Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Dessicant, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinehasan_i_sabah
Leader of theHashishins

Loc: Alamut
Growing Mushrooms in the Same Soil as a Cannabis Plant
    #2086961 - 11/09/03 07:29 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Some questions that I couldn't find answered elsewhere on this site:
all relating to fruiting
1) Does it matter what kind of light I am using or will anything do? Do different spectrums make Psilocybe Cubensis grow differently, and if so, what is the best spectrum?
2) Does it matter how long my light is on for each day, and if so what is the best length?
3) If I have a small enclosure 17" H x 7.5" W x 17" D, and am using perlite to keep the humidity up, how often should I vent it? I would like to know how long it would take to get back up to 90% or so, so that I can vent it as often as possible, because I will be venting into an area that would benefit from the CO2 content. I'm thinking about venting every 2 hours or something like that. Is this too often, or not enough?
4) I have read that Psilocybe Cubensis is phototropic, and that means it needs a light to grow toward. My question is this, if I suppended my cakes, or layed them on some kind of wire net, and had light hitting every part of the cake (including the bottom) would it grow from every face of the cake outward?

--------------------
What I was having trouble finding is the one thing that should never be missing from religion: the personal experience of God in the here and now. - Clark Heinrich "Magic Mushrooms in Religion and Alchemy"

Edited by hasan_i_sabah (11/16/03 10:19 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineangryjslice
now with 20%more anger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Some quick newbie questions [Re: hasan_i_sabah]
    #2086966 - 11/09/03 07:33 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

supposedly lights in the blue end of the spectrum stimulate pinning more. i use regular white christmas lights, and they seem to do the job just fine. thats an excellent idea about suspending the cakes, maybe use a real wide hardware cloth so the mushies can still grow out. youd have to light from the bottom and the top. in fact, you just inspired me to give this a shot on my next grow. awesome.

~JSlice~

--------------------

OfflineErik006
MushroomCultivator

Loc: Ontario
Re: Some quick newbie questions [Re: angryjslice]
    #2087013 - 11/09/03 08:08 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

I'm running a light high in the blue light spectrum, ive ran it for 12/12 most of the time, but ive left it on for 36 hours straight too.
What i noticed is that the mushrooms (seem) to grow faster right after the light is turned on and right after the light is turned off,
Overall 12/12 is probably the best. And the mushrooms will probably grow towards the light source.

Erik006

--------------------
At last you know what ineffable is, and what ecstacy means

Offlinefungus888
fungus888

Loc: midwest
    #2087022 - 11/09/03 08:15 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

I'm thinking about venting every 2 hours or something like that. Is this too often, or not enough?

If you fan too often your relative humidity will drop a lot.
put CO2 exaust holes just above the layer of your perlite and fill them with polyfill, I think two holes would suffice in a chamber of that size.

Offlinehasan_i_sabah
Leader of theHashishins

Re: Some quick newbie questions [Re: Erik006]
    #2087050 - 11/09/03 08:31 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

Thanks for the answers guys.
And I really like your signature Erik006, I've read all of the Ethno-Mycological Studies that I could get a hold of, and some others. I just found out on WorldCat that the Harvard Botanical Library now has all of his papers between 1931-1986, and am going to send them some money to make me copies. Robert Gordon Wasson is my idol.

--------------------
What I was having trouble finding is the one thing that should never be missing from religion: the personal experience of God in the here and now. - Clark Heinrich "Magic Mushrooms in Religion and Alchemy"

Offlinestudent
Stranger

#2087067 - 11/09/03 08:38 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

hasan_i_sabah - chicken wire. It is the hexaganal wire mesh at any hardware store. I got a roll of I think 40 feet for like 7 dollars last winter for duck decoys. The holes are about 3 inches. That is am amazing idea. If you ever expand on it please let us know.

thank you,
student

Offlinehasan_i_sabah
Leader of theHashishins

Re: Some quick newbie questions [Re: student]
    #2087156 - 11/09/03 09:09 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

fungus888,
So you say that I don't need to forcefully vent the fruiting chamber at all, just put some holes above the layer of perlite and fill them with polyfill. That sounds cool, but I would like to be able to direct where the CO2 enriched air goes.
I guess that I will just have to spill my master plan.
I plan on having two computer towers next to each other. One will be growing Cannabis sativa and the other will be growing Psilocybe cubensis. The Cannabis chamber will vent normally, but when the Psilocybe chamber vents (with some dessicant in the tubing to lower the humidity a little) it will go into the Cannabis chamber, and that will create some pressure which will force some air out of the Cannabis chamber, which I plan on directing into the Psilocybe chamber. Oxygenated air for my mushrooms, and C02 enriched air for my mushrooms. My own mini-ecosystem.
That is why I would like to know how often I could get away with venting the Psilocybe fruiting chamber.
I actually already have the Cannabis computer tower, I found overgrow.com awhile ago, and am working on building the Psilocybe computer tower. Right now, I've got a computer tower with the dimensions stated in my first post, completely gutted. I lined the bottom with linoleum, and put a 4" lip of linoleum around it, using silicone caulk to seal it and make it water-tight. I also caulked up all the holes to make it air-tight, except for the fan hole, and one for the intake that will close when no air is being pulled in. That's it so far, and the reason why I asked about lights before, because it's the next thing I have to add to the setup.
Anyone have thoughts on that setup, any comments would be appreciated.

--------------------

Offlineangryjslice
now with 20%more anger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #2087178 - 11/09/03 09:17 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

pimp. ive said several times that people should mix myc in with there soil for pot....as myc does better with a host plant, and the weed would love the CO2. this sounds like a great idea, w/ the computer setups and such. let us know how it goes and good luck...

actually...on second thought...how big are these towers?? i mean...a cannabis plant i dont think could fit very well inside my computer tower...

~JSlice~

--------------------

Edited by angryjslice (11/09/03 09:18 PM)

Offlinehasan_i_sabah
Leader of theHashishins

#2087591 - 11/09/03 11:15 PM (13 years, 27 days ago)

It is not that hard to manipulate a Cannabis plant to stay short, by tying it down, and cutting it I can keep it small enough to fit inside of a 24" computer tower with the pot it grows in. You must grow an indica dominant plant, because sativa's tend to be lanky, and start it under 12/12 to get it flowering early. I got the biggest kick out of pulling it off the first time. Now, I'm just trying to perfect the technique, am trying to use the SCroG (Screen of Green) right now, but haven't started the plants in it yet, just built the screen. If you check overgrow.com, there are some threads and pictures in the galleries of people growing Cannabis in computer towers. Also, I add tons of Mycorhizzae to my soil for Cannabis, it creates a symbiotic relationship with the roots which allow it to absorb nutrients easily. So I guess Cannabis grows better with mushrooms, and mushrooms grow better with Cannabis. Sweet.

--------------------

Offlinehasan_i_sabah
Leader of theHashishins

#2111084 - 11/16/03 10:18 AM (13 years, 21 days ago)

This is an update to my previous thought. Angryjslice gave me this idea with his post about how the mycelium grows better with a host plant. My original idea was to have to different chambers, one growing Cannabis and the other growing mushrooms, with both venting into each other so the Cannabis would get more CO2 and the Mushrooms would get more Oxygen. Angryjslice I think took it the wrong way and thought that I was going to be growing both in the same place, ha ha ha, silly jslice. But then it hit me, like a lightning bolt to the dome, why not grow them together? The only thing stopping this idea is whether or not the Cannabis could survive the high humidity needed for mushrooms, because they both need the same temperature, and both grow out of soil. So I asked my old friends at overgrow.com some questions, this is the thread http://www.overgrow.com/edge/showthread.php?p=3610061 Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

--------------------

OfflineIcelos
Wanderer
Loc: Ohio
    #2134975 - 11/25/03 02:41 PM (13 years, 12 days ago)

well.. i dont know too too much about growing Marijauna, but lets say, IF you were to have the 2 growing together, perhaps even on the soil after the innoculation and ready for fruiting/pinning stage.. so say, after 2 weeks, mushrooms are depleted, your MJ plant would only be going through a little mistreatment for 2weeks at most(i.e. humidity at 85%).. after those 2 weeks or whatever, couldnt you essential still salvage the plant.. dont know if that would have an impact or not..

but like i said, i dont know too too much, just thinking of logic

--------------------
Split a wood and you'll find me.
Lift a stone and I'm there.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Dessicant, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation