Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
grow log [pics] - FC fell, mushrooms overcome!
    #8205959 -

update:- April 1 - The cases are nearing the end of their first flush. Still no word from the cakes; I think maybe the brusing from the fall was pretty hard for them. Most current update is here.. If you haven't seen the video from the fall, have a good laugh, but send me good vibes, lol. :smile:

Hello Shroomery! This is going to be a grow log/journal of some mexican and hawaiian cubensis BRF Cakes. I plan to keep posting pictures throughout the grow, so please feel free to subscribe! I'll probably need the help - my goal is to end up with a nice harvest, but to also hopefully provide some good pictures for other first time growers to check out and use as reference (of either what to do, or even what not to do!)


For this first grow, I decided on making some BRF cakes using the pf tek. I ordered spores from Ralph, during the (small) wait period, I gathered all of the equipment.

24 half-pint jars were filled with BRF/verm, with a few centimeters of verm on top. Steam sterilized for 3 hours, left to cool over night. 12 jars were later inoculated with 1cc of hawaiian cubensis, and the other 12 were inoculated with mexican cubensis. Jars were then put into a tub-in-tub incubator, kept at 79* for 3-4 weeks.

Flash forward a bit. The cakes were birthed after 100% colonization. They were dunked in room temperature water for 24 hours. 3 were thrown away due to what looked like contamination (the jars were never opened.) After 10 minutes of dunking, I decided to do a few vermiculite-only casings.  12 cakes were taken out of the dunk bucket and broken into 1 inch pieces. I took aluminum bread tins and filled them with a one inch thick layer of verm that had been wet to "field capacity." Then came a later of broken up mycellium cakes, followed by a light layer of verm, again at field-capacity. The cases were put in large freezer bags and left in a dark, warm closet (at about 68*)

After a few weeks, there was no growth. I realized that my FC wasnt working. After a few posts on the shroomery, I rebuilt the FC, making it much smaller and adding a lot  more perlite. The FC now has about 5in of moist, but not soaking, perlite. There are 1/4in holes drilled through all of the walls, but I still open the top to fan and mist every few hours.

My first pin grew from a cake that I think is infected with trich. I let it grow, but made another post on the shroomery. I removed two casings that were being colonized by some trich. I tried to keep the spores from spreading, hopefully they did. (update: amazingly there have been no recent outbreaks.)

The current state: There has been marvelous pin growth in the last few days, mostly from the cases. All of the cakes seem slightly blue/green, more blue. I think this is bruising, but I dont know. The FC has been stable at about 95% (not optimal, but hard with the recent SNOW!). The temperature stays around 70-72.

Here is a picture of my "old" FC:


I made some changes. Look:

Most of the cases are raised above the perlite on 3 layers of jar lids. I realized that the perlite wasn't really able to keep up the humidity when there was hardly any surface area. It has been much better now though becuase a few of the cases have gone.

This segment of pictures kind of shows the growth of my first pin. I didn't really start taking pictures until it was pretty mature. I guess I should have picked it probably around picture #4, before the spores started to drop. I just wasnt sure what was going on. The blue/purple threw me off!



Anyway, I still picked the mushroom from that cake. I heated up a knife and cut it off. In retrospect, it may have been better to "twist" it off, right? Either way, I dried it out just to do it. In the pictures, you can see that it still has that really dark, black ring around the cap. What is that?

For those of you wondering, its only .2 grams. Even if it would be bigger I am pretty sure I wouldn't want to eat it. :smile:

Keep in mind, that mushroom grew from cakes that I might have trich growing on them. I tried to take a picture of the cake:

Keep or kill?

The trich may have originated from the two cases that I threw away. The cases ended up looking like this:


As you can see by the file name, I at first thought it was cotton mold! *noob mistake?* That case was thrown away, along with another (the trich wasn't as far along.)

So now, I've just left things be. There has been a lot of new pins lately. I am trying to time lapse the growth of one pin colony with an old camera. That'll be sweet! Anyway, here are the pins!



This is an area that has been confusing me. I thought that these were knots (white dots on the left of both pics.) They are milky white, smoothy, "bean" shaped things. Like I said, I'm pretty sure they are knots.


Thanks shroomery!

Let me know if you want more pictures, details, etc.

Edited by shoegazer (04/01/08 10:07 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: growth log -pics, nearing first flush [Re: shoegazer]
    #8206007 -

Never through away, make an outdoor patch instead

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: growth log -pics, nearing first flush [Re: magicbastard]
    #8209930 -

Okay, so it's been a few days and there has been some considerable growth. The temperatures have finally gotten warmer here, so I have a much easier job controlling the temperature and rh.

Updates:
I pulled one off that had started to "flatten out" early from one of the cases. An abort? It was pretty small. I dried it out. My friend ate it (no effects) and he is still alive. That's good to know!
Here are some pictures:


There is also a small "colony" of pins that have started to grow pretty well, as well as two that are probably ready to be picked soon:






@magicbastard, actually, I dumped "under/behind" this big fallen tree outside. Just because I didn't want to throw away a bunch of vermiculite....lol but that doesn't count does it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: growth log -pics, nearing first flush [Re: shoegazer]
    #8213684 -

Update: 10:30am, 3.30
Currently I'm drying two mushrooms picked yesterday afternoon a few hours after my last post. They're already pretty dry - I'm predicting .4-.5 grams each.

This morning I was able to confirm my suspicions that the casings were not completely ready for the FC. Uneven pinsets result! Well, there's no point in being upset about it. That's just another noob mistake that I hope others won't do!




Although, that one with the pins and the adults is kinda cool.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: growth log -pics, nearing first flush [Re: shoegazer]
    #8214847 -

Update: There has been an accident!

I decided to clean up around here, and as I was vacuuming the floor, I happened to look up and see my FC fall!



Apparently, the FC tipped over and fell. As you can see from previous pictures in my grow log, the FC was on top of the container that was used as a glove box, which allowed the FC to be above the nasty floor and even with the window.

I did my best to fix everything. The two casing with the most growth thankfully didn't seem to sustain much damage - all of the pins remained attached to the mycellium chunk they were growing out of. For these cases, I refilled the casing with an even layer of field capacity vermiculite.

The cakes are what I am worried about. Two of the cakes were pretty damaged, so I crumbled them up and formed a new case. Hopefully I'll see some pinning after a few weeks?

Here is the current setup (version three!).



I am going to continue to watch the current mushrooms and hope that by some miracle of ancient fungi power, they continue to grow. The first sign of rotting means I'm going to take them out and dry.


So, what do you guys think now? Is there any hope in salvaging this grow? I'd hate to throw away so much hard work...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: growth log -pics, nearing first flush [Re: shoegazer]
    #8214865 -

awh that sucks balls. might as well let it run its path, no reason to trash it yet

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: growth log -pics, nearing first flush [Re: shoegazer]
    #8214867 -

man I remember cleaning up before a chick was coming over and I was vaccuming and knocked over a fish bowl I put on my weight bench... it broke :frown:


--------------------
coda said:
imachavel, Man you really need to do some reading, the amount of bullshit you put into almost every single one of your posts is absolutely astounding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: growth log -pics, nearing first flush *DELETED* [Re: flavoraid]
    #8214876 -

Post deleted by dumbum39

Reason for deletion: a

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: growth log -pics, nearing first flush [Re: dumbum39]
    #8215138 -

Thanks guys.

I had a video camera in the FC taking continuous video. The batteries/memory card were replaced every few hours.

I have uploaded the video of the fall.
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=4qlgdz&s=3
It's kind of funny, yet still pretty damn sad.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: growth log -pics, nearing first flush [Re: shoegazer] * 1
    #8216871 -

The first mushroom crash caught on tape.


--------------------
MY TRADE LIST!!!

FULLY AUTOMATIC!! 12-Pot Multi Grow Hydroponic System for Trade.


Download PSX ISOs

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: growth log -pics, nearing first flush [Re: legallyhomeless]
    #8220213 -

update! we can recover! Against seemingly impossible odds (well, maybe not) all of the pins have seemed to grow to maturity! Yey!

I am about ready to pick most of them and dry them out. Is it possible that this is the end of a very short flush that was caused by the fall?

Although a few of the casings seem to have new patches of mycelium poking through, which is pretty fast if it's actually mycelium. However, I don't really think that much damage would have been sustained by the mycelium. I was worried about the pins...




Sorry for the bad quality, it's pretty dark and rainy here...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: growth log -pics, nearing first flush [Re: shoegazer]
    #8220250 -

shoegazer said:
Update: There has been an accident!







I do think, at this point in time - the last thing on my mind would be "get a camera! quick!" .. haha. Congrats for presence of mind!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: growth log -pics, nearing first flush [Re: jbl70]
    #8220368 -

it appears the crash shocked the substrate into submission!!

nice video, i laughed my ass off.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: growth log -pics, nearing first flush [Re: jeetered]
    #8220429 -

haha i can just picture a little face on the mushrooms yelling o shit on the way down lol

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: growth log -pics, nearing first flush [Re: delirious89]
    #8220464 -

glad to see you (and your mushrooms) are taking it in stride. i was half-expecting a string of expletives following the crash. i'm sure i would have sworn up a storm.


--------------------
Do you dare to feel responsible for every dollar you lay down
are you going to make the rich man richer
or are you going to stand your ground
You say you want a revolution
a communal evolution
to be a part of the solution
maybe I'll be seeing you around.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: growth log -pics, nearing first flush [Re: fish42]
    #8220776 -

video was sweet, why was it in there in the first place though? were you going to make a time lapse?


--------------------
GGTBod - "Sounds great, get trippin get naked and get animalistic make her laugh and piss all over you, i see no problems here :blush:"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: growth log -pics, nearing first flush [Re: icanttype]
    #8220811 -

icanttype said:
video was sweet, why was it in there in the first place though? were you going to make a time lapse?



Yah, actually. It's a kodak easyshare whose LCD screen cracked, so it's not really good for taking pictures anymore. I just give it batteries and a memory card and take continuous video feed, replacing the batteries and downloading the videos to an external every few hours.

For those wondering, I've got about 5.5 grams dry weight just from 4-5 mushrooms, plus some aborts. It's not alot, but at least it wasn't an epic failure!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: growth log -pics, nearing first flush [Re: shoegazer]
    #8221468 -

nice. when you eat them let us know how they are.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: growth log -pics, nearing first flush [Re: delirious89]
    #8223887 -

lol.. have a nice "trip"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: growth log -pics, nearing first flush [Re: jeetered]
    #8223893 -

well im glad you recovered from that fall, i guess the mycelium is pretty rugged.


--------------------



~Sacredvine @ Sacredvine Music Psytrance Electronic Music..

*      Trade List      *      Strain List      *

:print:VVVV Free Spore Print Thread VVVV:print:

:syringe:VVVV Free Syringe Thread VVVV:syringe:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* slow mycelium growth? (jar pics) Shiznitz 11,134 12 08/01/01 02:39 PM
by aluminum_can
* Is this bubbleous growth normal? (PIC) LTBOOMER 1,067 4 08/18/02 05:21 PM
by Killa420
* Germination vs Mycelium growth temperature? paranoid2 36,709 8 06/14/02 03:16 PM
by LeaveMeAlone
* Using Hummingbird Food for Liquid Growth. I_Fart_Blue 625 1 09/19/02 09:13 AM
by somacraft
* Re: Samui mushroom PIC Crasher 3,528 12 03/28/05 10:04 PM
by Firewolf1327
* ~Shrooms4life's Grow log/ grow along/ Kick back thread~
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 all )
Shrooms4life 25,569 131 07/07/21 02:29 PM
by pikeshroom
* Re: Eq mycelium question (pics) Anonymous 3,950 19 05/27/00 05:08 PM
by Anonymous
* Psilocybe Cubensis Growth Parameters indicaz 2,308 1 06/28/02 04:18 AM
by indicaz

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
8,806 topic views. 20 members, 192 guests and 111 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.