Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: eating healthy on a budget [Re: ApeBaboon]
    #8294430 - 04/17/08 12:03 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

You can eat amazing raw food for $50 a week.  Bunched kale is usually very inexpensive and go great in a salad.  So is pineapple: a lot of bang for your buck.  Bananas are very cheap.  Kiwi's are cheap.  You can get some mung beans and lentils and sprout them right at home.  There are all sorts of options out there; just keep an eye out. 

I understand you're on a budget, but we're talking about your HEALTH here.  You can't buy health, but you can buy the proper food so that you can live in a greater state of health.  When you have a quality diet filled with lots of raw fruit and veg, you'll have more vitality and energy then ever before in your life. 

Your health is definitely worth the investment.  Kudos for making the choice to be more healthy.  :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinealwaysdifferent
neverthesame

Re: eating healthy on a budget [Re: thedefone]
    #8297186 - 04/17/08 05:26 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

^^Butter is not a bad thing, nor is sour cream. Cholesterol and saturated fats are good for you in moderation, as they help to keep you full.

OfflinePupenhause
Toughguy
Male User Gallery

Loc: over here
Re: eating healthy on a budget [Re: alwaysdifferent]
    #8297200 - 04/17/08 05:30 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

its very easy. i can get enough healthy food to last me a week for about $20, and i eat alot. you might have to shop at wal mart though. get the big bag of chicken, whole weat bread, whatever fruit you want, salad, eggs. just look around at what is good for you, and compare the prices. if you want organic stuff, thats definately more expensive, but i try and throw at least one of two organic items in there.

Invisibleawesomebastard
Lost
Male User Gallery

Re: eating healthy on a budget [Re: Pupenhause]
    #8297235 - 04/17/08 05:38 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Ramen noodles, bud and how about some beans and rice.

--------------------
"Absolute certainty is a privilege of uneducated minds and fanatics." ~ C.J. Keyser

Mr. Cypher said: "I just tell the girls how sexy I am and their panties melt."

Invisiblesleepy
zZzZzZzZz
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #8297265 - 04/17/08 05:44 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

sprouts. if you ate lots of sprouts you can eat great and have money left over. a handful of sprouts (costing somewhere between 1 and 10 cents) makes me feel like i've eaten a full meal and tastes really good. they are packed like protein and i dunno how to explain, but lentil sprouts taste like meat.

one tip - its hard when you leave behind the normal diet. so many foods are jacked full of artificial flavorings to make them taste better (to try and get you to buy them again), however, you can survive off of rice and beans and they are super cheap, but at first you wont be able to stand the flavor. its not that they taste bad, its just their flavors are more subtle and since your tastebuds have been desensitized by all the strong stuff they put in food these days, you can't taste them. use salt at first, but you can even leave that behind later, you will be able to taste it more as time goes on.
i don't advocate eating eggs, but if you must, free range organic eggs cost less than 3 dollars a dozen at my Whole Foods store. eat a few pieces of fruit, some organic milk (very cheap), nuts (expensive, but very nutritious, buy them raw), and some rice/bean dishes and you've got all the food you need.

don't buy canned beans or "instant" rice. get rice and bulk food (lentils, split peas, mung beans) at a healthfood store.

if you think the canned kind is more convenient, think...
cooking with beans and rice is easy, just soak them for 12 hours before you cook them and it will cut down on the time and you will feel much better. the more pure the food you eat is, the lighter you will feel.

meat is expensive, if you cant go vegetarian which is alot cheaper, use eggs and milk.

do you spend alot of money on beer? brew your own.

if you are hardcore you can go on a raw diet, which is mostly fruit, sprouts, veggies, nuts. in any case, don't overcook your food, the more you cook (read: heat) your food, the less that food is able to heat your body.

Edited by sleepy (04/17/08 06:02 PM)

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: eating healthy on a budget [Re: sleepy]
    #8297482 - 04/17/08 06:28 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Who cares he's pra banned..

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

OfflineZoroaster
Sumerian Cafe
 User Gallery

Re: eating healthy on a budget [Re: thedefone]
    #8297617 - 04/17/08 06:55 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

i eat breakfast all day because i cook eggs in the morning and then get 50% off at the cafe i work at. breakfast food works for my metabolism, not sure about yours, but its really easy to eath healthy breakfast food. such as oatmeal.

dont get that quaker shit, get some organic oats, and it might seem expensive, but i think we get ours for 5-7 bucks and it lasts all week. just before you go to bed you put oats and salt in the designated amt of water (usually on the back itll say 1cup water per 1/2 cup oats, but if you do it long enough youll get your own method) and then in the morning, you microwave for 3 mins, and then you sweeten/flavor with whatever you want, sugar, agave, honey, cinnamon, fruit. it works and youll be full until at least lunch.

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

#8297670 - 04/17/08 07:07 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I supplement my food with dumpster food.
I'm a freegan, or at least partly.
Food Lion throws out bakery goods, french bagettes, loaves of bread, etc, almost daily. On the day it expires, they load them into a big trash bag and toss them, so they're doubled bagged in the dumpster pretty much. I find bags of apples, sometimes bananas, other stuff too. Recently I found 4 cases of beer and 7 bottles of good imported German wine.
And the best part is its all free.
Just be careful what you take- obviously no meat. I only take things like yogurt if they're still cold.
I personally don't take stuff if its sitting on the bottom of the dumpster, or if it looks wet. Wash it before you eat it, unless its bagged like french bagettes, and wash your hands too.

--------------------
My name is Mud

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds