Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules, CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

Loc: Out Yonder
Charcoal’s Secret : * 5
    #6024742 - 09/03/06 01:51 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Charcoal’s Secret :

Somewhere in Stamets’ work, and possibly on the boards, I noted that charcoal may be helpful where spores are difficult to start. Adding charcoal to culture media seems to be beneficial. I don’t know what it does but I do know a bit about charcoals.

Charcoal has a secret. Not a secret really, just largely unrecognized outside of Asia. Some charcoal gives off far-infrared radiation. Not just while it is burning, it radiates all the time. Far-infrared = thermal radiation. Some charcoals even emit negative ions. With this in mind, let’s look at how we may employ it’s unique properties.

First let’s look at regular and "activated" charcoal.

Regular charcoal is produced where hardwoods, sawdust, bone char, coconut shells, peat, coal or petroleum coke are fired in an enclosed burning environment. Restricting the amount of air provided to the burn runs off the water and volatile organic constituents in the wood, leaving blackened chunks of carbon mixed with traces of minerals from the original material.

Activated charcoal is made by taking regular charcoal and re-firing it with introduction of air blast, steam, oxygen or other gases to corrode the interior cell structure, creating a more porous structure. Activated charcoal attracts and retains organic matter run through it, as well as mechanically trapping particulate matter. These properties make it useful in a variety of applications, notably in water filtering.

Now let’s look at infrared radiation and wavelengths.

When regular charcoal is burnt infrared radiation is released. This penetrating thermal radiation is what makes charcoal grilled foods different from flame grilled or broiled. The food is cooked on the inside by the radiation, reducing cooking time and sealing in juices as the out side is sealed by charring.

As stated earlier some charcoals give off infrared radiation all the time. Activated charcoal may give off infrared. I don’t know. I expect this property may be dependent on the starting materials, but I’ve not found any information in these regards.

Now here is where things get interesting.

+++
Journal of Chemical Engineering of Japan, vol 25 no 3 pp 275-281(1992) [Japanese]

EFFECT OF FAR-INFRARED IRRADIATION ON PASTEURIZATION OF BACTERIA SUSPENDED IN LIQUID MEDIUM BELOW LETHAL TEMPERATURE

ATSUSHI HASHIMOTO, JUN SAWAI, HIDEO IGARASHI AND MASARU SHIMIZU

Department of Chemical Engineering, Division of Chemical & Biological Science and Techr Tokyo University of Agriculture & Technology, Tokyo 184

The purpose of this study is to examine the influence of far-infrared irradiation on pasteurization of bacteria suspended in liquid medium below the lethal temperature. Under this condition, Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus are injured and killed by far-infrared irradiation. With increase in irradiation power and with decrease in depth of the suspension, the ratio of the number of injured cells to the number of viable cells becomes higher, and the number of viable cells becomes smaller. Moreover, the pasteurization effect can be enhanced by raising the bulk temperature of the suspension. By estimating the temperature distribution within the suspension, it is suggested that the test bacteria are injured and killed in the very thin domain near the surface of the suspension.

+++

Journal of Chemical Engineering of Japan, vol 25 no 6 pp 666-671(1992) [Japanese]

FAR-INFRARED IRRADIATION EFFECT ON PASTEURIZATION OF BACTERIA ON OR WITHIN WET-SOLID MEDIUM

ATSUSHI HASHIMOTO, HIDEO IGARASHF AND MASARU SHIMIZU

Department of Chemical Engineering, Division of Chemical & Biological Science and Technology, Tokyo University of Agriculture & Technology, Tokyo 184

The present purpose is to study the influence of far-infrared irradiation on pasteurization of Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus on or within a model for wet-solid food. Agar medium was used as the food model. By determining the thermal resistances of the test bacteria, the pasteurization effect of far-infrared irradiation (radiative heating) was compared with that of hot-air heating (a conventional method) from the viewpoint of thermal death kinetics. It was found experimentally that far-infrared irradiation is more effective than hot-air heating for the test bacteria on the agar-plate. Moreover, it is suggested that the surface temperature of the pasteurization sample irradiated by far-infrared radiation is higher than that measured by the thermocouples.

+++

So, what does all this have to do with anything?

Heated and evaporated water readily absorbs infrared radiant energy at 3, 4.5 and 6 µm.
I suggest this radiation can affect water in bacterial cells, killing them.

Enter Bamboo Charcoal!

Bamboo Charcoal has the possibly unique properties of emitting infrared rays in the range between 4 and 16µm, even at room temperature, along with negative ions and canceling electromagnetic ( EM ) radiation. Negative ions also disable or kill bacteria.

A Russian research team headed by A L. Tchijevski found an exponential bacteria decay rate of 78 percent per minute in negatively charged air environments. The team concluded negative ions killed the bacteria. Other studies indicate negative ions also kill or disable viruses and fungus spores.

But why are ions therapeutic? Partly because they kill germs. Back in the 1930s. a Russian team headed by A L. Tchijevski found that large ion doses of either polarity retarded bacteria colony formation on plates. Ionization also sterilized enclosed air. Latter experiments duplicating Tchijevski's work noted an exponential bacteria decay rate of 23 percent per minute for untreated air 34 percent per minute for air with pos-ions. and 78 percent per minute for negatively charged air. They concluded that the pos-ion decay rate was due to simple bonding or the ions with the bacteria, whereas the neg-ions actually killed them.

Some studies suggest that negative ions also have a biological effect on bacteria and viruses, killing them on contact in many cases.

Bamboo Charcoal is much more porous than other types, typically reaching surface areas of 300 to 700 square meters per gram. Wood charcoals area is around 30 square meters per gram. Coconut shell is somewhat higher. Bamboo Charcoal therefore is superior in many respects for filtration and absorption.

Bamboo Charcoal is high density and is very porous. It soaks up and releases moisture helping to maintain equilibrium. It is also a rich source of trace minerals, which it releases slowly to water.

Biological organisms absorb infrared in the 8-14 um range utilizing the energy for a variety of metabolic processes.

Enough for now. Ponder how you might add this knowledge to your culture techniques, keeping in mind that liquid cultures may benefit where spores may not.

More to come as my trials continue.

Remember you heard it here first. JaComet

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: JaComet] * 1
    #6024792 - 09/03/06 02:13 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Interesting stuff. I add activated charcoal to my agar when doing specialty experiments such as germinating very old spores or crossing strains. I've noticed healthier mycelium when grown on activated charcoal, but not necessarily faster or more growth.

I've also noticed a decrease in bacterial contamination when charcoal is used, and bacterial colonies that do get started, seem to stall out after a couple of days, then are overran by the mycelium.

I doubt it's the small amount of infrared that is suppressing the bacteria, but who knows?

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6024829 - 09/03/06 02:29 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Hey RR,

Thanks for your input.

I've been wondering if the effect on lower fungi/mold spores is the same as higher fungi. I kind of doubt it from what I've researched.

Bamboo Charcoal has definable heating properties. A whole industry has grown up around it. Foot pads to keep tootsies toasty. Bed covers for the same. Even impregnated fiber clothing. One source even goes so far as to claim charcoal long underwear is helpful in Lyme disease and other skin conditions.

I'm a bit of a Woo-Woo, but this stuff has been interesting to work with.

Peace.

--------------------

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Carbon based lifeform
Male User Gallery
Loc: Rome, Italy Flag
Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: JaComet]
    #6268121 - 11/10/06 09:37 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Hi there,
i'd like to know the recipe for activated charcoal agar and if this tip is okay for all the kinds of agar.

Thank you.

Fabio :thumbup:

Offlinevinzy_a
Stranger
Male
Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: FreeSporePrints]
    #6268150 - 11/10/06 09:56 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

that's awesome!
il keep my eye on this thread;
we have some coir with charcoal here in our hardware stores!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: vinzy_a] * 1
    #6268170 - 11/10/06 10:05 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I add about a tablespoon (7 to 10 grams) to one liter of Agar. Be sure to powder the charcoal first. I use a bowl and pestle.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Carbon based lifeform
Male User Gallery
    #6268196 - 11/10/06 10:14 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

RR your is simple charcoal or activated charcoal.

i've found a recipe that say to add 1 gr of activated charcoal to one liter of agar.

Thank you.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: FreeSporePrints] * 1
    #6268222 - 11/10/06 10:23 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

It's activated charcoal. I got it at a pet store for use in aquarium filters. I never saw a recipe before using it. I just tried with a tablespoon of chacoal and it worked out ok. It makes the agar darker so the mycelium is easier to see too.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#6268361 - 11/10/06 11:20 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

If I'm not mistakin I believe that Monster Mich adds activated charcoal to his LC recipe and if Monster Mich uses it than its good stuff,He has been one of if not the most helpful person here to me and he knows what hes doing

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: Blutjager]
    #6271185 - 11/11/06 07:39 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Way to go RR. Right friendly looking plate ya got there!

I've been adding about one tablespoon Bamboo Charcoal powder per two quarts of WBS-Poo sub for LC in jars. Like what I've seen so far in overall vigor and contam resistance when mycelial mat is injured.

I've used horticultural charcoal in casing mixes at up to 10% by volume. My biased, or at least subjective observation is FCs just smell / sense fresher over course of fruiting period.

Currently looking deeper into UV and Ion output of different materials. Looks like coconut husk is a candidate. Maybe Oak as well though not as porous or renewable as BC or CNut.

It's all Good.

--------------------

OfflineFreeSporePrints
Carbon based lifeform
Male User Gallery
    #6271192 - 11/11/06 07:52 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I've found activated charcoal at the pet store but my final media wasn't dark as the RR's photo (unlucky i've made this last media too much fast so had problems with drops and with the activated charcoal unlike-powder).

I believe that a table spoon is too much, but i want try different amounts :smile:

Fabio :sun:

ps. i like vented plates! :smile:

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
    #6271308 - 11/11/06 09:34 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

charcoal gives off far-infrared radiation. Not just while it is burning, it radiates all the time.

can you cite/link to some documentation on the emission of IR by charcoal ?

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: Hippie3]
    #6278030 - 11/13/06 08:40 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Hippie 3,

Very little published in this area, ripe for experimentation. The majority of web references to IR emission and Charcoal comes from people merchandising alternative health items.

Not much info available on the web. At least in English. Most of the "orthodox" research is from Japan with China following. Bits and pieces can be found such as

+++
Bamboo Charcoal Inhibits Growth of HeLa Cells In Vitro

http://wwwsoc.nii.ac.jp/jsdmd/2004/23-4ee-30.html

Fumio TERAOKA, Yoshinosuke HAMADA and Junzo TAKAHASHI
Division of Oromaxillofacial Regeneration, Course for Integrated Oral Sciences and Stomatology, Osaka University Graduate School of Dentistry, 1-8 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka, 565-0871, Japan
Corresponding author, E-mail : terachan@dent.osaka-u.ac.jp

Dent Mater J 23(4): 633-637
The purpose of this work was to investigate the far infrared spectral characteristics of bamboo charcoal powder and its effect on cancer cells for use in the dental field. To analyze the effects of the powder, HeLa and WI-38 cells were used and then assessed by cell adhesion assay and WST-1 assay. The powder emitted far infrared rays at wavelengths between 4 to 16µm. The multiplication rate of WI-38 cells showed no significant differences between the conventional culture (control group) and culture on the powder (FIR group). However, at six days after incubation, HeLa cells of FIR group had a significantly lower multiplication rate compared with the control group. Based on the far infrared rays emitted in this study, bamboo charcoal powder proved to be a promising dental filler material for cancer prevention.

Key words : Bamboo charcoal powder, Far infrared rays (FIR), HeLa cells
+++

Now note :L " However, at six days after incubation, HeLa cells of FIR group had a significantly lower multiplication rate * * * "

This looks to jibe up with RR's bacteria result.

The IR property seems to be imparted by the kiln process, with traditional flame firing surpassing electric kiln in IR out put.

Its worth investigating.IMO

OOPse :

Forgot to ask vinzy_a

Coir with charcoal ?!! What is this product used for?

Thanks

--------------------

Edited by JaComet (11/13/06 08:47 AM)

Offlineeltrkbrd
Stranger
Re: Charcoal’s Secret - Difference between Activated Charcoal and Activated Carbon? [Re: JaComet]
    #6664954 - 03/13/07 04:28 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Is there any difference between activated carbon and activated charcoal?

17 oz of Activated Carbon Pellets by Aquatic Gardens was purchased from Petco for $6 instead of spending $9 at Wholefoods for 3oz of Nature's Way Activated Charcoal (280 mg - 100 Capsules).

Here's the type of Activated Carbon purchased: http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Product_R_156_PC_productlist_Nav_221_N_24+143_sku_287571_familyID_100372.aspx#details

vs. Nature's way Activated Charcoal here: http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Way-Activated-Charcoal

The Plan is to use this in Monstermitch's LC Tek for a Core Biopsy Clone as seen here: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5668699/an/0/page/0

Any feedback?

-Thanks

--------------------
My way of giving back- Thanks Shroomery...
A For Newbs by Newbs Cultivation Resource Journal: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6748262/an/0/page/0

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: Charcoal’s Secret - Difference between Activated Charcoal and Activated Carbon? [Re: eltrkbrd]
    #6664971 - 03/13/07 04:35 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Could it be way coffee works?

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Offlineeltrkbrd
Stranger
Re: Charcoal’s Secret - Difference between Activated Charcoal and Activated Carbon? [Re: Brainiac]
    #6665226 - 03/13/07 05:40 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Not sure, just need to know if there is a difference between "Activated Carbon" and "Activated Charcoal" for use in LC's as described above. It appears to be the same thing other than not being Food Grade and perhaps trace minerals and the way it is derived (from wood, bone, etc).

-Thanks

--------------------
My way of giving back- Thanks Shroomery...
A For Newbs by Newbs Cultivation Resource Journal: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6748262/an/0/page/0

InvisibleJaComet
Old Hand

Re: Charcoal’s Secret - Difference between Activated Charcoal and Activated Carbon? [Re: eltrkbrd]
    #6671697 - 03/15/07 08:53 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Eltrkbrd,

There is a difference. Activated Carbon is most often prepared from coal and/or oil refinery residues of some kind. It is denser in structure and tends to have a shiny appearance.

Unsuitable IMO. You’ll find it hard to powder.

Food grade charcoal should always be of vegetable origin. Willow tree charcoal is a standard for emergency poison treatment with coconut quickly gaining favor.

Given the small amounts of charcoal needed I would stick with the higher priced material or look for a bag of Agricultural Charcoal at a garden supply.

Best of success with your experiment.

--------------------

Invisiblejoshua m
Not a NoOb
Male

Loc: MiD wEsT
    #7955570 - 01/30/08 03:27 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Interesting stuff. I add activated charcoal to my agar when doing specialty experiments such as germinating very old spores or crossing strains. I've noticed healthier mycelium when grown on activated charcoal, but not necessarily faster or more growth.

I've also noticed a decrease in bacterial contamination when charcoal is used, and bacterial colonies that do get started, seem to stall out after a couple of days, then are overran by the mycelium.

I doubt it's the small amount of infrared that is suppressing the bacteria, but who knows?

So this question still exists if RR is right that in the laboratory carbon makes healthier mycelium. Then why can.t it produce better mycelium in grain jars. Notice he did not say more growth but HEALTHIER which in my book would equal better fruits.

So if it were ground to dust why couldn't it be ground up in a hand grain grinder and put in the rye, wbs etc jars.

PS i have done this and will tell the result but i wanna hear some opinions

--------------------
We can't stop here...This is bat country!!!

Fear and Loathing is the greatest movie ever!!!

OfflineYrat
Hello

Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: joshua m]
    #7955851 - 01/30/08 04:25 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

charcoal emits IR radiation? lol???

i am not doubting the benefits of charcoal to culture growth, but that is some serious bs.

charcoal just happens to emit electromagnetic radiation while it just sits around? Where does it get this energy from? Show me some charcoal glowing on an IR (nightvision) camera and I will be astounded.

--------------------
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root."
-Henry David Thoreau
Strike The Root

InvisibleSheikCorp
Stranger

Re: Charcoal’s Secret : [Re: Yrat]
    #7956034 - 01/30/08 05:08 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

maybe burning charcoal does? heh

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules, CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order