Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleLinkA
Intrinsically No Good

Loc: Lost Woods, Hyrule
Re: is casing a good idea for a newbie?
    #73594 - 02/05/00 12:53 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

i cased my first time, and i don't regret it. try the SOS casing tek. http://www.shroomery.org/findorgrowthem.asp?View=docs&doc=100
it's good for beginners, because if you lose a casing, you're only out half a cake. i tried fruiting straight off the cakes after doing SOS. i'll never stray from casing again. the yeilds are sooo much better than off the cakes.

good luck,
Link

------------------
In the beginning the Universe was created...
This made a lot of people angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
-- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

--------------------
Wonder had gone away, and he had forgotten that all life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.  -- H.P. Lovecraft "The Silver Key"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: is casing a good idea for a newbie? [Re: Link]
    #73596 - 02/05/00 01:11 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I'm certainly not the most experienced person on here, but here's my 2 cents.

My second time I tried casing (wizard tek) and lost 2 trays to cobweb mold.

This time, I was more careful and my casings are fruiting alongside a bunch of cakes and, so far, the fruits on the cakes look more healthy than the casing. The ones on the cake (eqs) have nice bright white stems and golden, fat healthy caps, but the ones in the casing (also eqs) have off-color stems and darker, discolored caps. They may yet surprise me, since I know that casing beats the pants off of cakes when done right, but...

for your first time, I'd stick with cakes, especially if you've only got 6 to play with.

And since casing presents more of a danger of contamination, I would be really concerned casing cakes from a batch that has already seen contamination, as you mentioned.

If you're determined to try casing, I'd case 2 cakes SOS and fruit the remaining four cakes, that way you'd be guaranteed a few prints for the future, plus a couple trips.

Good luck!

GT

[This message has been edited by GorgeousTortoise (edited February 05, 2000).]

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #73597 - 02/06/00 01:16 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

"I out of it for a little while and now everyone is having delusions of grandeur"
-Han Solo
Casings aren't a gaurantee, even with experience. Fruiting cakes is nearly gauranteed after colonization. Get your first generation under your belt, take plenty of prints, maybe even attempt a clone, then experiment all you want.
or if you don't mind wasting money on more spores, case and buy more spores if you fail.

------------------
-From a registered Mad Scientist

"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obiwan Kenobi (also a Mad Scientist tm)

[This message has been edited by mycofile (edited February 07, 2000).]

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflinePsychonaut
seeker

Loc: Vancouver Island, Canada
    #73598 - 02/06/00 01:32 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

]

[This message has been edited by Psychonaut (edited January 08, 2001).]

--------------------
FungusFun.com

Invisibleshroom|ord
enthusiast
    #73599 - 02/06/00 04:53 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I don't like the SOS casing tek. I found it to be more prone to contams than cakes and the yield isn't big enough to make me want to use it instead of just plain cakes.

Infact, I don't think taking the risk of contams and going to the trouble to case is worth it. Cakes have always worked just fine for me and have provided me with more than enough personal yield. So, unless you're a dealer or you have a shitload of friends (family?) that you're growing for, just stick to cakes and use the double ending casing tek if you have to case.

Offlineatlas
always listening
Male
    #73600 - 02/05/00 10:30 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

ok this is what you should do..
This go around don't case, just fruit off cakes. The reason for this is so you can get some fruit and be happy but more than that it is to take prints"lots of prints." After this first run then you can use the prints to make a shit load of cakes. The reason to make a lot more the second go is to have the capability to screw up and laugh about it b/c you have another ten cakes that we know you left alone. Get the point, become self sustained before you try things that are iffy....
good luck

--------------------
"....there are no restraints on the Federal Reserve, the Fed is master of all it controls."
-Murray N. Rothbard

OfflineLillSkit
old hand
    #73601 - 02/06/00 11:48 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

If you have a couple of cakes to play with i would definatly(sp?) case...
Case 2 jars and grow the other ones as cakes..

You will also see the big d?fference between casing/no casing...

Since its your first time i would recomend to go with the "vermiculite only" casing since it is very easy and reliable....
Just be sure that you have 100% colonized cakes and a sterile working space...

I myself dont usually sterilize my casing layer..
But if you want to take some extra precausions (sp?) sterilize the verm. first... (recomended)

I say - go for itit baby..!!!! :biggrin:

Anonymous

#73602 - 02/06/00 09:52 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Sea of Shrooms casing was the best thing I had ever done for my growing technique.

Anonymous

#73603 - 02/07/00 09:54 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Just wanted to give you all an update on my opinion of casing, which has changed drastically over the past two days...

Casing Rocks!

My friend has casings fruiting for the first time ever, and they look twice as good as the cakes next to them. He usually gets 2 or 3 big shrooms and a bunch of small ones per cake/per flush... right now he has a single cake cased and its first flush gave him 6 big (8" stems, 1.5" caps) shrooms and 6 or 8 small ones (2-3" tall).

I still say case a couple cakes, a fruit the others straight, just to guarantee yourself some amount of success and encouragement for the next go'round.

GT

Anonymous

#73604 - 02/07/00 07:33 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I'd say to stick with cakes. If you decide togo with casing then you could lose alot...think about it. All you need is one cap, and that ansures you plenty of prints from there. good luck

------------------
If your not living on the edge....Then your taking up to much space.

Anonymous

#73605 - 02/07/00 07:47 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I think SOS casings are fine for beginners, sterilize the casing layer though. I have always gotton at least one flush off of them, and its usually pretty nice :biggrin: I had really bad luck with verm only casing, it dried out too easily for me, at least with peat and verm I can tell by the color that it needs some misting.

Anonymous

#73606 - 02/08/00 06:27 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Want perfect casings everytime with never getting contams? Get rid of the peat, and exchange it with verm only. I've never had a contammed casing when I used verm only.

For newbies... sure, I did and yielded tons of shrooms. Never did a big cake run, just one my fourth time or so, and I wasn't impressed.

ootw.

Anonymous

#73607 - 02/08/00 07:55 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Can someone please explain what casing is? I am under the impression that it is combining two jar cakes into one. Is this true?

Anonymous

#73608 - 02/08/00 08:03 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Trailzzz- go to Grow/Find, click on Growing Mushrooms, the click on Casing.

Even from that, it can be hard to figure it out when you're a newbie (you can tell "how" but you can't tell "why", which a lot of the experienced guys don't understand...)

When you case, you take the colonized cake/substrate, and "sandwich" it between soil/peat/vermiculite/etc...

It basically gives the substrate and shrooms more access to water (and sometimes nutrients) and gives them a bigger "base" from which to grow.

The result, bigger, healthier shrooms and a greater number of flushes (or times to fruit).

GT

ps don't be surprised if you catch shit for asking this question. I'm not calling the people here *anal* but... :smile:

Anonymous

#73609 - 02/08/00 08:14 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

GT puts it pretty simply and pretty close to accurately. :smile: Technically casing is for only adding water. Bulk substrates are for adding nutrients and a bit of water. Two big seperate things.

That's why I've always been a big fan of tossing the peat out the window. Verm holds a lot more water than peat, so it functions better as a "pure casing". Also verm is non-organic, so there are no nutrients for contams to grab a hold of.

The idea is to make a mushroom cake sandwich. Put some water saturated verm on the bottom (1/2 inch to 1 inch). Then put your cut up cake, or sliced cake. Then put a small layer on top.

No need to bake verm, or anything else. It's non-organic so there is nothing alive in there :smile:.

Later,
ootw.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck