inch above the perlite, then buy a 13x9 pan, rest it on the screen and grow the mushrooms in it (with the cakes spread out of course). Would I have to put a bit of soil at the bottom of the pan? How does that sound? Any feedback or suggestions?

weed rocks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
Re: a newbie's setup - progress [Re: bastardhead]
    #833993 - 08/21/02 06:44 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I think you have a LOT more reading to do newbie!

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TMâ„¢ :cool:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation