Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineYrat
Hello

Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: SheikCorp]
    #7956432 - 01/30/08 04:38 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

certainly when burning :smile: that's known as heat and light...

but certainly not when sitting in a bag at the hardware store

--------------------
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root."
-Henry David Thoreau
Strike The Root

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMr E Guest
partly animal
 User Gallery

Loc: 404: not found Flag
Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: JaComet]
    #7968483 - 02/02/08 12:28 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Charcoal, as you may have noticed, is black. This means it absorbs visible radiation. This means it is gaining energy from its surroundings. This energy must be re-emitted somehow. I doubt it's being re-emitted as x-rays or in the ultraviolet part of the EM spectrum...

Charcoal is not just any old black powder but, owing to its structure, is likely to display some special properties. The two main things relating to the structure of charcoal in this respect are:

*its very large surface area; and

*its delocalised electrons (resulting from the graphite-like arrangement of the carbon atoms within the separate particles.)

Don't be so hasty to scoff at things beyond the realms of your day-to-day understanding!

--------------------
Be joyful. This could be the only chance you get.

All of the above posts are the fevered imaginings of a deluded mind, itself entirely the fictional creation of a somewhat peculiar author with a bizarre sense of humour.

OfflineYrat
Hello

Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: Mr E Guest]
    #7977235 - 02/04/08 10:47 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Trust me, this is way beneath my every day understanding as I work in the field of electromagnetic radiation.

It is true that materials that appear black do so because they absorb all incoming visible light. And yes, it is true that in most cases this is released as IR radiation in the form of heat. Think of asphalt or a black t-shirt in the hot summer sun. However, the original post is misleading in that it preaches constant IR radiation from steady state charcoal. Not possible.

Through combination of the reasoning of the original post and yours, all black materials should be anti-bacterial in nature solely because of their lack of color.

--------------------
-Henry David Thoreau
Strike The Root

OfflineShivaMeme
Stranger thanFiction
Male User Gallery

Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: Yrat]
    #7977412 - 02/04/08 11:39 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Carbon-14 is well known for its radioactive decay. It has a half-life of 5730 years apparently and is abundant everywhere on earth. (ubiquitous) I can imagine there is some carbon-14 in charcoal and perhaps other elements that are undergoing decay at some very small rate.

And as for rest mass, radioactive decay does actually reduce it. It's a slow transition from matter to energy.

--------------------
The curse of Genius is the constant scrutiny of lesser minds...
The curse of Stupidity is the constant delusion of Genius...
The curse of Insanity is the constant perception of scrutiny...

Keirsey Temperament: ENTP (Take it Here)

OfflineYrat
Hello

Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: ShivaMeme]
    #7977756 - 02/04/08 01:52 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, there is carbon14 in charcoal, as well as in every other substance that has carbon. This is the fundamental principle of carbon dating. If it were radioactive decay of carbon-14 that was responsible for any type of antibiotic activity of charcoal, then most materials on earth would have the same antibiotic properties.

Again, I'm not doubting charcoal's effectiveness as an additive to cultures. Maybe it even has some type of antibiotic properties. This in itself seems extremely suspect though, since it is used widely in all types of filters, including those for fish tanks where a large community of bacteria is required simply to process ammonia waste and allow the fish to survive. I'm just saying that any anti-bacterial properties it MAY have are not due to any sort of steady state electromagnetic radiation.

Besides, the frequencies that vibrate water molecules are way up in the microwave region of the EM spectrum, not the IR. This is how your "microwave oven" works.

--------------------
-Henry David Thoreau
Strike The Root

OfflineShivaMeme
Stranger thanFiction
Male User Gallery

#7978146 - 02/04/08 03:39 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Yrat said:
charcoal emits IR radiation? lol???

i am not doubting the benefits of charcoal to culture growth, but that is some serious bs.

charcoal just happens to emit electromagnetic radiation while it just sits around? Where does it get this energy from? Show me some charcoal glowing on an IR (nightvision) camera and I will be astounded.

You changed your argument parameters...

No, I don't believe radioactive decay produces enough heat to come close to pasteurization...

So the reason it helps is almost certainly due to alterations of PH and other chemical contributions. Activated carbon binds to certain chemicals that may be toxic to mycelium such as chlorine or metabolites of other micro-organisms.

--------------------
The curse of Genius is the constant scrutiny of lesser minds...
The curse of Stupidity is the constant delusion of Genius...
The curse of Insanity is the constant perception of scrutiny...

Keirsey Temperament: ENTP (Take it Here)

OfflineYrat
Hello

Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: ShivaMeme]
    #7978506 - 02/04/08 04:49 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not sure where you see my argument changing, the only thing I argued against was the emission of IR radiation from charcoal.

I agree with you that it helps in some unknown chemical way, possibly trace minerals or other contributions that you suggested.

I just wanted to refute this bogus claim:

Quote:

JaComet said:
Some charcoal gives off far-infrared radiation. Not just while it is burning, it radiates all the time. Far-infrared = thermal radiation.

Heated and evaporated water readily absorbs infrared radiant energy at 3, 4.5 and 6 µm.

I suggest this radiation can affect water in bacterial cells, killing them.

Bamboo Charcoal has the possibly unique properties of emitting infrared rays in the range between 4 and 16µm, even at room temperature.

Remember you heard it here first. JaComet

--------------------
-Henry David Thoreau
Strike The Root

OfflineMr E Guest
partly animal
 User Gallery

#7990922 - 02/07/08 09:42 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Yrat said:

I just wanted to refute this bogus claim:
Quote:

Quote:
    JaComet said:
    Some charcoal gives off far-infrared radiation. Not just while it is burning, it radiates all the time. Far-infrared = thermal radiation.

Heated and evaporated water readily absorbs infrared radiant energy at 3, 4.5 and 6 µm.

I suggest this radiation can affect water in bacterial cells, killing them.

Bamboo Charcoal has the possibly unique properties of emitting infrared rays in the range between 4 and 16µm, even at room temperature.

Remember you heard it here first. JaComet

Which bogus (spurious?) claim were you wanting to refute (deny?)?

• >Bamboo Charcoal has the possibly unique properties of emitting infrared rays in the range between 4 and 16µm, even at room temperature.

or

• >this radiation can affect water in bacterial cells, killing them.

I thought the claim about IR emission from bamboo charcoal was in an article in a respected journal, and the research was performed in a Japanese government institute. Or am I getting my wires crossed again?

Quote:

Trust me, this is way beneath my every day understanding as I work in the field of electromagnetic radiation.

I'm sorry to hear that. What are you, a photographer? A cook? A cellphone engineer? A tanning salon operator? A radiographer? An astronomer? It's a very big field... :sun:

Quote:

Through combination of the reasoning of the original post and yours, all black materials should be anti-bacterial in nature solely because of their lack of color.

And what about:

Quote:

*its very large surface area; and

*its delocalised electrons (resulting from the graphite-like arrangement of the carbon atoms within the separate particles.)?

Sorry I haven't stated my reasoning more clearly for you. As far as electronic properties of charcoal go, it does have reactive sites as a result of lattice defects. These sites may contribute to the supposed antibacterial effect through free-radical type reactions, which are known to cause cell death. I'd also urge the consideration of how a covalent molecular substance with delocalised electrons might emit electromagnetic radiation in a seemingly anomalous fashion. Even in the dark. You fell for the "it's black" trap!

I think the adsorptive capabilities of activated charcoal certainly play a role in its culture supporting properties. Perhaps there are some other adsorbants that could tested to look for a similar action in supporting culture growth. These materials could also have their IR output (if any) measured. Somebody please give me a laboratory (and a budget!)...

--------------------

All of the above posts are the fevered imaginings of a deluded mind, itself entirely the fictional creation of a somewhat peculiar author with a bizarre sense of humour.

Edited by Mr E Guest (02/07/08 03:01 PM)

OfflineYrat
Hello

#7991561 - 02/07/08 12:44 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I work in the field of biochemistry in a lab that specializes in fluorescence, bioluminescence, and IR and UV spectroscopy.

I am trying to disprove the claims that charcoal emits IR radiation, AND that any antibacterial activity of charcoal is due to such radiation.

Going back to the original post, the only journal articles cited are those that show evidence for far-infrared radiation as an effective form of pasteurization. The original author is the one that claims charcoal somehow magically emits IR radiation, and further claims this to be possibly responsible for antibacterial properties. This is the claim I do not believe.

If charcoal does indeed have antibiotic properties due to IR radiation or free-radicals, then we would expect it to inhibit fungal growth as well. There should be no reason either of these properties would effect bacteria and not fungi. We know that heat (far-IR) is an effective form of killing BOTH bacterial and fungal spores and cells (pasteurization, sterilization) and free-radicals (super-oxide anions in hydrogen peroxide) are damaging to both as well.

If RR's observation that charcoal agar plates inhibit bacterial but not fungal growth are indeed true, there is some unknown mechanism taking place accounting for such activity.

--------------------
-Henry David Thoreau
Strike The Root

OfflineMr E Guest
partly animal
 User Gallery

#7992014 - 02/07/08 02:43 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Yrat - Thanks for clarifying! Any thoughts as a spectroscopist on the
[activated charcoal's] "delocalised electrons (resulting from the graphite-like arrangement of the carbon atoms within the separate particles)" question? As I envisage it, this would give rise to the possibility of absorption of a wide range of frequencies of EM radiation and the subsequent re-emission at other frequencies (e.g. between 4 and 16µm). Activated charcoal is a unique substance, after all.

I don't mean to be wishy-washy here - I think these observations are very interesting and deserve to be thoroughly followed up. Sounds like you'd even be in a position to do so, Yrat.

--------------------

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #7994309 - 02/07/08 10:48 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Not another charcoal thread! Why not just post this in the last charcoal thread.

The claim of IR from charcoal is simply ridiculous.

The basis of charcoal having any effect upon germinating seeds or spores is that it absorbs inhibitory compounds present. Perhaps this even applies to absorbing some wastes.

But we have people here basically claiming that it's magic. That it emits some sort of mystery radiation that does everything from curing baldness to inhibiting bacteria. That's just plain foolishness.

Others here in the several other charcoal threads have claimed poor results from using it. So it's benefits are dubious and specialized, if indeed there are any at all.

-FF

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

Loc: Out Yonder
Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: fastfred]
    #8016404 - 02/13/08 06:37 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Let’s see if I can add a few things.

Bamboo Charcoal is not the only IR emitting natural substance on the planet. Jade and Tourmaline come to mind. There’s not a lot of information about this IR Emission phenomenon on the net. At least not in English. Majority of research comes from Japan and Taiwan. A few ( ahem ) “Qualified” papers are available for purchase through the net. Useful abstracts are not readily available.

Here’s a few more bits gleaned with my notes below.
===

[0006] The carbon atom, a major constituent of charcoal, has 6 protons in the nucleus and 6 electrons, with 4 valence electrons in the outermost orbital thereof, and has low reactivity so that it neither loses nor gains electrons easily. Meanwhile, because charcoal has free electrons remaining unbound to atoms, it is electrically conductive and can form a magnetic field so as to provide electrons to the immediate surroundings. In addition, charcoal contains a large amount of minerals to keep the adjacent environment in a negative ion state. These anions emitted from charcoal increase the voltage across cellular membranes, allowing waste substances to be discharged from cells. In addition to five major minerals, such as calcium, potassium, iron, phosphorus, and sodium, charcoal contains copper, zinc, manganese, magnesium, chrome, molybdenum, etc., which are useful for aging prevention, blood coagulation prevention, and recovery from fatigue. Charcoal is a potent far infrared radiator whose infrared rays can minutely vibrate water and protein molecules at a frequency of 2000/min. Thus, when exposed to such infrared rays, cells are activated to promote cellular metabolism and spontaneously discharge waste substances therefrom.

[0007] In addition, charcoal shows an anti-microbial and anti-oxidant activity to inhibit the growth of microorganisms and a reduction activity to improve the freshness of neighboring materials. Charcoal also has various functions such as purifying water, generating anions to filter air, absorbing positrons, which are odorizing factors, to remove unpleasant odors, and eliminating toxic materials, such as nicotine, and pollutants, such as automobile emissions,

http://www.freshpatents.com/Packaging-method-for-removing-off-odors-from-irradiated-foods-using-charcoal-dt20070322ptan20070062155.php?type=description
===

Nano Far Infrared Ray Yarn
What is

FIR fiber is the abbreviation for Far Infra-Red Radiation fiber. The wavelength of the FIR ray emitted by this kind of fiber material is 4~14 μm. FIR ray falling under such wave band is not only harmless to health but also quite easily absorbable by human body.

FIR ray can trigger the resonance of water molecules in human body and in turn activate the water molecules adhered to cell surface, increase the friction among molecules, and lead to the formation of thermal effect.

http://www.newfibers.com.tw/
===

Far Infra Red Systems

A number of systems include the use of Far Infra Red Energy. This is a completely natural form of energy that emanates from certain minerals, the most effective being the semi-precious gem, Tourmaline. Other minerals are used, often under proprietary brand exotic names, to enhance their perceived ability. Far Infra Red energy (FIR) has the ability to soften water, to negatively charge it, and to restructure it into smaller molecular clusters which may assist in hydration of the body. Most systems use FIR by including it in the replaceable filter.

http://www.servintonline.com/watermanagement/Newsletter/vol1iss3filterstype.htm
===

Eco-fabric possesses the following properties:

1. Absorption and emission of Far Infrared Radiation
Bamboo-carbon nano particles can absorb far infrared radiation from the environment, and emit them to help in cell activation, promotes blood circulation and metabolism in the long run.

2. Antibacterial and antifungal
Bamboo thrives naturally without using any pesticide and bamboo-carbon nano particles still retains its natural antibacterial and antifungal functions, bacteriostasis and deodorization.

http://www.newlook.com.sg/ecofabric.asp
===

Woodceramics are porous carbon materials produced by high temperature carbonization of woody materials impregnated with phenol-formaldehyde (PF) resin. Useful properties include low density, hardness, corrosion resistance. They possess far-infrared ray emission and thermal characteristics.

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-5695882/Far-infrared-ray-emission-and.html#abstract
===

Notes : ( Comments )

can form a magnetic field so as to provide electrons to the immediate surroundings

increase the voltage across cellular membranes, allowing waste substances to be discharged from cells
( Increases membrane transporation through increased electrical potential )

minerals keep the adjacent environment in a negative ion state
( Neg Ion = anti-bacterial )

potent far infrared radiator whose infrared rays can minutely vibrate water and protein molecules at a frequency of 2000/min. Thus, when exposed to such infrared rays, cells are activated to promote cellular metabolism and spontaneously discharge waste substances
( better digestion of substrate )

anti-microbial and anti-oxidant activity to inhibit the growth of microorganisms

can trigger the resonance of water molecules in human body and in turn activate the water molecules adhered to cell surface
( effects inter as well as extra cellular water )

soften water, to negatively charge it, and to restructure it into smaller molecular clusters which may assist in hydration
( lower surface tension / wetter water )

Most systems use FIR by including it in the replaceable filter.
( Water purification industry uses FIR emitting sources in mechanical filter systems )

bamboo-carbon nano particles still retains its natural antibacterial and antifungal functions, bacteriostasis

( Additionally ) :

Woodceramics possess far-infrared ray emission and thermal characteristics.
( Gotta look into this ceramic )
===

Now, in my ( subjective ) experience :

The anti-fungal properties of bamboo charcoal extend only to the lower fungi. Mushrooms will benefit in agar where yeasts appear to suffer.

Adding any type of cellulose based charcoal to substrates and casing layers apparently aids in water transportation through the mycelia mat and fruiting body. Statements above concerning water “softening”, “molecular size” and “cellular metabolism” support my thesis.

Non cellulose based “Activated” charcoal ( Coke, coal tar, etc ) do not appear to exhibit the beneficial properties obtained with cellulose materials.

--------------------

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #8020260 - 02/13/08 10:55 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

There seems to be a few misunderstandings in your thesis. Energy can be neither created nor destroyed. Emission of infrared radiation is only what it absorbs. e.g. it absorbs and radiates heat effectively. Anything that is black will absorb infrared easily, and many materials also radiate it effectively. IR can be absorbed and then radiated at different frequencies, so I suppose you could argue something to that effect, but you'd only be digging a hole IMO.

Thus there is nothing to this IR BS.

As far as anti-microbial activity... carbon is inert. It may absorb chemicals from the environment, but has no real activity of it's own. Any reduction in microbial growth is likely due to absorption of nutrients or growth factors. Thus it does nothing to kill any microbes, but it might slow some down for a little while. Thus it might be useful in some circumstances, but counting on it as an anti-microbial agent is not wise.

Charcoal may be useful in some circumstances, and this has been documented and reported in various sources, but it really seems like you're trying to make this into some sort of magical pseudo-science theory.

-FF

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: fastfred]
    #8026017 - 02/15/08 06:45 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Well Neighbors,

How about this source for some confirmation?
===

Bamboo charcoal inhibits growth of HeLa cells in vitro.

raoka F, Hamada Y, Takahashi J.

Division of Oromaxillofacial Regeneration, Course for Integrated Oral Sciences and Stomatology, Osaka University Graduate School of Dentistry, 1-8 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan. terachan@dent.osaka-u.ac.jp

The purpose of this work was to investigate the far infrared spectral characteristics of bamboo charcoal powder and its effect on cancer cells for use in the dental field. To analyze the effects of the powder, HeLa and WI-38 cells were used and then assessed by cell adhesion assay and WST-1 assay. The powder emitted far infrared rays at wavelengths between 4 to 16 microm. The multiplication rate of WI-38 cells showed no significant differences between the conventional culture (control group) and culture on the powder (FIR group). However, at six days after incubation, HeLa cells of FIR group had a significantly lower multiplication rate compared with the control group. Based on the far infrared rays emitted in this study, bamboo charcoal powder proved to be a promising dental filler material for cancer prevention.

PMID: 15688731 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez
===

FIR emitting substances and compounds there of, are in practical application in the water filter industry. Tourmaline is used.

I will accept the Japanese , Taiwanese, Korean and Chinese research, and practical applications, as valid.

I don’t much know what else to say.

--------------------

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

#8031012 - 02/16/08 12:12 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

I want to thank the nay-sayers for providing me the impetus to study this FIR phenomenon in greater depth. ( That and the new DSL service in my hills )

The bottom line is FIR “Emitting” substances function by converting thermal energy to FIR. At least in the realm of mineral ceramic and fiber composites. I’m still searching to find if Bamboo Charcoal functions in this way.

Peace.

--------------------

OfflineYrat
Hello

#8031346 - 02/16/08 02:28 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

JaComet,

This "re-emitted" FIR seems likely to be another form of thermal energy, meaning your charcoal absorbs heat, and re-emits it.... just like pretty much everything else out there.

Perhaps you could find somewhere that defines wavelength in terms of heat. I looked quickly but am in a rush, and couldn't find anything.

--------------------
-Henry David Thoreau
Strike The Root

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: Yrat] * 1
    #8033901 - 02/17/08 07:51 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Greetings Yrat,

> “wavelength in terms of heat”. Perhaps a little later. For now I’m beginning to understand this ( Maybe ).

Short of it : Bamboo Charcoal acts like a transducer. Thermal to Photonic.

The Long of it ( my current take on the matter ) :

Bamboo Charcoal may be considered a matrix of Carbon Nanotubes permeating the crystal lattice structure of reduced plant material.

Heat / Thermal Transference = changing Phonon Resonance (1) of lattice crystals ( hexagon molecules ) = Vibrating Nanotubes ( Natural Photonic-Crystal fiber ? ) exhibiting specific band gaps or stop bands inherent in the lattice‘s sympathetic / harmonic response curve, as well as the micron diameter / proportion of the tubules ( wave guide ? ).

There is an additional probability of Photonic Emission (2) stimulated by perturbing photons from ambient Electro Magnetic Flux ( Solar Radiations / Ion-Acoustic wave ? ). If so, this would produce a net gain in number of photons emitted.

Charcoals FIR Emission being combined / confined frequency band of harmonic potentials inherent in the charcoals lattice, and / or perturbed photons, focused / directed down the tubule ( resonating chamber / tuning port ? )

(1) Phonon : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonons

(2) Photonics : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photonic
===

TA - DA !! ( or maybe not ) Who’d uh thunk I’d end up in Quantum Optics ? Or is it Sympathetic Vibratory Physics ?

You’ll have to excuse me if I went far a field to develop this understanding. I am an Eclectic Empiricist, after all.

Peace.

--------------------

Edited by JaComet (02/17/08 03:26 PM)

Offlineworowa
Professor
 User Gallery
    #8056685 - 02/22/08 02:18 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Very interesting JaComet!

Glad you're not disheartened by detractors.

I wonder if music has any effect on micro-organisms, fungi, and indeed on the properties of charcoal?

--------------------
We are all in this together.
Visit my site, forestfungi.com.au, let me know what you think.

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: worowa]
    #8059425 - 02/23/08 07:02 AM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Greetings worowa,

Quote:

worowa said:

I wonder if music has any effect on micro-organisms, fungi, and indeed on the properties of charcoal?

I'd say “Yes”, but not in this thread.

I expect to see use of charcoal in agriculture increase world wide. Specifically “Biochar”, that is, low temp charcoaling of various plant materials. The Bamboos are high temp fired.

Research shows Biochar to be a premier habitat for beneficial soil organisms. Trials have run from field crops to carefully cultured Orchids. I see where a little charcoal in pasteurized mushroom substrate would be prudent.

Peace.

--------------------

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9543562 - 01/04/09 12:32 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Call me a crazy old coot, but I do enjoy research.

I contend the Infrared emitting properties of Bamboo Charcoal aid mycelial development through suppression of bacterial growth and promotion of  cellular metabolism and tissue generation/regeneration.

Mycelial vigor may be affected by the dielectric properties of various vegetable charcoal added to substrates and casing materials.
-----------------------------------------

Nanotubes shown to boost neuron signals
http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=212700093

PORTLAND, Ore. — A team of researchers in Italy and Switzerland found carbon nanotubes to be a biocompatible material that can be attached to specific neurons to enhance their natural signal-processing capabilities.

"Our findings show that carbon nanotubes, which are as good an electrical signal conductor as the nerve cells of our brain, form intimate mechanical contacts with the cellular membranes, establishing a functional link to neuronal structures," said University of Trieste (Italy) professor Laura Ballerini.

Many studies over the last few years have demonstrated that carbon nanotubes can improve the health of neural networks by promoting cell attachment, differentiation and growth.
-----------------------------------------------------

Microbial Neural Network: Artificial Intelligence from Fungi
http://www.montegen.com/html/body_a_multifunctional_biochip.htm

ANALOGIES BETWEEN NEURON NETWORK AND MYCELIUM. Typical neuron consists of the cell body, branching dendrites, (NOTE: i.e. rizmorphic) one axon with collaterals. The neurons are connected between themselves throughout stimulating and braking synapses. The natural NN-like mycelial network also has interhyphae electric contacts. It is proposed that these contacts hyperpolarize or depolarize the membrane potential in the apical region of hyphae as the consequences of disposition of electric contacts from the apices and syncronism of polarity of electric fields applied to contacting mycelia. Individual mycelia may be considered as neuron-like biological element of neurocomputer. The difference between neuron and mycelium is in great number of mycelial exit channels. Natural neural networks and mycelial networks are very similar systems. Taking into account the technological possibility to cultivate the fungal mycelium and to connect them with any electric system, it would be interesting to create the hybrid of FAI and computer-enhanced learning and working system.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I wonder where the negative ion potential of Bamboo Charcoal fits into this.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags