Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineb3jamboree
yes we have no portabellas
Male

Loc: 45th Parallel, MI
Shitake plugs to grain spawn
    #8086264 - 02/29/08 01:49 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

So I recently bought some Shitake plugs from fungi-perfect. I didn't really want to start any logs right now, so I decided to try to grow out some grain spawn to innoc some sawdust bags.

I took a few plugs and threw them onto some sterilized popcorn, did some BFR/sawdust jars, tried a few WBS jars, and threw the rest into a jar with birch chips. The popcorn is doing the best, the WBS contamed, and the BRF is slow going, but I think thats because I have no vermiculite.

The popcorn is almost fully colonized, it smells fine and seems pretty strong. So I'm going to use the half pint of popcorn to innoc a half lb bag of birch dust, bran and gypsum.

My techniques have hardly been sterile, my PC is missing a part and I have been doing all steam baths in my electric fryer. So I guess I'm not 100 percent sure these aren't contamed. I mean they smell sour, like shitake supposedly does. I've smelled many contams before, and this does not smell like one.

Should I just be safe and use the popcorn to grow out woodchips for an outdoor patch, to fruit this spring? I know contams are nothing to be played with and I should watch my ass, but I want shitakes now!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFreeSporePrints
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rome, Italy Flag
Re: Shitake plugs to grain spawn [Re: b3jamboree]
    #8093315 - 03/02/08 11:02 AM (16 years, 30 days ago)

Hi there mate,
i believe you sniffed too much time the grain spawn :smile: Smelling the jars should be a thing to make when you inoculate pasteurized final substrate or if you have a flowhood (but remember..is better to smell less than too much)..however you pasteurized your substrate, didn't sterilized it..so if you want to inoculate some supplemented substrate you'll see a triumph of contaminants.

Remember: keep the mycelium running.

Imagine you're a runner but for a reason or the other you will be closed in your house until next spring, how will be your performances next spring after a stop of some mounths in your house? i imagine not good :smile: ..so the mycelium is the runner and the house is the jar, after a long period of inactivity the mycelium will have a poor performance on the substrate. This is more than true if we compare the short life of the mycelium to the long life of a human (yes, not considering some cases of mycelium long life)

I suggest to soak a LITTLE cardboard of wood plugs (see Mycelium Running by Paul Stamets) with the Fungi Perfecti plugs, watering them quite often, and then inocule an outdoor patch with the new colonized plugs.

If you don't want to "loss" your time keep the plugs in fridge at low temp (4°C). Remember the L.edodes likes cold, so it can fruit on the plugs with an high temp of the fridge.

Fabio

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Shitake plugs to grain spawn [Re: FreeSporePrints]
    #8093472 - 03/02/08 11:52 AM (16 years, 30 days ago)

I would not use the plug spawn to directly inoculate the grain. I would have put the plugs to agar first and then to grain.
You could also have just mixed some freshly boiled new plugs in with the colonized ones.

Shiitake grows super fast when its happy.

If you are stateside and want some shiitake spawn or culture syringe let me know. But you will have to show me a working presure cooker first

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Male User Gallery

Re: Shitake plugs to grain spawn [Re: tahoe]
    #8093755 - 03/02/08 01:38 PM (16 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

I would not use the plug spawn to directly inoculate the grain.

Yes of course, but he already did it  :laugh:

Fabio

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Shitake plugs to grain spawn [Re: FreeSporePrints]
    #8096772 - 03/03/08 09:40 AM (16 years, 29 days ago)

hah, I know. I was just kind of reinforcing that it isn't a great idea. If the plugs are sterile it would work but you never know what happened to it before you got it.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Male User Gallery

Re: Shitake plugs to grain spawn [Re: tahoe]
    #8098074 - 03/03/08 03:24 PM (16 years, 28 days ago)

Of course, holy words, that's the first rule: be sure that a culture you obtained is clean with a transfer on sterile medium.

Fabio

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags