Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
spawning shimeji to sawdust: HELP!
    #1978585 - 10/04/03 07:26 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...part=1&vc=1

sorry to double-post, but i really need help with this. please take a look and if you can help, i'll be eternally grateful. i don't have agar equipment yet, but can gladly offer a teaspoon of colonised wbs in a baggie to someone interested (sterility not guaranteed).

sk :heartpump: 

--------------------
buh

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: spawning shimeji to sawdust: HELP! [Re: shirley knott]
    #1978709 - 10/04/03 09:58 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

What kind of fruiting containers were you planning on using? I've heard of asian growers using bottle cultivation successfully to encourage stem elongation.  Here goes:
1) Mix nine parts sawdust and one part bran (any bran will do)
2) Wet to proper moisture content. 
3) Load no more than 1/2 to 5/8s into quart jars.  Add a teaspoon of gypsum.  Shake to distribute.
4) Sterilize for 2-3 hours.
5) Allow to cool. 
6) Using the Oven Tek or a glovebox, top spawn the jars  to approx. 1-2 inches from the top.
7) Incubate. 

To fruit simply expose to fruiting conditions.  Take the lid off and humidify.  Air exchanges should take place, but high CO2 will encourage stem elongation.

I've been told that this is one of the most delicious mushrooms.  :smile:   

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: spawning shimeji to sawdust: HELP! [Re: YidakiMan]
    #1978726 - 10/04/03 10:18 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

thanks mr didg. do you play, btw? i do, but i could improve plenty  :tongue:

i was gonna do bag cultivation - colonise in bags, then mebbe remove the bag (like shiitake) when 100% and fruit sawdust blocks. right now i have 90/10 sawdust/bran soaking in boiling water in  a bigass trash bag downstairs.

but i hadn't considered the bottle route. if i also try the route you propose (thankyou thankyou  :laugh:) what is 'proper moisture content' in your step 2? and is this one of the species where long necks are encouraged by collars, or something?

my plan now is to do pasteurised bags AND sterilised jars.

--------------------
buh

OfflineMycena
mycoexplorer
Loc: indonesia
    #1978727 - 10/04/03 10:20 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry i cant help. Ive been looking for this species for a while
I have the other one H ulmarius and its unstoppable
I have done awful things to that mushroom and it keeps coming
It really is easier to fruit than oysters IMHO becuase it just fruits when its ready and i havent noticed a difference whether its exposed to light or not, cold shocking is not required. The primordia are fatter than oysters and in the end what counts - taste better than an oyster - maybe not eryngii im looking at them fattening up on my desk now mmmmmm cant wait to try those.
looking at those spawn jars doesnt look like youll have a problem with vigour for H tessulatus anyway.
Ive grown H ulmarius on the following

Chinese Elm logs (Ulmus parvifolia)
Newspaper pellets
Phone books
Eucalyptus sawdust
Straw
Bagasse
Grain
and mixed blocks with up to 40% pine shavings- didnt try higher maybe it can be done.

ive tried supplemented and unsupplemented - all work but yields are better on supplemented.
My favourite way was the logs - innoculated then buried underground ala reishi style. the next Autumn i had clusters emerging - ill put up a pick this one weighed 1.5kg (3.3 lbs)

heres the same thing emerging on straw

id put up more but my computer or the server are playing up

heres the H ulmarius on newspaper pellets - no supplement just grain spawn plus sterilised pellets.On the left is H erinaceus - same style but not as prone to success via my sloppy ways :smile:I like cultivation to be 'an excercise in simplicity' This was done in the open in my kitchen, no peroxide etc.. just clean spawn and sterilised and cooled oven bags of paper

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: spawning shimeji to sawdust: HELP! [Re: Mycena]
    #1978730 - 10/04/03 10:27 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

thanks mycena. can you elaborate on why some species should be kept in the bag growing through holes, and others plastic-removed? intrigues me - i've grown oysters both ways now, and when the plastic was stripped away they just had long stems and hardly any 'plate'.

any help welcomed. and if you want a sample of this, just ask.

--------------------
buh

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #1978930 - 10/04/03 12:14 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I used to play, but I could never get circular breathing down.  This summer I traded by eucalyptus didg for a some very nice glassware.  :smile:

When I get my hands on this species I was planning an experiment.  Using fully colonized supplemented sawdust blocks, I was planning on using a two or three inch long section of 3 inch diameter PVC pipe.  My hypothesis is the pipe will create a microclimate of high CO2, similar to the way enoki growers use paper collars. 

Proper moisture content is 65%-75%, but I am not sure I am at my parents house right now and I don't have my books.  It should be damp, but even with a firm squeeze it should not drip.   

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies