Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTerrarium_Guy
Sensei

Loc: ...beyond the sun...
Cakes versus Casings: A newbies results
    #364006 - 07/31/01 05:08 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

My FOAF started off with 12 colonized jars. He cased 4 of them into 2 metal loaf pans and left the other 8 as cakes. The cakes yielded 10g dried on the first flush. My friend was just about to think that the casings were going nowhere when all of a sudden there were pins everywhere. The total yield off the first flush of the casings yielded 76 three to seven inch shrooms. Dry weight not available yet, will post in a couple of days. Just a few facts for those who are interested:

The cakes were cased on both ends.

The casings were done ala 50% vermiculite and 50% Jiffy Mix. One inch verm on bottom, 2 inches substrate, and one inch Jiffy Mix.

Perlite proved to be too much humidity. Proper humidity had to be achieved by running an aquarium airpump 24/7 and leaving terrarium lid slightly open, about a quarter inch which kept a steady 91% humidity level.

After seeing pins my friend had employed a neglect tek to the casings.

The cakes produced only 2-6 shrooms per cake.

High humidity (96%) levels for the cakes created shrooms that could not support their own weight. Kind of droopy. Perhaps that cakes would benefit from a slight drop in humidity upon the appearance of pins?

Casing is the only way my friend is going to go from now on. Much easier to control, perlite is not needed, and care is minimal. It was not difficult at all, moisture was kept on the low end once pins appeared, he just fanned twice a day and didn't mist at all. However, upon appearance of the pins he injected water around the perimeter of the casings.

Oh yeah about the results! Four grams EQ produced unbelievable visuals. A thorough six hour journey. Very, very clean buzz. Happy and in control. My friend is very pleased.

My friend has one question. What does he do after the first flush with casings to facilitate a second flush?

Hope this helps someone. Peace

Through this fungus I can be the Master of Reality whenever I close my eyes.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
Re: Cakes versus Casings: A newbies results [Re: Terrarium_Guy]
    #364009 - 07/31/01 05:29 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Loosen up the casing layer with a fork, fill in the gaps where the casings pulled away from the sides and resume daily mistings. Up the humidity until pins reappear and give them fresh air 2 - 3 times a day. You should see pins within a week.

InvisibleTerrarium_Guy
Sensei

Re: Cakes versus Casings: A newbies results [Re: puscle]
    #364010 - 07/31/01 05:33 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks Puscle!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #364026 - 07/31/01 06:26 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

You're welcome! Your experience mirrors my own.

Invisiblewind_wraith
veteran
    #364126 - 07/31/01 12:01 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Those are some good yields! I'm envious. What strain did you use?

I am a figment of my own imagination
http://go.to/FreeSporeRing

--------------------
I am a figment of my own imagination
http://go.to/FreeSporeRing

Offlinethegoldenteacher
enthusiast
Loc: central NC
Re: Cakes versus Casings: A newbies results [Re: wind_wraith]
    #364132 - 07/31/01 12:38 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

thanks terr guy for that encouragement! I have 12 colonizing cakes and am sorta scared from casing! :( I think I may do it now that you said this though, I notice for some reasons beginners always seem to do poorly with cakes, whereas they can do alright with casing first time, so maybe this is what I will do, hehe!! :) or my friend I mean. thanks for the support!!!!

Originally no one is deluded.
-bankei

--------------------
peace, happiness, love, girls, joy, euphoria, warmth, fuzzy, girls, touch, feeling, girls.
-me

Offlinealuminum_can
addict
Loc: california, orange
    #364133 - 07/31/01 12:40 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

damn!! i got pretty good yields from cakes when i was using hippie tek!!! i cased 6 cakes into 3 loaf pans 2 days ago. i am wondering what to expect.

if you have any old equipment that you want to get rid of that you are willing to trade for some new stuff the go here to:
Closet Cultivation

--------------------
the little kridders of nature; they dont know that thyre ugly!

OfflineMattyB
enthusiast
    #364153 - 07/31/01 01:23 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Make sure to keep the casing moist after the first flush. After you get another flush, make sure you clean off all abhorts (check closely since many will hide in the nooks and crannies of the casing), add some extra casing once more in spots where you picked shrooms, and expect a third flush to appear more slowly than the first and second ones--up to a week or more.

InvisibleTerrarium_Guy
Sensei

Re: Cakes versus Casings: A newbies results [Re: wind_wraith]
    #364581 - 08/01/01 04:45 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

The strain grown was Equador. The casings worked better for me than the cakes did. After the casings were assembled the rest was easy. It took a week from making the casings until the mycelium growth was right. Then exactly a week later my friend had shrooms out the ass. Care was minimal: twice daily fanning, air pump 24/7, and 78 degree temp with the appropraite humidity levels throughout the experiment.

It sure is a nice feeling to see the dessicant drying chamber so crowded.

Attention Newbies! Don't be afraid to case. I followed the "Casing for Dummies" tek by Hongus and followed it to the letter. Just follow the directions and control the light, temperature, and humidity for the various growth stages and it will work. Do not innovate, poke, prod, over mist, or anything or you invite failure. JUST FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS EXACTLY! The yields from casing will blow your fuckin' mind.

Peace and good luck!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate