Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Loc: ^^ His house ^^
Best NONE-DESSICANT mushroom drying tek?
    #745082 - 07/14/02 08:29 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hye people,

I need to know what is the best drying tek for mushrooms that doesn't involve dessicant. The reason i cant use dessicant is because i cant find any! I went to like 6 big stores and none had it. Whats the best method that will keep potency loss to a minimum? How long it takes doesnt matter as long as its not like 2 weeks....

Thanks a bunch!
Fd

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
Re: Best NONE-DESSICANT mushroom drying tek? [Re: Fd3000]
    #745136 - 07/14/02 09:05 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Okay fd,

No problem on either front;

Buy a $20 food dehydrator and disconnect the heating element. It'll dry your shrooms cracker dry in 24-36 hours in a room with an rh of around 30%. (I run my a/c and get it that low easily)

Also, as for dessicant, The Spore Haven offers a large bag of calcium chloride for about $6. Or you can see if you can find some "Ice Melt" at the local hardware store or ice cream making supply house. Damp-Rid is carried by most supermarkets, Home Depot and Wal-Mart. It's a rip-off though 'cause it's just calcium chloride anyway. You can get 50 times the amount for the same price by buying "Ice Melt".

Hope this helps!

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
    #745147 - 07/14/02 09:15 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, get yourself a dehydrator......diconnect the heating element if you think its necassary. I never did. Use the dehydrator as a rack system and fan dry them. Then turn the dehydrator on to finish them up. If I was in a hurry I would put the fruit in it with it on......never noticed a difference in potency, and if there were.....it wasent noticable.

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

Offlinewalt
?
    #745160 - 07/14/02 09:18 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

dude you can find dessicant.

but who knows you havn't conquered perlite yet either.

i've got like six cups of perlite in a sterlite soaked in water and added peroxide.

humidity is at 96%.

try an auto parts store.

but a lot of people seem to think the dehydrators work best.

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Re: Best NONE-DESSICANT mushroom drying tek? [Re: walt]
    #745164 - 07/14/02 09:22 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Dude why are you talking about perlite?

The food dehydrator sounds good but im short on cash now so maybe ill just buy some calcium cloride(sp) from The Spore Haven....

Thanks for the help,
Fd

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

Edited by Fd3000 (07/14/02 09:23 AM)

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

#745204 - 07/14/02 09:44 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I checked all the links at The Shroomery sponsor page http://www.shroomery.org/donations/banners.php and none sold calcuim cloride or dessicant, does anyone know where i can get it online?

Thanks!
Fd

--------------------

Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
    #745220 - 07/14/02 09:49 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Go shopping a few of your local thrift stores. I picked up a dehydrator for 8 bucks. One can find many useful things at thrift stores: Canners, dehydrators, food processors, grinders, mason jars and so on....

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
    #745224 - 07/14/02 09:50 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Why not try either a box fan with a screen over it (pulling the air down with the shrooms on top) or the one TEK here on shroomery with the lamp/black t-shirt?

Honestly...this shouldn't be difficult. I vote dehydrator though...that's the route I went...but I know what you mean about tight budgets.

Good luck.

Bop

Offlinemeathead579
Loc: My house
    #745234 - 07/14/02 09:56 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Every Walmart I have been to carries Damp Rid. It is in the Detergent/Cleaning Supplies Section. I PROMISE YOU it is there. It is about $3 for a half gallon. In my walmart its right next to the brooms and mops. ITS THERE! Promise.

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Re: Best NONE-DESSICANT mushroom drying tek? [Re: meathead579]
    #745263 - 07/14/02 10:14 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I went to 2 wal-marts, 3 home-depos and a variety of of other gereral stores, none had anything like dessicant. I asked alot of employies at each store, all said they didnt have it or didnt know what it is.....

Can i buy it online?
Fd

--------------------

InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
    #745270 - 07/14/02 10:21 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I told you The Spore Haven has it cheap!
(their site's down at the moment, but will be back up soon I'm sure)

Or just e-mail Bagman bagmandsl@thesporehaven.com and ask him.

Or buy some damn "Ice-Melt" at the fuckin' hardware store!

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TM™ :cool:

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #745298 - 07/14/02 10:39 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

If you used the friggin search button you'd see that not only is this question asked 2 - 3 times each week, but that you can go to a craft store (assuming you're capable of finding one) and buy some silica gel flower drying crystals.

And it's spelled desiccant.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
    #745312 - 07/14/02 10:56 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Do you expect employees of those fine establishments to understand the word?
Ask for, as has been mentioned, damp-rid, drierite, etc etc etc..

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Re: Best NONE-DESSICANT mushroom drying tek? [Re: DinoMyc]
    #745352 - 07/14/02 11:29 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Ya i asked for damp-rid dry-rite and all that crap and they still didnt have it....oh well

Fd

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #745490 - 07/14/02 01:05 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

hi......bro

I have bought several food dehyrdators from the local thrift stores.
Most of them are brand new people just buy them and don't use them....then they send them off to the thrift stores as donations.

The American Harvest Snackmaster is a great one.
They cost $65.00 new.....and come with 4 trays.
It has a temp control.....and it can use up to 10 trays.
I keep buying them up at the thrift stores for $2.99 to $5.99

I have an extra one if you are interested.
You can buy extra trays online.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinecdlove69
enthusiast
Loc: Never Never Lan
    #745491 - 07/14/02 01:05 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

just goto

http://www.desiccare.com/homeprod.htm

goto Bulk dessicants and order yourself a pale of silica gel or molecular sieve!

this stuff is the shit!

a doggy humper fan dries for 6 hours and then buries the mushes in the silica gel and WHAMMO they are cracker dry in 24-48 hours!!!

Silica Gel is the shizznitz and you can use it forever... Very good investment... That Damp-rid crap you gotta renew once it is all used up... no good

so do yourself a favor and buy some bulk dessicant and you can use it for anything forever!

--------------------
Hi Mr. Po-Po... I'm drunk!!!

The Little Guy! <-- Best Syringes I've recieved!
The Hawks Eye <-- Best prints I've recieved!
The Sporeworks <-- Awesome service

OfflineSquid
withdrawn fromthe everdayworld

#745514 - 07/14/02 01:17 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I'm thinking of getting a food dehydrater myself. Dessicants can be a pain in the ass. Especially damp-rid. It turns to liquid and rusts my screens. Gets nasty too.
I went to walwart and they have a food dehydrater there for $40. It does have a temp control, however the lowest setting is 95 degrees. That should be fine I think, since my grow room gets above that at times.
And that never harmed them.

--------------------
A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move towards higher levels. -A. Einstein

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: Squid]
    #745910 - 07/14/02 04:25 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #746002 - 07/14/02 05:02 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

My local Wal-Mart didn't have dri-rite, or damp rid either. I did, however find a 10 pound jug of Prestone "Driveway Heat" It is pure Calcium Chloride Pellets. Any automotive store or section should have some kind of Calcium Chloride ice melter. Look on the back, it should say on it somewhere "Calcium Chloride"

What I use is a quart jar with about an inch of CaCl in the bottom, stuff a clean sock into it, pull the top of the sock over the outside of the jar and make sure that the sock isn't touching the CaCl. Screw the lid on over the sock, and a tiny little bit of CaCl will last a long, long time. Fan dry the shrooms first before you put them in.

It would hold at least a ounce and a half I'm sure.

When they are dry move them to another identical jar for storage before you put any more in or the new ones will soften the older ones.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineSquid
withdrawn fromthe everdayworld

Re: Best NONE-DESSICANT mushroom drying tek? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #747334 - 07/15/02 06:36 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I see alot of people saying they throw calcium chloride in the bottom of a jar, but there is no run off for the liquid that forms. Sounds like the jar tek makes a big mess.

--------------------
A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move towards higher levels. -A. Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds